Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: ck on May 29, 2022, 12:14:10 AM
Quote from: bannside on May 28, 2022, 07:14:36 PM
When appropriate there is plenty of time to have that discussion. And we won't be managerless, let's put it that way.

I want to be fair to McGinley as he deserves at least that but I would question if anything has advanced in his two years. Antrim took a risk in appointing a young man with little coaching experience who clearly was learning on the job.

I agree with BS in that the problems are much more deep rooted than the performance levels of the senior side but if you look at senior results in isolation then there has been little or no progress. Admittedly I only saw two games thus year but certainly what we were producing this year was pretty poor. Today was the final nail in the coffin.

Is it a mentality issue?

On this board, there just seems to be constant bikering - is that an indication of Antrim Gaa in general?

Look at Fermanagh, who have probably 1/2 the players are pushing on and competing at a reasaonable and consistent level on a yearly basis.

Historically, well for 30 / 40 years haven't bridged many gaps at inter-county level - so what's the problems/issues?

Outwith the fantastic St. Galls team, in club football, the champions don't register at Ulster level - minor or senior.

The hurlers seem to have their house in order - competing at their league level and hopefully win the Joe Mc Donagh next Saturday evening.

bannside

The question here is simply - is the current management equipped to get their house back in order in time for next year?  Nothing to do with how many Cargin players are on the panel, or who is asking the question! Or how good the management trio were as players, because that guarantees nothing.

Spike, agree, we arnt division two material, or if we squeezed up for a year we would probably come straight back down. But I don't expect us to get torn apart by division four teams either. Yesterday Leitrim toyed with us, they were 12 up and took their foot off the pedal, and still missed 1 -05 in the last ten minutes. Make no mistake, Antrim were a shambles yesterday. It's going to be really hard to retrieve that situation I think, and it's only normal that hard questions are bring asked.

If it was Dawson or Gormley they would be asked, yes/no?

Regarding age, as Mick proved, it is no barrier. If you're good enough age dosent matter! Give youth a fling if they are ripping the place up in training. If not they should join the queue. If we have a Michael Murphy or Paddy Mc Brearty in our midst at 17 I must have missed it.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on May 29, 2022, 11:22:54 AM
The question here is simply - is the current management equipped to get their house back in order in time for next year?  Nothing to do with how many Cargin players are on the panel, or who is asking the question! Or how good the management trio were as players, because that guarantees nothing.

Spike, agree, we arnt division two material, or if we squeezed up for a year we would probably come straight back down. But I don't expect us to get torn apart by division four teams either. Yesterday Leitrim toyed with us, they were 12 up and took their foot off the pedal, and still missed 1 -05 in the last ten minutes. Make no mistake, Antrim were a shambles yesterday. It's going to be really hard to retrieve that situation I think, and it's only normal that hard questions are bring asked.

If it was Dawson or Gormley they would be asked, yes/no?

Regarding age, as Mick proved, it is no barrier. If you're good enough age dosent matter! Give youth a fling if they are ripping the place up in training. If not they should join the queue. If we have a Michael Murphy or Paddy Mc Brearty in our midst at 17 I must have missed it.
No I am afraid are we able to supply any manager the players equipped to deal with life in the Saffron in which ever division......
See them all and afraid we are not blessed with a suitable supply of players....who mentioned Cargin...?

Spike

You wanted the kids to get a chance and they got it.  Now you're complaining about the result, and in a competition no one gives a toss about.  Whatever way its spun it comes down to lack of talent and squad depth.  We would have taken div 3 survival  at the start of the year now our expectations have gone so far past that we've lost the run of ourselves.    We are in no place to scoff at div 4 teams, God knows we spent long enough down there to realise it was a nightmare to get out of.   

Some of us need to look at ourselves and see our contributions to the cause in the latter half of the season.    Derry finished poorly yet the supporters got behind them because they saw progress.  We piled on and slaughtered the management team and now any goodwill has gone.        Enda is an up and coming manager learning his trade and has made progress - competed for div 2 promotion is massive from where we were when he took over.   We can't pay for the established managers nor their backroom staff.  Hes working with a county and squad 10 years behind in player development, physique, decision making and mental fortitude.     

Lazy and quick fix attitudes are why Antrim are the way we are.      I won't be surprised if enda leaves.  Goodwill has gone and nothing less than div 2 promotion will sate the hurlers from the ditch on here.  And we are nowhere near div 2 ready.     Staying in div 3 looks to be the aim already for next year along with a massive physical conditioning programme.   Time to catch ourselves on. 

country bumpkin

Quote from: Spike on May 29, 2022, 11:51:15 AM
You wanted the kids to get a chance and they got it.  Now you're complaining about the result, and in a competition no one gives a toss about.  Whatever way its spun it comes down to lack of talent and squad depth.  We would have taken div 3 survival  at the start of the year now our expectations have gone so far past that we've lost the run of ourselves.    We are in no place to scoff at div 4 teams, God knows we spent long enough down there to realise it was a nightmare to get out of.   

Some of us need to look at ourselves and see our contributions to the cause in the latter half of the season.    Derry finished poorly yet the supporters got behind them because they saw progress.  We piled on and slaughtered the management team and now any goodwill has gone.        Enda is an up and coming manager learning his trade and has made progress - competed for div 2 promotion is massive from where we were when he took over.   We can't pay for the established managers nor their backroom staff.  Hes working with a county and squad 10 years behind in player development, physique, decision making and mental fortitude.     

Lazy and quick fix attitudes are why Antrim are the way we are.      I won't be surprised if enda leaves.  Goodwill has gone and nothing less than div 2 promotion will sate the hurlers from the ditch on here.  And we are nowhere near div 2 ready.     Staying in div 3 looks to be the aim already for next year along with a massive physical conditioning programme.   Time to catch ourselves on.

Sin e...Spike....

Some within want us to swim an ocean when.most in our county who have not been taught how to swim......

Milltown Row2

So can we stop blaming managers? In the past it was open house on managers and it's great to see, refreshing in fact. So let's keep that attitude going forward
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: marty34 on May 29, 2022, 10:33:01 AM
When appropriate there is plenty of time to have that discussion. And we won't be managerless, let's put it that way.

I want to be fair to McGinley as he deserves at least that but I would question if anything has advanced in his two years. Antrim took a risk in appointing a young man with little coaching experience who clearly was learning on the job.

I agree with BS in that the problems are much more deep rooted than the performance levels of the senior side but if you look at senior results in isolation then there has been little or no progress. Admittedly I only saw two games thus year but certainly what we were producing this year was pretty poor. Today was the final nail in the coffin.

Is it a mentality issue?

On this board, there just seems to be constant bikering - is that an indication of Antrim Gaa in general?

Look at Fermanagh, who have probably 1/2 the players are pushing on and competing at a reasaonable and consistent level on a yearly basis.

Historically, well for 30 / 40 years haven't bridged many gaps at inter-county level - so what's the problems/issues?

Outwith the fantastic St. Galls team, in club football, the champions don't register at Ulster level - minor or senior.

The hurlers seem to have their house in order - competing at their league level and hopefully win the Joe Mc Donagh next Saturday evening.

The hurlers are still within a million years of competing for All Irelands though.

Spike

Duine, stand by it. Lenny made zero progress.....and Lennybisnt coming back.  So thanks for the constructive contribution

Hope spending the morning searching my old posts was worth it, you won't get that time back.  Safe to say Enda has a better CV than you. 

Spike

Quote from: bannside on May 29, 2022, 12:12:06 PM
Hold on a minute before people start losing the run of themselves.

Andy Moran took over a Leitrim team that hadn't won a match of any kind in 2020 or 2021. He had no management experience either. He didn't have ten years of optimum physical or mental preparation of his players. He wasn't able to fall back on any tradition of success in Leitrim schools.

But what he did get was the basics right. And from a coaching or technical perspective Enda isn't. Our defence is a complete shambles. We have no threat up front. Players are being played completely out of position. I can't comment on man management but can someone explain why so many walk aways?

All we ask for is to get the basics right. But we are not. We arnt demanding success, or promotion to Div 2. That's lazy narrative. What we do expect is to be COMPETITIVE in our grade, and on our last 4 showings this has been AWOL.

If we had lost to Louth Westmeath Cavan or Leitrim by a few points here or there, but were competitive (or unlucky - it happens) then there's a good chance we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But that's not the case...and even Enda loyalists know this. 

Back to the question. Has the bubble burst or not?

Safe to say both yours and my knowledge of the inners workings and talents of Leitrim football wouldnt be worth much BS. 

Yes the bubble has burst and for all the usual reasons of which laziness is at the forefront. 

If a grown man at 25 years of age cant do the basic skills, spent time getting the correct physique nor use correct decision making, then enda, micky harte nor Jim gavin is going to sort that out. 

Most likely we are looking for a new manager now so who is the options and will you (BS) be putting your name into the hat?

country bumpkin

And Baker took us to Division two....and within a few minutes of beatning Kerry....but we couldn't wait to see the back of him.
Both John Morrison and Brian White had us on the positive trail....same.

Am afraid Enda Mc may well pull the plug, but who is going to put the hand up to follow.
Will we get a new management team carrying their Ireland medals?.....
Doubt it..?

bannside

We are officially looking for a new management team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on May 29, 2022, 12:05:24 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 29, 2022, 10:33:01 AM

Is it a mentality issue?

The hurlers are still within a million years of competing for All Irelands though.

And playing in the correct competition and with progress to improve going forward. Antrim are a yo-yo county in hurling, they are real on expectations.

Antrim football should not competing for Sam Maguire or Ulster championships. Entering it is daft, the TC won't be the fix people want as seen here by some posts and by the attitude of players who stepped away.

We are in fact a junior county team and would need to win that competition before entering the intermediate championship.

Back to bashing managers again.. ah well didn't last long  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 29, 2022, 12:45:55 PM
You are an out and out homer, incapable of any rational thinking on Enda's management. He's your man and you'll afford him all the opportunities that you wouldn't afford others. That's nice and good luck with that.

And you still are still to tell wtf Duneane has to do with anything.....

Milltown Row2

I think DC should throw his hat into the ring here... successful, knows the players and has great knowledge of the Antrim leagues.

imtommygunn