FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Are Albania not third in a group too though? That would be the one you would want if so.

rodney trotter

Albania are another team yeah. Good side but I'd rather them then croatia, who have the experience of playing in big tournaments.

It might not even come to that scotland were good at home against Germany they are capable of beating poland in hamden and then a easy game against Gibralter to seal 3rd spot. If they are level kn points with Ireland it goes on head to head

imtommygunn

Agreed. We could really do with something against Poland.

Croatia have much better players so preferrably wouldn't play them.

mrdeeds

We're seeded at moment. Ukraine will be best 3rd place. Seedings will be finalised after last two games.

An Watcher

No I don't thin we are seeded as we are close to being the lowest ranked team of all the third place teams
Norway are possibly the only team ranked below us and they look like they might qualify automatically
We do have a similar ranking to Turkey and Israel though but we would need a lot of results to go our way to climb above them all and into the 4th seed spot of the final eight

mrdeeds

An Watcher

Yes, I think we are 51st which isn't great in the grand scheme of things
It can be misleading though as many teams seem determined to boost their co-efficient by playing friendlies against lesser teams
I don't think O'Neill has gone down this route though

oakleaflad

Quote from: An Watcher on September 09, 2015, 03:14:06 PM
Yes, I think we are 51st which isn't great in the grand scheme of things
It can be misleading though as many teams seem determined to boost their co-efficient by playing friendlies against lesser teams
I don't think O'Neill has gone down this route though
You are talking about the Fifa rankings. This isn't linked to seedings for the Euro's. The Uefa Coefficient is - this is completely unrelated to the Fifa rankings. Ireland are 23rd in the latest Uefa Coefficient I could find.

An Watcher

Sorry lads I see that now. So we're above the likes of Israel, hungary and all. Potentially could be top seeds then. Great :)

JPGJOHNNYG

3rd placed teams at rhe  moment in order of coefficient ranking ukraine, croatia, sweden, hungary, ireland, turkey, israel, slovenia, albania. With ukraine or croatia likely going through directly as best 3rd placed team that leaves ireland seeded, however if bosnia or holland sneak into 3rd place in their groups then we wont be seeded

An Watcher

By my reckoning Albania will pip Denmark to second which isn't good for us either.  We are currently above Hungary, Turkey, Israel and Slovenia though which would mean we are top seeds with Croatia/Ukraine, Denmark and Sweden.  It's very close though with Sweden, ourselves and Hungary 20th, 21st and 22nd respectively.  Lets just beat the Germans and the Poles and we won't have this problem

NetNitrate

Scots likely to beat Poles at home so we will need to beat Germany or Poland away just to get third.

illdecide

I wouldn't be getting too carried away with who we're going to meet as i think there will be a few twists and turns yet in this group...If Scotland beat Poland then our goose is cooked.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AZOffaly

Quote from: illdecide on September 10, 2015, 12:45:12 PM
I wouldn't be getting too carried away with who we're going to meet as i think there will be a few twists and turns yet in this group...If Scotland beat Poland then our goose is cooked.

Even if Scotland draw with Poland I'd say we'd be out. I wouldn't like to be going to Poland needing a point.

An Watcher

I'd be more inclined to think Scotland will draw with Poland and the Germans will beat us.  Leaves us needing a point in a game that suits both teams.  The poles to secure second spot and us to secure third spot.  The danger for Poland would be if we happen to beat them and the danger for us would be if we happen to lose.