Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

One factor in the number of championship finalists is the age demographic. Croziers, McCanns , Johnstons etc are beyond county playing age.

As people said I wouldn't get too worried yet. Armagh are a level above us. Where we get to in division three is the key thing. I honestly think survival is a result and if we were to get near promotion it would be bonus territory.

country bumpkin

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2023, 02:07:11 PM
One factor in the number of championship finalists is the age demographic. Croziers, McCanns , Johnstons etc are beyond county playing age.

As people said I wouldn't get too worried yet. Armagh are a level above us. Where we get to in division three is the key thing. I honestly think survival is a result and if we were to get near promotion it would be bonus territory.

Johnston's beyond county age...?

Mc Cann's pocketed championship medals again last year....Cargin handing out p45s.......Paul and Gerard 31.....and with Kevin Mc Shwith ane , Tomas and Mick....gonna get long rests......with John Carron

30+ scrap heap.....

imtommygunn

I am not in any way slating them. Going back to your point on the five nights a week you get to an age where you have commitments that don't suit that.

What is the older age of county players these days? Not much more than 30+ these days... just to be clear I am in no way talking about ability here.

The mckenna cup is the place to try the younger boys and mcentee is doing that. Teams like Armagh are just a level above us but the key thing is getting experience and eyes on a few players to take into the league.

Hopefully some of the "old" boys will come back too but it's a lot of commitment for people with young families and businesses too.

NAG1

Quote from: country bumpkin on January 05, 2023, 02:25:59 PM

Mc Cann's pocketed championship medals again last year....Cargin handing out p45s.......Paul and Gerard 31.....and with Kevin Mc Shwith ane , Tomas and Mick....gonna get long rests......with John Carron

30+ scrap heap.....

Probably the reason why the county is where is at the moment, when this is the case.

No doubting the quality there in the players above, but when they 'pocketing' medals in that age profile it is a little concerning for the health of the talent within the county.

country bumpkin

Quote from: NAG1 on January 05, 2023, 03:45:08 PM

30+ scrap heap.....

Probably the reason why the county is where is at the moment, when this is the case.

No doubting the quality there in the players above, but when they 'pocketing' medals in that age profile it is a little concerning for the health of the talent within the county.

Hard to find logic for this N1.....when more than 50% of that 2022 wining panel.were under 25 and Cargin did collect back to back minor titles in 20 and 2021......

And those 'veterans' all played lead roles in Cargin's win over the Donegal champions, and gave Ulster club champions a real scare in the provincial semi final......?

JimStynes

Safer pulling the pin on the whole thing sure. Stick to the hurling.

imtommygunn

;D Get more aghagallon boys in Jim!

country bumpkin

Quote from: JimStynes on January 05, 2023, 04:13:47 PM
Safer pulling the pin on the whole thing sure. Stick to the hurling.

Some woul look.forward to such scenario.......

JimStynes

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2023, 04:36:16 PM

Not a whole pile of hurling in Aghagallon

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on January 05, 2023, 05:06:26 PM

Or winning championships  ;)

Stick to camogie in Armagh ya splitters
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 05, 2023, 06:59:18 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 05, 2023, 05:06:26 PM

Or winning championships  ;)

Stick to camogie in Armagh ya splitters

At least we bate you antrim men last night!

Spike

Wouldn't read anything into last night's result other than confirmation of what we already knew about the level of some of the starters last night. We don't have a hidden gem in the county.   We're a div 3 team so understandable the result.

A bit of honesty wouldn't go amiss either.  The tide turned against McGinley last year when promotion was missed against louth.  Now survival seems to be acceptable to the masses.   

McEntee is an experienced and clever man.  I am hoping some of the Antrim league div 1 contenders will be sending more players up.  I dont expect large parts of that team to be in attendance come championship. 

Caesar

The players need to be invited so it's not a case of clubs sending more players up. Unless there are clubs seemingly discouraging their players from going up?

NAG1

Quote from: country bumpkin on January 05, 2023, 04:12:20 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on January 05, 2023, 03:45:08 PM

30+ scrap heap.....

Hard to find logic for this N1.....when more than 50% of that 2022 wining panel.were under 25 and Cargin did collect back to back minor titles in 20 and 2021......

And those 'veterans' all played lead roles in Cargin's win over the Donegal champions, and gave Ulster club champions a real scare in the provincial semi final......?

You made my exact point, the Veterans were the boys who got you over the line in county and ulster competition. Which is great for you, but for the health of the county the fact that these guys are still among the top performers in the county should be a worry for any county manager.

As has been said here the county age profile is dropping and unfortunately these boys are now out of that age profile.

Spike

Quote from: Caesar on January 06, 2023, 08:21:34 AM
The players need to be invited so it's not a case of clubs sending more players up. Unless there are clubs seemingly discouraging their players from going up?

Wouldnt expect so, at first glance the team looked curious.  .  I would expect that squad to change drastically between now and ulster championship.  Às someone posted earlier, last years semi finalists panel members appear light but get that McEntee needs to see what he is working with before the inevitable cull comes. And of course we need younger members to get experience regardless of participation this season.