Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Sure football is for any day but Sunday................according to the little guy.

The Worker

Quote from: country bumpkin on August 30, 2014, 07:43:32 PM
Sure football is for any day but Sunday................according to the little guy.

Or to suit our county players holiday plans  ;)

JimStynes

Quote from: The Worker on August 31, 2014, 12:56:17 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on August 30, 2014, 07:43:32 PM

Or to suit our county players holiday plans  ;)

surely that's not true? even by antrim's standards that would be ridiculous

country bumpkin

Well are we not so Mr Stynes......................football on a Sunday...............that is a no no.

culchie11

Last year people complained that games were p,Ayer same day as all Ireland hurling final, this year that was averted, still some complain.

That IFC semi was to be fri night but venue couldn't host it due to a drive safely campaign being hosted at the club, so I am told anyway.

Sure why not put yourself forward to help out next year, naw I thought as much, ppl wud rather complain from sidelines!

In derry they play championship matches thurs to sun and the Gaels in derry love getting to see as many games as they can, whereas in antrim we just complain about everything!

JimStynes

Quote from: culchie11 on August 31, 2014, 09:42:24 PM
Last year people complained that games were p,Ayer same day as all Ireland hurling final, this year that was averted, still some complain.

That IFC semi was to be fri night but venue couldn't host it due to a drive safely campaign being hosted at the club, so I am told anyway.

Sure why not put yourself forward to help out next year, naw I thought as much, ppl wud rather complain from sidelines!

In derry they play championship matches thurs to sun and the Gaels in derry love getting to see as many games as they can, whereas in antrim we just complain about everything!

Putting a game on a thursday night at 8.30 and more or less a home venue  for one team as well is stupid. Fellas that work away can't get a chance to get home to play for their club in their championship matches. Fri sat and sun games would get far more ppl attending than a thursday night as well.

country bumpkin

Can't envisage an exodus from Portglenone or Aghagallon to Croke Park on All Ireland hurling day................seems the little guys who run the county (one with a huge chip and the other with a huge salary) have little time for football or those who follow................an 8.15 start on a Thursday evening would ensure the Aghagallon folk would not get home until around 11pm/11.30pm...................

bannside

Apparently we should know the name of the person that Antrim executive would like to recommend to manage our senior footballers by the weekend. Another interview taking place today apparently, but club delegates were not informed who that might be. Must be top secret material if the club delegates couldn't be told.

I presume that the "name" will need to be ratified in due course by the visionaries of county committee who represent our clubs.

Points a Good Score

Bannside, whats the thoughts in Portglenone around playing a Championship semi final on a thursday night? The venue obviously suits you more than Aghagallon but surely a saturday fixture would have been preferred or is it simply a case of just getting on with it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Points a Good Score on September 02, 2014, 03:23:01 PM
Bannside, whats the thoughts in Portglenone around playing a Championship semi final on a thursday night? The venue obviously suits you more than Aghagallon but surely a saturday fixture would have been preferred or is it simply a case of just getting on with it?

I don't see the problems with this unless it's got issues with lights. Senior football games went ahead last night in Antrim, us against Rossa and the Johnnies v St Pauls. Will a player be better prepared at the weekend or after a day at work be too tired to play a Championship match? as that will be the same for everybody. Less people come and watch their club mid week than weekends possibly? It would be one complaint but again if it's championship.....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Points a Good Score

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2014, 03:26:39 PM

I don't see the problems with this unless it's got issues with lights. Senior football games went ahead last night in Antrim, us against Rossa and the Johnnies v St Pauls. Will a player be better prepared at the weekend or after a day at work be too tired to play a Championship match? as that will be the same for everybody. Less people come and watch their club mid week than weekends possibly? It would be one complaint but again if it's championship.....

Its the logistics in terms of travel I would see as the problem, I take on board that games were played last night but in those instance the away teams had a short commute. Aghagallon are looking at a 50 minute to 1 hour journey which will most likely rushing home from work leaving preparation not ideal, Portglenone obviously have a maller distance to travel hence why I was interested in their view of it.

I know if I was involved in the game I would prefer a Saturday or Sunday fixture, but in the grand scheme of things I think venue, time and date wont matter as Portglenone should win regardless

Mickey Linden

If the county captain has a holiday booked for the Friday morning then the Thursday evening throw in makes sense. At the end of the day these lads are amateurs and are entitled to take a holiday. For once the county board have made a sensible decesion. The close proximity to the venue should enable him to get home good and early to get packed too. 

ck

Lads is the Baker gone up there or what?

JimStynes

Quote from: Points a Good Score on September 02, 2014, 03:38:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2014, 03:26:39 PM

Its the logistics in terms of travel I would see as the problem, I take on board that games were played last night but in those instance the away teams had a short commute. Aghagallon are looking at a 50 minute to 1 hour journey which will most likely rushing home from work leaving preparation not ideal, Portglenone obviously have a maller distance to travel hence why I was interested in their view of it.

I know if I was involved in the game I would prefer a Saturday or Sunday fixture, but in the grand scheme of things I think venue, time and date wont matter as Portglenone should win regardless

You'll not get very many children attending that's for sure! Too late for them to go see their clubs biggest game of the year.

culchie11

Do u seriously think Ccc fixed a championship game around someone holidays, u obviously don't live in the real world.

Where else has lights to host this game?

The game cudve been at 645pm!!

Don't know what the complaining is about as all senior league games this year and last have been 8pm throwins!!

But sure it's siege mentality and a bit extra to use that county are against u lol