Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: oakleaf93 on October 14, 2019, 04:43:45 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 14, 2019, 03:53:37 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2019, 03:39:55 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 14, 2019, 01:07:01 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on October 14, 2019, 11:16:01 AM
Don't see how anyone can question McCleans place in the team.
Really? The lack of end product maybe?

McClean was poor enough the last day but he still put more balls into the box than the two on the other wing and no one says anything about them?

Lots do, but Robinson isn'tan established first team player.. McClean has one assist this campaign after starting every game. Not a good enough return.
Given Ireland have scored a total of 6 goals I'd like to see all the other midfielders assist stats
That goal stat  is atrocious

shark

Quote from: seafoid on October 15, 2019, 07:59:42 AM

McClean was poor enough the last day but he still put more balls into the box than the two on the other wing and no one says anything about them?

Lots do, but Robinson isn'tan established first team player.. McClean has one assist this campaign after starting every game. Not a good enough return.
Given Ireland have scored a total of 6 goals I'd like to see all the other midfielders assist stats

Would be glorious if we won one of the remaining games 1-0, and qualified with 7 goals from 8 games.

red hander

Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2019, 04:28:39 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 14, 2019, 02:18:02 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2019, 12:41:42 PM
Things are bad when you take a 35 year old Glenn Whelan out of retirement.

He never retired, he was just dropped!

I remember last year there was a big hullabaloo at a home match when they said this was Whelans last game before retiring. Nearly sure he went off to a standing ovation as well.

Unless he fooled everybody just to get a big cake.

Whelan has since said that it was MoN who announced his retirement, not himself, that he was bounced into it in effect. Maybe MoN didn't realise that he was the one who'd be shown the door first.

seafoid

Quote from: shark on October 15, 2019, 09:44:38 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 15, 2019, 07:59:42 AM

Would be glorious if we won one of the remaining games 1-0, and qualified with 7 goals from 8 games.
In the 87th minute against Switzerland

Baile Brigín 2

I'm not disputing we are poor and if we get there will stink the place up, but I was responding to the post that claimed McClean is performing in green at the minute

Itchy

Real conundrum for McCarthy this evening of his own making.

We need a win so no point playing for a draw this evening, as well to go for it and lose. If we go for it we will probably get thrashed, sucking whatever confidence we have ahead of Denmark. If we play defensively and get a 0-0 draw, whats the point?

It just shows how ridiculous his approach against Georgia was. My bet is we play defensively, get no shots on target and lost 1-0 or 2-0.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Itchy on October 15, 2019, 01:32:29 PM

We need a win so no point playing for a draw this evening, as well to go for it and lose. If we go for it we will probably get thrashed, sucking whatever confidence we have ahead of Denmark. If we play defensively and get a 0-0 draw, whats the point?

It just shows how ridiculous his approach against Georgia was. My bet is we play defensively, get no shots on target and lost 1-0 or 2-0.

If they get a draw tonight the chances are Denmark will be already qualified before the game in Dublin. You'd imagine that be a help in terms of their attitude to the game v Ireland.

shark

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 15, 2019, 01:51:30 PM

If they get a draw tonight the chances are Denmark will be already qualified before the game in Dublin. You'd imagine that be a help in terms of their attitude to the game v Ireland.

Massively. In that scenario you'll see Eriksen, Delaney, Christensen picking up "niggles" prior to the game. Back to their clubs to prep for their next game.

BennyCake

That would be my thinking too. The only thing that may surprise us is if Ireland somehow hold on for a 0-0 draw, like they did in Russia a few years ago, when Richard Dunne kept getting in the way of the ball going into the net.

Captain Obvious

Firstly i have never rated McCarthy too highly however credit where credit is due he has this group of players who individually or collectively aren't very good in a position to reaching the European championships, currently unbeaten and only 2 goals conceded in 6 games.

Secondly he could set up offensively tonight and still get no shots on target and lose.

From the Bunker

God, it's great to hear Amhran na bhfiann before an Irish game!

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 15, 2019, 07:46:57 PM
God, it's great to hear Amhran na bhfiann before an Irish game!

Make the most of it. If we get this United/New Ireland, it'll be Ireland's Call with the soccer too.

Watch us all sing that with pride. It's giving me goosebumps just thinking about it  ::)

Captain Obvious

weareros

Did we just put a free over the sideline right before the goal, after putting a throw ball over the sideline 5 mins before. Junior B stuff.

JPGJOHNNYG

The ridiculous conservative Georgian tactics haunting us already as we all knew it would except for mick