Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Aghagallon and Dunloy game was hard to watch last night. Both teams well under strength. We were without 8/9 first team men and Dunloy had a load of young boys missing. I couldn't understand the Dunloy's tactics. Getting beat by 7/8 points after about 20mins and still playing 13 men behind the ball. Football is hard to watch at times these days. The second game was much better with Cargin and Creggan fielding strong enough teams and playing some decent football.

Na Glinntí Glasa

we were missing 14 players from yesterdays game. Some played a full 60mins against Loughgiel in the hurling the day before, 7 are playing in the U21 hurling semi final tonight against St Johns so werent allowed to play and others unavailable. The fact we fielded was lucky as the 2 subs havent kicked a ball in the past 2 years.

Its a pity as at full strength we would of made it a far better game. Nigel Elliott played that hurling match in midfield agianst Lgiel and then that full game yday. Not great preparation but thats the joy of being a dual club i suppose.
hurl like f**k boi!

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 08, 2017, 11:12:20 AM
we were missing 14 players from yesterdays game. Some played a full 60mins against Loughgiel in the hurling the day before, 7 are playing in the U21 hurling semi final tonight against St Johns so werent allowed to play and others unavailable. The fact we fielded was lucky as the 2 subs havent kicked a ball in the past 2 years.

Its a pity as at full strength we would of made it a far better game. Nigel Elliott played that hurling match in midfield agianst Lgiel and then that full game yday. Not great preparation but thats the joy of being a dual club i suppose.

Strange tactics nonetheless. Not having a go at Dunloy in but more so football in general. See it so often these days. IMO teams should always have a go. Disappointing for people who pay in to watch these matches never mind the players themselves. I understand that if your winning it makes sense to defend in large numbers but to play 13 men in defence for 60 mins makes it hard to watch 

paddyjohn

Quote from: Mickey Linden on May 08, 2017, 11:35:03 AM

Strange tactics nonetheless. Not having a go at Dunloy in but more so football in general. See it so often these days. IMO teams should always have a go. Disappointing for people who pay in to watch these matches never mind the players themselves. I understand that if your winning it makes sense to defend in large numbers but to play 13 men in defence for 60 mins makes it hard to watch

Teams in Div 3 in Antrim are playing with 13/14 behind the ball, shocking to watch.

country bumpkin

Cargin looked good in their win over Creggan despite being well past it according to a well known manager that is....'team of old men' he says.

Hectic

Most teams would struggle with having half a dozen players missing let alone what Dunloy had to contend with.  As DR says joys of being a dual club mean that sometimes there is just no other course of action than to sit down and prioritise.

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on May 08, 2017, 12:05:02 PM

Teams in Div 3 in Antrim are playing with 13/14 behind the ball, shocking to watch.

Problem of having a league where the top teams are miles ahead of the rest - in that case though you would think teams should just have a go anyway if they are already resigned to losing should maybe go out and try to play a bit of football - might be the only way they sharpen up their game a bit.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on May 08, 2017, 12:31:20 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on May 08, 2017, 12:05:02 PM

Problem of having a league where the top teams are miles ahead of the rest - in that case though you would think teams should just have a go anyway if they are already resigned to losing should maybe go out and try to play a bit of football - might be the only way they sharpen up their game a bit.

Spot on. Why not have a go instead of being boring to watch and I'd imagine boring to play in that system.

The Trap

Sarsfields 15-22 Mitchels 0-0....that's just not right....... :-[

Milltown Row2

Plenty armchair managers about today it seems. Make good barflys no doubt
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: The Trap on May 08, 2017, 01:10:24 PM

Who learns anything from that kinda game?

stiffler

Quote from: paddyjohn on May 08, 2017, 01:47:49 PM

Goalkeeper gets kick out practice ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Dreen

Tough one that for Dunloy, SW Football game thrown in the weekend of county hurling fixture is hard to work with.

They have had 2 great wins in the O'Cahan cup and to end up under strength at this stage is disappointing.

Great work going on there as dual clubs do have a lot to manage over a season.

paddyjohn

Quote from: stiffler on May 08, 2017, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on May 08, 2017, 01:47:49 PM

Goalkeeper gets kick out practice ?

True..

Na Glinntí Glasa

as ML says it was poor to watch. even when we had the ball they were too slow at trying to support the front men and were content to keep the score down. Only grace was that Aghagallon shot show some shocking poor wides for the hour. Mind you we were no better.

It wasnt great for anyone who paid in to watch that, like me lol
hurl like f**k boi!