FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Olaf on May 18, 2012, 02:11:23 PM
I have ....though it is not they who are playing tomorrow I believe.

You say with awful certainty that the Ulster team playing tomorrow is not the same thing as the rugby province of Ulster. I would presume you have some evidence to back this up?

Denn Forever

Forget about the football.  This is what I'm looking forward to.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0518/321438-apres-match-confirmed-for-rte-at-euro-2012/

Should be great entertainment. Plenty of time to work on it.

Ireland v Italy should be good crack after.

As this now seems to be the Rugby thread, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOjXUCM9K04
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Applesisapples

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 18, 2012, 09:37:52 AM
Quote from: Olaf on May 17, 2012, 01:02:07 PM
And a lot do, especially nationalist supporters, the Yellow backgrounded Ulster flag at least has official status and is used not only in Rugby but also in Hockey and some other sports organised on an all island basis. It represents all the 9 Counties and as someone pointed out Tommy Bowe of Monaghan was and will be a fans favourite. There are a lot more Ulster Rugby flags than either Ulster Flag which in my opinion is good and something you tend to see in both Leinster and Munster.

Ulster rugby is now  a  club in the same way as other European teams are constituted. The provincial connection , whilst not lost ,has been diluted even since 1999. The yellow flag is as relevant/irrelevant as the NI flag and therefore has no "official status".
Take a look at the Ulster Branch Badge then.

[/quote]
No but they actually control Ulster Rugby.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 18, 2012, 02:42:10 PM
Forget about the football.  This is what I'm looking forward to.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0518/321438-apres-match-confirmed-for-rte-at-euro-2012/

Should be great entertainment. Plenty of time to work on it.

Ireland v Italy should be good crack after.

As this now seems to be the Rugby thread, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOjXUCM9K04
Brilliant Video

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Worker on May 18, 2012, 10:15:16 AM
Anyone know where sells the Ireland home jersey in the north?

I tried jjb but all they ad was northern ireland jerseys  :o

This will do you nicely

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Olaf

Quote from: deiseach on May 18, 2012, 02:27:30 PM

You say with awful certainty that the Ulster team playing tomorrow is not the same thing as the rugby province of Ulster. I would presume you have some evidence to back this up?

No , but my understanding is that since the advent of professionalism Ulster became a professional rugby club. Prior to that the players on the team represented the province of Ulster and therefore came from  the  province. It is a Club in the same way as other Club participating in the ERC. This view is bolstered by the fact that back in the 80s when Ulster were doing particularly well in the inter-pros you wouldn't have seen a Saffa/foreign import/ about the place and the team was picked from clubs controlled by the Ulster Branch. In fact IIRC the players would have worn their club socks when playing for Ulster.

Jonah

Ooppss sorry,I was looking for the Irish soccer thread didn't realise this was the rugby thread.
Anyone know where I can find the Irish soccer thread?

deiseach

Quote from: Olaf on May 18, 2012, 06:00:36 PM

No , but my understanding is that since the advent of professionalism Ulster became a professional rugby club. Prior to that the players on the team represented the province of Ulster and therefore came from  the  province. It is a Club in the same way as other Club participating in the ERC. This view is bolstered by the fact that back in the 80s when Ulster were doing particularly well in the inter-pros you wouldn't have seen a Saffa/foreign import/ about the place and the team was picked from clubs controlled by the Ulster Branch. In fact IIRC the players would have worn their club socks when playing for Ulster.

You could have stopped at 'No'. The rest is just guess work.

Olaf

Quote from: deiseach on May 18, 2012, 08:55:42 PM
Quote from: Olaf on May 18, 2012, 06:00:36 PM

You could have stopped at 'No'. The rest is just guess work.

What exactly do you mean by the "rugby province of Ulster" and , whatever this means,  how can it be  compared with a team? The question posed is mighty hard to understand

Capt Pat

So is this going to be like 2002 again with people taking time off work and pubs packed with drinkers when it all kicks off.

Agent Orange

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 20, 2012, 09:31:01 PM
So is this going to be like 2002 again with people taking time off work and pubs packed with drinkers when it all kicks off.

It was the same in 88, 90 and 94 so I would say so.

laoislad

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 20, 2012, 09:31:01 PM

All of our games start at 7.45 and the other games the earliest start is 5pm so work shouldn't be an issue with most.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Tickets in the paw for the euros.....

Blocks K2 for Croatia, 09 for Spain and M3 for the Italy game....

Anyone get their hands on them yet?

Declan

upmonaghansayswe

Got 2 Italian ones yesterday and a Spain one this morning off the portal!.. Restricted view, but after the hours spent on that portal i couldnt care!..