Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Light

I was in Tipperary,and watched as management decisions 'threw away' a game which Antrim should have won.
In simple terms, Tipp were a bigger, physical team, with limited footballing capability, assisted by a Laois (might as well be home-town referee).
In the first half we played into a 'reasonably strong' wind (similar to C'ment v Galway), conceded scores because the Tipp no. 11, was allowed 'free-rein' over the pitch We don't have a centre-half' as such in Baker's teams, so the no. 11 who is normally the 'creative' player for the opposition can run amok. He did. We kicked 9/10 easily scored wides. We scored after 18 mins, and were heading to HT 5-1 down. Locky gets his first opportunities, runs through their defence, and scores twice, and we go in 6-2 down. Game on and very winnable - now playing with the wind, and only 2 points down. Big Ricky injured before HT. Baker brings his bro back, replaces Ricky with young Armstrong (marked by a guy who was 3-4 inches taller, and 2 stone heavier), and brings Locky back to join Sweeny as the SECOND SWEEPER! We now have isolated Brady (who was having a good game and was going to win the game for us) and Niblock, who is eventually subbed.
No point is saying any more. The remaining substitutions are as bad as the first one.
The truth is our management team threw away a win v Monaghan, with bad substitutions. Bad preparation, almost cost the game in Ruislip. The team got themselves home against G'way, and Baker and his henchmen 'threw' the Tipp game! Can you imagine training from last year 3/4 times a week, and decisions by a bad management team finishes the season.
How many of the current panel will waste another year with the current management team? He / GA should have been sacked after Monaghan, and, like Armagh we could have had a manager in place who could have watched all the County C'ship games before picking his team / panel.
Odds-on we are in Division 4, after next season, unless we ship this management team out.
Bradley was fine three years ago to create discipline, and order, but he's limited in his capabilities. GA brings nothing to the table.
I thought that Gallagher's absence would not be critical, but it was, and his contribution might have helped us get over the line. I understand he's enjoying a nice holiday - the statement had be be "prepared", in order to protect the team, and that was fine.
I hope every true Saffron asks if he enjoyed his holiday when he turns up with Galls. Totally disappeared in my estimation as a man, but maybe it shows that the McGourty DNA is more embedded in that club, than could have been believed.
By the way, Saffrons outnumbered the Tipp supporters, and it was great to see. Fair play to those who travelled.
Congrats, and thank you to a great bunch of players (with the  obvious exception)!who did their best, played some great football, when they were allowed, and gave us some great days in the sun!

bannside

Some interesting comments NL - obviously you put the blame of the defeat firmly on the management team.

Definitely it has to be said that the opportunity to make the last 8 of the AI was never greater, and in defence of the management they didnt miss the vital frees, or give the ball away with a wayward pass that led to Tipp scores. Had Michaels effort hit the net we would have looked forward to a 50/50 game with an ordinary enough Down team. But it has to be agreed that the London  and Tipp matches were not good team performances in relation to the good displays against Monaghan and particularly Galway.

As a result the end of season prognosis is a mixed bag. Some good, some ok, some very average.

The management team should signal their clear intent. If they have the desire for another year, and particularly if Baker feels he can get the dressing room galvanised one more time - then he needs to come out right now and say it that he really wants this, and can do this etc etc....

What is not acceptable is if he sits back to see if he can get the Derry job (his top ambition) and if successful off he goes. If un-successful - ah well sure he might as well try to hang on and do another year with Antrim.

This situation would be totally un-satisfactory, and the county management committee and genuine supporters should not be sucked into that scenario. Time for Jim Murray and co to get a handle on this, and not allow this to drag on.

Four years takes its toll on even the best managers, and the need to freshen the dressing room up is a priority. Baker has done enough to be warmly remembered, some good c`ship victories and memories, and not too many are queueing up to demand his resignation. but we cant be left in a situation where we react to whether or not he goes for/gets the Derry job.

Would Baker please let Antrim know, publicly and without any fudge, if he prefers ANTRIM  over any other post for next season - and this being the case, let the county and clubs have the debate on whether we are happy to go with this on the basis of all known information.

As an Antrim supporter what I would like is a very clear expression of where he sees his loyalties lie if he plans to be considered for another year with the Saffrons - or is he planning to put in a bid for the Derry job (if that one becomes available). If he wants another year with us, and comes out clearly and makes that public, I think it would be the least he could do for the supporters who came out for him in good numbers.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Northern Light on July 27, 2012, 01:10:53 PM
I was in Tipperary,and watched as management decisions 'threw away' a game which Antrim should have won.
In simple terms, Tipp were a bigger, physical team, with limited footballing capability, assisted by a Laois (might as well be home-town referee).
In the first half we played into a 'reasonably strong' wind (similar to C'ment v Galway), conceded scores because the Tipp no. 11, was allowed 'free-rein' over the pitch We don't have a centre-half' as such in Baker's teams, so the no. 11 who is normally the 'creative' player for the opposition can run amok. He did. We kicked 9/10 easily scored wides. We scored after 18 mins, and were heading to HT 5-1 down. Locky gets his first opportunities, runs through their defence, and scores twice, and we go in 6-2 down. Game on and very winnable - now playing with the wind, and only 2 points down. Big Ricky injured before HT. Baker brings his bro back, replaces Ricky with young Armstrong (marked by a guy who was 3-4 inches taller, and 2 stone heavier), and brings Locky back to join Sweeny as the SECOND SWEEPER! We now have isolated Brady (who was having a good game and was going to win the game for us) and Niblock, who is eventually subbed.
No point is saying any more. The remaining substitutions are as bad as the first one.
The truth is our management team threw away a win v Monaghan, with bad substitutions. Bad preparation, almost cost the game in Ruislip. The team got themselves home against G'way, and Baker and his henchmen 'threw' the Tipp game! Can you imagine training from last year 3/4 times a week, and decisions by a bad management team finishes the season.
How many of the current panel will waste another year with the current management team? He / GA should have been sacked after Monaghan, and, like Armagh we could have had a manager in place who could have watched all the County C'ship games before picking his team / panel.
Odds-on we are in Division 4, after next season, unless we ship this management team out.
Bradley was fine three years ago to create discipline, and order, but he's limited in his capabilities. GA brings nothing to the table.
I thought that Gallagher's absence would not be critical, but it was, and his contribution might have helped us get over the line. I understand he's enjoying a nice holiday - the statement had be be "prepared", in order to protect the team, and that was fine.
I hope every true Saffron asks if he enjoyed his holiday when he turns up with Galls. Totally disappeared in my estimation as a man, but maybe it shows that the McGourty DNA is more embedded in that club, than could have been believed.

By the way, Saffrons outnumbered the Tipp supporters, and it was great to see. Fair play to those who travelled.
Congrats, and thank you to a great bunch of players (with the  obvious exception)!who did their best, played some great football, when they were allowed, and gave us some great days in the sun!

Stop talking shite Northern light. If you know the whole story then you can comment on it, if not, then piss off to the stone that you crawled from.

Antrim were not beat because of St Galls or Aidso not being there. He wasn't much thought of for the Galway game so I doubt his presence against Tipp would not have mattered.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2012, 01:57:41 PM
Quote from: Northern Light on July 27, 2012, 01:10:53 PM

Stop talking shite Northern light. If you know the whole story then you can comment on it, if not, then piss off to the stone that you crawled from.

Antrim were not beat because of St Galls or Aidso not being there. He wasn't much thought of for the Galway game so I doubt his presence against Tipp would not have mattered.

Milltown, he didnt start against Galway (anyone can be dropped) but came on after 10mins.

From the outside, it doesnt look good-a county captain leaving to go on holiday prior to the biggest game of the year. Unless he comes out and gives a different story, that is the story that will stick.

I know its an amateur sport and he's given great commitment in the past but it meas alot to alot of people and people will be annoyed and upset with him. With him we would have had a better chance to beat Tipp- and a better chance to beat a poor Down team today.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Why did he not start his captain? Would he have started against Tipp? Lot of posters seemed to know all the answers.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

More to the point, if Baker wants/gets another year, will Aidso make himself available? Does he feel that he was messed about, or is it a simple case of having a holiday booked? He is a big personality on the panel and one of only a couple of midfielders we have capable of cutting it at inter -county level. Definitely made a good contribution in the games I saw him play in.

optimus cheese

Dropped for Galway as he was in Wales in lead up to it I thought?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: optimus cheese on July 29, 2012, 07:29:41 PM
Dropped for Galway as he was in Wales in lead up to it I thought?

I'm sure there was good communication between manager and captain throughout the year, why all of a sudden was he dropped? I'm sure Baker knew well in advance of any arrangements Aidso had made. Sure ifs buts and maybes. Down beat a poor Tipp team handy enough.

Aidso was asked onto the hurling panel this year and wanted to do both, but with the captaincy of the Antrim footballers he decided not to do both. his commitment to Antrim over the years has been great, for arseholes to come on here and rubbish him is bad form.

imtommygunn

Mr every time someone says something against a st galls guy they are arseholes.

I think Gallagher has always been very committed and think it's a shame about the whole thing.

If you know the full story then why don't you tell us? I wouldn't be entirely sure that if it was some boy from another club you'd not be on here saying what some are saying about Gallagher...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2012, 11:02:15 PM
Mr every time someone says something against a st galls guy they are arseholes.

I think Gallagher has always been very committed and think it's a shame about the whole thing.

If you know the full story then why don't you tell us? I wouldn't be entirely sure that if it was some boy from another club you'd not be on here saying what some are saying about Gallagher...

Well check back on my posts regarding players going away on holidays, I doubt that I have done much on it. Knowing the story and not revealing it on a public forum is fine with me, Aidos is a good lad great family so I'll not bother with it.

bannside

If Tipp had beat Down we would have been looking at Aidso missing as a legitimate reason/excuse - but in fairness a morale depleted Down put them away handily enough. I also know Aidso well enough to know he is a good guy and a principled one too. Can see both sides here. If Aidso has a beef, he wont be wanting it put about here or anywhere else. At the same time, genuine supporters always want to see our top men out and at it come c`ship time, and booking a holiday in peak season wont sit easily with the devoted.

I said previously there will definitely be two sides to this - and maybe its one to let go.

Question for me though is, will Aidso play big ball or wee ball next year?

Gold

I hope that clear goal for Rossa v St Pauls was given --on Jerome Quinn Media website--Rossa goal blasted high to net but went through stupid hole in net--Paul's umpire signaled a point--some neck on him!

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on August 01, 2012, 11:37:16 PM
Kevin Murray scooped cheating.

I think most others would have done the same, myself excepted.

Makes him look like a right eejit though.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2012, 09:25:18 PM
Yip. It's one thing that does my head in about club games, having two umpires from each club. Every game there is a row because one boy gives a wide and the other boy a point. Cheating cnuts. I have seen plenty of fcukwits from our club at their lark too.

Embarrassing getting snared on video at it though. Take a bow, Murray.

Every game there's an incident with an umpire--farcical

Here's the link to the video for a laugh:

http://www.jeromequinnmedia.com/video/Antrim-Clubs-2011/Rossa/Goal-or-Point-Rossa-v-St-Pauls-1058

Was the goal given??

imtommygunn

Linesmen at lesser matches can be the same.

I was at a match where a boy from one team caught the ball and carried it out over the sideline -with no one near him. He got the line ball.