FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 02, 2013, 07:29:57 PM
This has been looked at on this board many times. The biggest impasse is there would only be half the jobs for the boys from top to bottom. Nobody is going to vote themselves out of a cushy job. The Leagues joining up would suit the bigger clubs in the North and south, attendance wise. A joint League would improve clubs especially in the North. Then we are down to the Anthem. We'd probably end up with Irelands Call.

Actually the way it is is sound. Everybody is Happy!

That is reason enough in itself not to do it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

rodney trotter

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 02, 2013, 07:29:57 PM
This has been looked at on this board many times. The biggest impasse is there would only be half the jobs for the boys from top to bottom. Nobody is going to vote themselves out of a cushy job. The Leagues joining up would suit the bigger clubs in the North and south, attendance wise. A joint League would improve clubs especially in the North. Then we are down to the Anthem. We'd probably end up with Irelands Call.

Actually the way it is is sound. Everybody is Happy!

Everyone bar MON, since he is losing players.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on June 02, 2013, 01:23:25 PM
I see another player born in the North has opted to play for the Republic. Liam McAlinden, from Wolves. And Rory Donnelly (Swansea) doesn't want to be considered for NI.
Not born in the 'North'.  As far as I know he is English, has a Grandfather from Northern Ireland and decided to switch allegiance after being approached by the FAI, having previously played for NI at various underage levels.

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on June 02, 2013, 06:04:55 PM
Very few Catholics in the North (except Marty Clarke maybe) give a toss about the NI team.
This is only actually the case if you're referring to GAA-loving Catholics from close to the border. Northern Ireland is a small place, but it's not as a smallminded as you perceive.

michaelg

Quote from: hardstation on June 02, 2013, 09:59:24 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 02, 2013, 09:36:47 PM
Very few Catholics in the North (except Marty Clarke maybe) give a toss about the NI team.
This is only actually the case if you're referring to GAA-loving Catholics from close to the border. Northern Ireland is a small place, but it's not as a smallminded as you perceive.
What?

Call it small minded or whatever you want but I'd say his comment is very true. I don't think I've ever met "one of our lot" who has had any interest in the NI team. Surely it is very rare.
What about in 1982 and 1986 when the team was doing well?

michaelg

Quote from: hardstation on June 02, 2013, 10:03:40 PM
I wasn't born then.
Although you don't have any real interest in the NI team, would you want them to lose / support the opposition team when they are playing?

muppet

Quote from: michaelg on June 02, 2013, 10:02:12 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 02, 2013, 09:59:24 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 02, 2013, 09:36:47 PM
What?

Call it small minded or whatever you want but I'd say his comment is very true. I don't think I've ever met "one of our lot" who has had any interest in the NI team. Surely it is very rare.
What about in 1982 and 1986 when the team was doing well?

There was widespread support in the 26 those years.
MWWSI 2017

michaelg

Quote from: hardstation on June 02, 2013, 10:11:11 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 02, 2013, 10:06:25 PM
I wasn't born then.
Although you don't have any real interest in the NI team, would you want them to lose / support the opposition team when they are playing?
Couldn't care most of the time. Just expect them to be beaten really. Was glad when they beat the Brits though. I went to see them at Windsor twice a couple of years ago. Czech Rep and Israel. Wasn't bothered who won.

Most people I know like to see them beat I think.
How did you find Windsor Park?  Was it the cauldron of hate that most people on here seem to think it is?

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on June 02, 2013, 10:06:25 PM
I wasn't born then.

Yes and yes.

trileacman

Have one mate who would admit to supporting them, the rest couldn't give a shite with a select few who openly despise them.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

red hander

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 02, 2013, 07:18:26 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 02, 2013, 04:06:37 PM
Then why is Michael O Neill managing Norn Iron - a catholic, was that not suppose to be enhance more players to declare for the North and not the Republic...

Yes, I suppose MON's appointment was to try and recruit more catholic players, but it's far too late. The horse bolted decades ago. The IFA were told years ago about the situation between NI and it's fans/players, and they did nothing to make Catholics feel more welcome. Very few Catholics in the North (except Marty Clarke maybe) give a toss about the NI team. And fewer and fewer Catholics want to represent a team with bigoted scumbags supporters giving them abuse, standing for an anthem and flag that is alien to them. Not only that, but if a player/fan doesn't even recognise the country/state/province of NI, then why would they play for or support them?

I'd agree, the whole shite with Death threats to Lennon , Paddy McCourt in the past, hardly gives a great image.
Probaly was too late when O Neill took over.

32 County team would be a great solution, but far too much politics.

We already have a 32-county team, they play their home games at Lansdowne Road, have players from all four provinces and supporters from all 32 counties

rodney trotter

Quote from: red hander on June 03, 2013, 12:37:24 AM
Then why is Michael O Neill managing Norn Iron - a catholic, was that not suppose to be enhance more players to declare for the North and not the Republic...

Yes, I suppose MON's appointment was to try and recruit more catholic players, but it's far too late. The horse bolted decades ago. The IFA were told years ago about the situation between NI and it's fans/players, and they did nothing to make Catholics feel more welcome. Very few Catholics in the North (except Marty Clarke maybe) give a toss about the NI team. And fewer and fewer Catholics want to represent a team with bigoted scumbags supporters giving them abuse, standing for an anthem and flag that is alien to them. Not only that, but if a player/fan doesn't even recognise the country/state/province of NI, then why would they play for or support them?

I'd agree, the whole shite with Death threats to Lennon , Paddy McCourt in the past, hardly gives a great image.

We already have a 32-county team, they play their home games at Lansdowne Road, have players from all four provinces and supporters from all 32 counties

They play at the Aviva, I was talking about a united Irish team. Anyways it will never happen.

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 03, 2013, 12:43:06 AM

They play at the Aviva, I was talking about a united Irish team. Anyways it will never happen.

Yeah, Lansdowne Road.

Mikhail Prokhorov

my god rodney, you def live up to your name, Aviva ffs  ::)

rodney trotter

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 03, 2013, 01:33:42 AM

my god rodney, you def live up to your name, Aviva ffs  ::)

As you be, I'm only calling it whats its called now, not something its no longer called. Get with the times