FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Hoolahan was atrocious when he came on. Missed a much easier chance than O'Shea's, lost the ball, couldn't throw in the ball and even the cross for the goal was way over-cooked. Had to laugh at Dunphy's "he's scored loads of goals for Norwich", he's got 9 goals in 93 games.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

I'm not trying to be hard on him, as I said I like him as a player and he is something different, in a positive way (!), than a lot of the other Irish midfield/attacking playmakers. I just think in this instance, he wasn't helped by McGeady's run, but it's a cardinal sin to be caught in possession, and he was caught because he couldn't react to McGeady's poor run.

Main Street

AZOffaly

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2014, 03:10:11 PM
I'm not trying to be hard on him, as I said I like him as a player and he is something different, in a positive way (!), than a lot of the other Irish midfield/attacking playmakers. I just think in this instance, he wasn't helped by McGeady's run, but it's a cardinal sin to be caught in possession, and he was caught because he couldn't react to McGeady's poor run.

FFS, he was sent on to try to save the game, we were 1-0 down with 4 mins left, we had contrived a 2v1 situation bearing down on goal - he was supposed to decide that McGeady's run was crap and was supposed to stop everything and start again, rather than wait (too long obviously) for McGeady to try and cop himself on?  Jaysus.

BTW I don't think Hoolahan is the answer to our prayers, but in fairness to him he was sent on to try to change the game in our favour and he succeeded to a certain extent - I personally think Gibson had a more positive impact. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lynchbhoy

im wondering if MON is thinking about bringing in the 352 system that suited Celtic so well.
Bulking up the midfield - which is the area we have been getting beaten in by the better teams in last number of years- and making it hard for opponents to dominate possession etc essentially defending further out the field.
that's more or less what we did the other night but it was more like a 460 formation if not a 451!!

im not convinced that we have the best defending full backs either, they are better going forward.
so like the other night, the onus is on the midfield.
we could accommodate 5 midfielders - made up of two wingers, two central midfielders and either one defensive or one attacking central midfielder (or both if we just play one up front).

Hoolihan is as close as we have to an attacking playmaker. however imo he is a bit too old and its a bit too late in his career to be expecting that much of him. if he had been brought into the scene 10 years ago , he would be a fantastic addition - though I feel he is a bit slight for the fast tough paced international games.Mcgeady could have been a candidate too but he has been played all over the place, it is prob too late to try and get him back into this role that he played as a youngster in Celtic underage teams and for a few games with Celtic senior side before being sold to spartak Moscow. Winger is prob his best position now. id like to see him shoot more often and not dwell on the ball as much. his crossing has improved but needs to remain consistent.
Same with McLean. I was wondering how people could question his physicality. the fcuker is a Derry city mucker and as rough as they come. wont shirk a fight- that's actually his problem - gets caught up in silly stuff too much. needs to be consistent though. We also have Brady and Pilkington who can give a good shift as wingers. Brady could be the 'new Wes' possibly.

id like to see
                   Forde
          Keogh O'Shea Wilson
                Hendrick
McGeady Gibson McCarthy McLean
                  Long (or Robbie if long hasn't found form)

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 16, 2014, 04:08:42 PM
im wondering if MON is thinking about bringing in the 352 system that suited Celtic so well.
Bulking up the midfield - which is the area we have been getting beaten in by the better teams in last number of years- and making it hard for opponents to dominate possession etc essentially defending further out the field.
that's more or less what we did the other night but it was more like a 460 formation if not a 451!!

im not convinced that we have the best defending full backs either, they are better going forward.
we could accommodate 5 midfielders - made up of two wingers, two central midfielders and either one defensive or one attacking central midfielder (or both if we just play one up front).

Hoolihan is as close as we have to an attacking playmaker. however imo he is a bit too old and its a bit too late in his career to be expecting that much of him. if he had been brought into the scene 10 years ago , he would be a fantastic addition - though I feel he is a bit slight for the fast tough paced international games.Mcgeady could have been a candidate too but he has been played all over the place, it is prob too late to try and get him back into this role that he played as a youngster in Celtic underage teams and for a few games with Celtic senior side before being sold to spartak Moscow. Winger is prob his best position now. id like to see him shoot more often and not dwell on the ball as much. his crossing has improved but needs to remain consistent.
Same with McLean. I was wondering how people could question his physicality. the fcuker is a Derry city mucker and as rough as they come. wont shirk a fight- that's actually his problem - gets caught up in silly stuff too much. needs to be consistent though. We also have Brady and Pilkington who can give a good shift as wingers. Brady could be the 'new Wes' possibly.

id like to see
                   Forde
          Keogh O'Shea Wilson
                Hendrick

I'd use the well advised option to have 11 players in the team. ;)
It would be a radical decision not to play Coleman when fit.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 16, 2014, 03:34:14 PM

FFS, he was sent on to try to save the game, we were 1-0 down with 4 mins left, we had contrived a 2v1 situation bearing down on goal - he was supposed to decide that McGeady's run was crap and was supposed to stop everything and start again, rather than wait (too long obviously) for McGeady to try and cop himself on?  Jaysus.

BTW I don't think Hoolahan is the answer to our prayers, but in fairness to him he was sent on to try to change the game in our favour and he succeeded to a certain extent - I personally think Gibson had a more positive impact.

So you think he did nothing wrong in that instance? It's all on McGeady and his run. It's not Hoolahan's fault that he delayed on the ball, because of the bad run, and was dispossessed? If so fair enough. I would expect my playmaker to be able to make an intelligent decision there to keep the ball and try something else. Even a fecking shot! Would Iniesta be caught in possession like that?

Main Street

So , worth more than a Hail Mary and a Glory be to God?

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 16, 2014, 03:34:14 PM

All the 3 changes had a positive impact and also Whelan going off had a negative impact. What mattered most was that O'Neill wrought out a new balanced shape with moving players around  to make room for the 3 subs and the roles they were assigned, which was key to the team saving a point. With Wes in the middle McGeady went out wide and recovered a situation.
Wes in his prime was valued at even less than Andy Reid in his prime. It follows that the skill levels and decision making are appropriate to their transfer value.
it doesn't bother me that they both are missing a few nuts and bolts, what matters is they are our best technical players, this is what we have and who represents the country. Wes for all his technical skills, at times can be pushed off the ball relatively easy.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on October 16, 2014, 04:22:45 PM

id like to see
                   Forde
          Keogh O'Shea Wilson
                Hendrick

Good spot!!
Could slot Donnie Brady or Robbin Keane behind long - or young hoolihan

Hmmm Coleman is great attacking but has a lot to learn as a defender
Maybe play Coleman on the right wing if mcgeady is off form

In a 442 Coleman is prob still the best option at right back. We are feckt for a left back and McLean or Brady aren't the answer

In the 352 ( or 3511)
Maybe meyler anchoring midfield
Push Hendrick up alongside Gibson and  McCarthy behind long

We have quite a few decent midfielders now
Just need strikers to hit a bit of form!
The jocks won't be easy

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 16, 2014, 08:03:40 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 16, 2014, 04:22:45 PM

id like to see
                   Forde
          Keogh O'Shea Wilson
                Hendrick

Good spot!!
Could slot Donnie Brady or Robbin Keane behind long - or young hoolihan

Hmmm Coleman is great attacking but has a lot to learn as a defender
Maybe play Coleman on the right wing if mcgeady is off form

In a 442 Coleman is prob still the best option at right back. We are feckt for a left back and McLean or Brady aren't the answer

In the 352 ( or 3511)
Maybe meyler anchoring midfield
Push Hendrick up alongside Gibson and  McCarthy behind long

We have quite a few decent midfielders now
Just need strikers to hit a bit of form!
The jocks won't be easy
It's not on the agenda Lynchbhoy, Coleman will play (if fit) and O'Neill is on record as saying he won't put an out and out flying full back in at wide midfield.
I think for O'Neill, his idea of what our team is, is still a work still in progress, whereas Trap had made his mind up before our first competitive game.
Steven Reid was Trap's anchor man to begin with.
O'Neill has experimented with McCarthy and McGeady playing a central  forward role in our first two (real) games and it just hasn't come off, apart from that goal ;D
He has had a reluctance to use those players in their best position and see what happens, except of course  for the last 15 minutes v Germany.
Assuming we play a flat back 4, assuming he puts McCarthy back where he belongs,  the big question is who will partner him. Whelan has become a scapegoat, jeered to the hilt  by RTE's finest, but the reality is that he is a favoured player, not just by O'Neill and Trap before him but Hughes and Pulis before him, perhaps the mob  know better than all those managers, but I doubt it. I think O'Neill favours Whelan when caution is called for.
He will still  be there or thereabouts as partner for McCarthy at the heart of midfield. It would be interesting to see if Gibson lines out with Mccarthy at Everton.
If Wes  or Andy Reid come in, then Walters or McClean would give way, but I doubt O'Neill will start with either Wes or Reid against Scotland or Poland.  home and away.
At least there's an element of  the unknown as to  what will O'Neill go with  against Scotland,  if everybody is fit.

lynchbhoy

Fair enough assessment MS
Mon's favoured team will become apparent v soon.
Right now he likes McLean and mcgeady - he has tried mcgeady in the number 10 position that he was starting to play in at Celtic before he left.
Understandably - as he is better in the middle where he can move onto either foot and shoot , when in front of goals he is a scoring threat. Not in the wing . He isn't a natural winger, despite all the tricks.

I'm with you on the much maligned whelan. I think inj are catching up with him and meyler might take that place but for now mon will favour whelan

Think we will go 451
Favourites will always get the mon nod.
The only questions are who plays left back and the striker role

Mon prob favours
                Forde
Coleman O'Shea Wilson ?
              Whelan
Mcgeady McCarthy Gibson McLean
            ?

Maybe keogh might slot into centre half and Wilson lb?