Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galer

Seriously lads u 21 comp is more important than intermediate or junior champ as it second only to senior champ.it could b better timed as boys away at uni down south or england arent always available.As regards bs attitude to the county board does he not realise that this is a hurling board and dont give a rats ass abt fball

country bumpkin

Quote from: Galer on November 18, 2016, 03:44:03 PM
Seriously lads u 21 comp is more important than intermediate or junior champ as it second only to senior champ.it could b better timed as boys away at uni down south or england arent always available.As regards bs attitude to the county board does he not realise that this is a hurling board and dont give a rats ass abt fball
Sure that has been quite apparent for some time Galer.....................football and footballers are the poor relations....and the middle finger has been extended to our under-21 footballers for a long time.
Our county are as a laughing stock and despite the positivity of solid GAA people, like BS we are on the road to nowhere.

JimStynes

Is there big money coming from Croke Park for Antrim? Heard something about Croke Park pumping money into Antrim schools and underage development. Something similar to what they did in Dublin. Probably a load of shite.

bannside

We are great at feeling sorry for ourselves but what do we do about it? Yes the hurlers budget has for years dwarfed the football one, and there is a clear perception that juvenile hurlers get better gear, better away trips etc. In fact it would be interesting to hear the breakdown of those stats now, because I think a few years ago the hurling budget was almost double that of football. But why does this happen? Because no one from the football end is creating proper checks and balances. So we can all take a bit of the blame for that! But 100% we do need a few changes to a few structures and I'm not being antagonistic when I say that. We need a football sub committee to oversee some important aspects such as management criteria, budget equity and lots of other things.

And within football itself there are even less checks and balances. Here's a question?

Who or when was the last time any manager from South West Antrim had the honour of managing their county team....at any level.....at minor, under 21 or senior?

Knock yourselves out with that!

bannside

Not a bad time to ask that question actually in a year country teams won every championship. Senior Cargin, Senior Reserve Cargin, Intermediate Aghagallon, Junior Glenravel, Minor Dunloy. With under 21 still to be decided.

imtommygunn

Quote from: bannside on November 18, 2016, 10:40:42 PM
We are great at feeling sorry for ourselves but what do we do about it? Yes the hurlers budget has for years dwarfed the football one, and there is a clear perception that juvenile hurlers get better gear, better away trips etc. In fact it would be interesting to hear the breakdown of those stats now, because I think a few years ago the hurling budget was almost double that of football. But why does this happen? Because no one from the football end is creating proper checks and balances. So we can all take a bit of the blame for that! But 100% we do need a few changes to a few structures and I'm not being antagonistic when I say that. We need a football sub committee to oversee some important aspects such as management criteria, budget equity and lots of other things.

And within football itself there are even less checks and balances. Here's a question?

Who or when was the last time any manager from South West Antrim had the honour of managing their county team....at any level.....at minor, under 21 or senior?

Knock yourselves out with that!

There have been a few since you haven't there? Are south west not reasonably involved in minor setup??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on November 18, 2016, 10:48:05 PM
Not a bad time to ask that question actually in a year country teams won every championship. Senior Cargin, Senior Reserve Cargin, Intermediate Aghagallon, Junior Glenravel, Minor Dunloy. With under 21 still to be decided.

How many of those winning managers have actually been from the South West?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stiffler

Is st endas considered a south west club ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Milltown Row2

Quote from: stiffler on November 18, 2016, 11:47:41 PM
Belfast or Newtownabbey... nowhere else
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stiffler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2016, 11:48:22 PM

They were in the south west juvenile leagues last time I checked.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Milltown Row2

Quote from: stiffler on November 18, 2016, 11:52:02 PM

They are from Belfast but based on newtownabbey you know geography ok??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2016, 11:55:31 PM

Chasing better competition and set up was the reason for going into south west for football and north Antrim for hurling

Minder

Jeez Milltown he's only asking
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on November 18, 2016, 11:59:26 PM

Jeez Milltown he's only asking

Sure he answered his own question ffs?

bannside

ITG, thanks at least for trying to answer my question. You say there have been a few SW managers. But no names? Yes I took under 21s for a year and did another couple after that.. but as assistant to Mickey Culbert who was the senior manager when the rule changed that the senior manager also took on responsibility for U-21s. Danny O Neill from Ahoghill had a spell as joint manager of the minors along with Fitzy for a few years.

A Glenravel man (schoolteacher) took Antrim minors when they won the Ulster championship back around 84.

But I'm thinking in 45 years (probably more) that's all I remember unless I've forgotten someone!

That's 3 age groups x 45 years =135 years.....and from that 2 years in total where someone from SW was sole manager of an Antrim county team. Where's the equity in that?