FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Main Street on May 15, 2012, 09:56:32 AM
He wasn't quoted anywhere as saying he lined out for the u21's at Windsor pk, get it?

This is the quote from the Indo article.  Note the quotation marks are theirs not mine:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/no-rest-for-the-gifted-on-mccleans-journey-to-the-top-3081196.html

"I can even remember playing under 21s for Northern Ireland and even standing for the national anthems . . . You're looking around Windsor Park as a Catholic and seeing all the Union Jacks and listening to the songs the fans sing and I just didn't feel at home at all. Even in the squads I felt like a bit of an outsider. There weren't too many Catholics, it just didn't feel right."

The only thing in his defence is that the free-wheeling between "I" and "You" he uses could be construed that he was talking in generalities.

That tied to the Derry Journal quote:

"International recognition is very important to most players. I thoroughly enjoyed playing for the Under-21s and, therefore, any call-up to the senior squad would be considered an honour"

People here are critical of the IFA for not showing an interest in McClean until he was heading to a big club.   Equally it's obvious that OWC fans would be pissed that he went from "enjoyed playing" to "not feeling right" once a better offer came his way.

/Jim.

J OGorman

Jim, gone give it a rest re James. You've already posted the same bit twice, we all seen it the first time. I know the fella. He's a decent spud who's game as buck when it comes to playing and training. A spokesman and a political speaker he is not. However, when a young man is constantly asked the same questions re opting out of the North etc  and when there are media and folk like yourself dissecting  every word he says, well, with the right amount of spin, a little salt and paper and a smigeon of angst, certain agenda's can always be enhanced.   He'll be a joy to watch @ the Euro's.

Canny wait

Applesisapples

Quote from: deiseach on May 15, 2012, 01:18:16 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 15, 2012, 10:59:22 AM
You should know then that there are strict protocols around anthems and flags in rugby which see no Irish NA abroad and GSTQ in Belfast and The Irish NA in Dublin. The Presidential Salute is a courtesy to the President. Ulster is also represented by the 9 County Flag being flown.

GSTQ was not played at Ravenhill when Ireland took on Italy there in August 2007. They can play Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead at rugby matches for all I care but the IRFU should at least be consistent.
Well I can't comment on what happened then but the protocol was in place. i think Ireland's Call should be stuck to as a compromise.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: J OGorman on May 15, 2012, 02:12:06 PM
Jim, gone give it a rest re James. You've already posted the same bit twice, we all seen it the first time. I know the fella. He's a decent spud who's game as buck when it comes to playing and training. A spokesman and a political speaker he is not. However, when a young man is constantly asked the same questions re opting out of the North etc  and when there are media and folk like yourself dissecting  every word he says, well, with the right amount of spin, a little salt and paper and a smigeon of angst, certain agenda's can always be enhanced.   He'll be a joy to watch @ the Euro's.

Canny wait

JOG,

Point taken.  I was just making the point to Main Street that I wasn't interpreting what a journalist said but was reading a direct (at least attributed) quote.

/Jim.

Olaf

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 15, 2012, 02:43:05 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on May 15, 2012, 02:12:06 PM

Canny wait

JOG,

Point taken.  I was just making the point to Main Street that I wasn't interpreting what a journalist said but was reading a direct (at least attributed) quote.

/Jim.

It is certainly reasonable to interprete the quote as stating that McClean had played at Windsor. Most if not all folk would place that interpretation on it.

He's more of a loss to NI than Gibson . He's gone and I hope that is the last we hear from him on that issue.

NAG1

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 10:08:59 PM

So he was just misquoted? In quite a few different media outlets? Strange that neither he nor his management saw fit to correct the mistake, don't you think?
He wasn't quoted anywhere as saying he lined out for the u21's at Windsor pk, get it?

QuoteWhy on earth would you be so concerned with what a footballer says - or doesn't say - one day, yet not bothered at all by other things he says? Weird, that.
Firstly, I'm a wee bit concerned when what he didn't say, is being attributed to him, but that's no big deal when it's confined to the halfwits on the OWC eligibility thread.
The level of my concern about McClean is of little importance, but when a liar like yourself copies (almost verbatim) the sentiments from a post on the OWC eligibility thread about what McClean is supposed to have said, take the trouble to post those sentiments here and then have the gall to call him a liar, I reserve the right to take issue with that.
JM 74 has well and truly nailed you to the floor on the quote business, so I'll not labour that point any further.

I'm fascinated by your obsession with the OWC eligibility thread. You've mentioned it several times in the space of just a few posts.  :)

Main Street

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 15, 2012, 07:23:03 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 10:08:59 PM

So he was just misquoted? In quite a few different media outlets? Strange that neither he nor his management saw fit to correct the mistake, don't you think?

QuoteWhy on earth would you be so concerned with what a footballer says - or doesn't say - one day, yet not bothered at all by other things he says? Weird, that.
Firstly, I'm a wee bit concerned when what he didn't say, is being attributed to him, but that's no big deal when it's confined to the halfwits on the OWC eligibility thread.
The level of my concern about McClean is of little importance, but when a liar like yourself copies (almost verbatim) the sentiments from a post on the OWC eligibility thread about what McClean is supposed to have said, take the trouble to post those sentiments here and then have the gall to call him a liar, I reserve the right to take issue with that.
JM 74 has well and truly nailed you to the floor on the quote business, so I'll not labour that point any further.
My 'arse he has.
McLean does not refer to lining out for the u21's at Windsor pk. He's most probably referring to attending a senior game as part of the u21 squad. And that interpretation is fully supported by all other quotes from McClean.

QuoteI'm fascinated by your obsession with the OWC eligibility thread. You've mentioned it several times in the space of just a few posts.  :)
Eh Myles, I'm fascinated by your obsession with the OWC eligibility thread. That you would just almost copy all the main points, gripes and grudges, from one post there and repeat them here as if it was a total part of your belief system. The OWC eligibility thread is a mirror image of your outlook.
98% guilt is assumed with a NI born player who so decides to declare for the FAI, that he must be a bitter, sectarian, miserable bigot and every little action by that player is interpreted in such a way as to support that claim.

Denn Forever

Is McLean going to even get a starting position?  Impact sub for last 30 minutes a la Hunt.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J OGorman

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 16, 2012, 11:28:26 AM
Is McLean going to even get a starting position?  Impact sub for last 30 minutes a la Hunt.

very much doubt cautious Trapp will start him in the 1st, and maybe 2nd match. Hopefully gets a decent amount of game time. Will be filled with more optimism seeing him play than some who arent holding down a starting slot with their clubs (and thats no slight on those fellas, talking sharpness, fitness, form etc)

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Duff and McGeady will be the starting wide players barring injury or something unforeseen. McClean should be the next option. Personally I'd pick him ahead of McGeady but annoying as McGeady is he can pull something out occasionally that justifies his existence.

By the way has anyone seen LA Galaxy on ESPN recently. I hope he is saving himself because Robbie has been terrible in the games I've seen.

AQMP

I doubt whether McClean is in Trap's plans as a starter.  Trap is notoriously conservative, but I think McClean would have a chance as an impact sub coming on with 20-25 mins left if needed.

Declan

England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Standby players: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

magpie seanie

Quote from: Declan on May 16, 2012, 01:22:13 PM
England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Standby players: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

Not sure why but I'm a bit shocked how bad that squad looks on paper. There's a guy on standby that I've never heard of!