Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on October 08, 2008, 09:15:43 PM
he's busy ;) is rafferty still with S,niell?  or will he make his way back to his second club and make a dream paring of McCartan and Rafferty ;D

raff for Antrim

Either would be more than acceptable, but nearlymad is referring to a Derry man.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

lynchbhoy

Quote from: fred the red on October 08, 2008, 08:41:27 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 08, 2008, 08:20:51 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 08, 2008, 05:43:54 PM
I do mean that these boys have not when it boils down to it proved themselves lynchboy and thus have no right to have egos.

There are some very capable footballers in antrim. I'm not sure we have 15 but we have definitely around the 9 or 10 mark.

Michael McCann, Sean Kelly and ,when he fills out a bit, CJ McGourty would grace many county teams in the game. Justin Crozier should be likewise in a couple of years. We are very weak in the corner back and half forward areas though. If what we have is harnessed right though there is no reason we couldn't make a decent run in the qualifiers with the right draw. You play that 15 that beat Wiclow in the tommy murphy and some good results will come. Also a win in ulster would be desirable.

The one thing which White has given us in the past, which was sadly lacking before him and probably is again, is belief.  That is probably why he would be the "peoples" choice.
I think that even with 9 or ten decent players a good man can make a good team of them - Fermanagh being the example.
They have drawn Donegal, thats not going to be easy !

Delargy gives players belief, but if white does get it, delargy is young enough to be about for a future position, and he's prob gonna be doing something to improve his exp (or working in some capacity for the true love of his life - Antrim football ...his missus might dispute that though :D)

Are you a relation?
no , not at all !

saffron sam2

Quote from: nearlymad on October 09, 2008, 05:52:45 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 08, 2008, 09:40:15 PM
he's busy ;) is rafferty still with S,niell?  or will he make his way back to his second club and make a dream paring of McCartan and Rafferty ;D

raff for Antrim

Either would be more than acceptable, but nearlymad is referring to a Derry man.
A Derry man? How do you get that from my postings?

I didn't, a source close to the good doctor told me.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: milltown row on October 08, 2008, 08:01:57 PM
we are bound to get Tyrone in the championship at Casement

The old crystal ball needs a bitta polishing, Milltown !

saffron sam2

From today's irish News.

Delargy makes his case for Antrim job Gaelic Games
By Brendan Crossan

PORTGLENONE'S Frank Delargy has publicly thrown his hat in the ring to become the next senior football manager of Antrim.

Antrim's former U21 manager, who has been nominated by his club Roger Casement's, believes he has the credentials to beat favoured candidate Brian White to the post vacated by Jody Gormley at the end of the season.

Delargy, who has served an apprenticeship with Derry clubs Kilrea, Loup and Banagher in recent years, insists the potential within his native county is "unlimited" and hopes to be given the chance to step up to the inter-county stage.

Delargy refused to be drawn on the make-up of his backroom team, but was bullish in his election pitch yesterday.

"I think the potential in Antrim is unlimited if it is tapped into properly," he said.

"This managerial proposal is not about me, it's about a professional package – a thoroughly confident and proven backroom team that will leave no stone unturned to take Antrim football to a new level."

He added: "I intend to contest this position on the grounds that I have a proposal that could make a difference to Antrim football. The proposal is professional to its fingertips and there is a group of players in waiting who are good enough to explode onto a greater stage.

"It's essential we match the energy, ambition and organisation of other performing counties and we must expand our thinking on and off the field."

Delargy will submit a detailed curriculum vitae at the interview stage, outlining his plans, and puts significant emphasis on his managerial career at club level.

"I've served a great apprenticeship and learned a lot in the competitive field of Derry football. I've competed against some of the top managers there with success. So I think it's been a good grounding for me."

lynchbhoy

Maybe its an obvious thing for Delargy, but if he brought the notion of 'Discipline' into that article, then imo thats what any county would be looking for let alone Antrim.

Fred - I am no relation and have only spoke to the man once. He was just in charge of (one of) my club and I took a keen interest.

SS2 - who would you like fo rthe job (no you cant nominate Jody or any of the McGourtys)

nearlymad

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 09, 2008, 08:22:16 AM
Quote from: nearlymad on October 09, 2008, 05:52:45 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 08, 2008, 09:40:15 PM

raff for Antrim

A Derry man? How do you get that from my postings?

I didn't, a source close to the good doctor told me.
It's gets very interesting all this talk the Doctor and his friends.

imtommygunn

Your posts are interesting Lynchbhoy and if Delargy is what you say he is then he could be the man for the job. There are a lot of opinions on Delargy to the contrary though which is what worries me...

Is the Derry man the friend of the doctors or the manager candidate? Damian Barton?

Maximus Marillius

Look lads LB hasn't a clue about club football in Derry or a close insight to the men who manage club teams in Derry. Sorry LB...I have to tell the truth. LB has a foot in every county who is looking for a manager. Derry...Meath....Kildare...Cavan, and now Antrim :P :P :P :P :D

Ps forget to mention Dublin as well :P

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on October 09, 2008, 11:46:39 AM
Look lads LB hasn't a clue about club football in Derry or a close insight to the men who manage club teams in Derry. Sorry LB...I have to tell the truth. LB has a foot in every county who is looking for a manager. Derry...Meath....Kildare...Cavan, and now Antrim :P :P :P :P :D

Ps forget to mention Dublin as well :P
its called experience max, some of us have experienced life outside our own parishes and may know more than your arrogance suggests.
You are just sore because bellaghy couldnt beat Banagher when Delargy was in charge.

IMO Antrim have some good man coming up to take them through the next ten or twelve years.
White possibly, Delargy, Madden, then Rafferty in no particular order
(though Raff may opt for his own Armagh first).

I read our own new Derry managers list of managerial 'achievements' in the Irish news today - was a bit shocked to see that after all the hype, his only real senior achievement is winning a Derry senior championship with bellaghy....no big deal.
Sure thats like shooting fish in a barrel - Bellaghy are going to be in the top two or three every year.
By this token Madden is already at least equal to him,
If Delargy , too st galls then he'd win a senior also and be on a par too !

you dont have to have exp from every county to spot that !
cassidy talks the talk lets see if he can walk the walk. Many have reservations.
Sure everyone has reservations about a new manager at the start, its up tot them to prove themselves.
That goes for white, delargy, cassigy, Madden and Raff.

Jeez max - didnt think that being beaten by and drawing to Banagher cut you up that much !
:D

Donagh

4 pages of talk about Derry and there was me thinking this was the Antrim thread.

So whats the verdict on the St Teresa's v McDermotts final tomorrow evening? Should I bring a flack jacket or have the old grudges been buried firmly in the past?

imtommygunn

That could be a rough one!

Two teams who are possibly above competing in the junior too so the standard should be ok for junior.

Would expect st teresa's to win as mcdermotts seem to have went into a downward spiral in the last few years.

PlayWithTheWind

Quote from: Donagh on October 09, 2008, 11:42:38 PM
4 pages of talk about Derry and there was me thinking this was the Antrim thread.

So whats the verdict on the St Teresa's v McDermotts final tomorrow evening? Should I bring a flack jacket or have the old grudges been buried firmly in the past?
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2008, 03:09:56 PM
That could be a rough one!

Two teams who are possibly above competing in the junior too so the standard should be ok for junior.

Would expect st teresa's to win as mcdermotts seem to have went into a downward spiral in the last few years.

Junior Football Final Postponed

Tonight's Junior Football final has been postponed due to a water-logged pitch.

From county website.
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Donagh

Only heard at about half six. Any word on the re-fixture?

saffron sam2

Heard another name as shoe-in for the manager's job from my source in the Antrim senior squad. If there is an iota of truth in this rumour, then I despair. A sort of tenuous link to Faughart, Co. Louth, but absolutely none to Dungiven. There is a massive difference in bringing a club team from division 5 to division 1 and managing a senior inter-county team.