Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 03, 2014, 04:25:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 03, 2014, 04:13:58 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 03, 2014, 04:08:58 PM

what salary are we currently paying CEO Dessie would anyone know?

Ah here now, you can't be going and asking that, its market sensitive information.

How exactly is it market sensitive information? What would be the negative consequences for the GPA and the GAA if everyone knew how much Dessie was carrying home? The only one it has potential to have negative consequences for is Dessie.

Overall I call big hairy bollox on the notion of it being commercially sensitive marker information - that's the standard line when someone is getting paid way over the odds for a handy number and claiming stupid loadsamoney expenses - basically it's a case of Dessie not wanting everyone to know just how much he is coining in in terms of his wage packet, alongside the junkets and the expenses.

Feck it I'm almost tempted to set up a Gaelic Club Players Association, shout and moan about Croke Park for a bit about them being useless,so I can get bought off to go inside the tent and end up with my own little GAA kingdom and a tasty salary - of course I'll have some of the ordinary decent lads do a bit of charity work (that they would probably be doing anyway) so that I can use that as an excuse if anyone complains about me.

What would you call it?

The Real GPA.
The Continuity GPA??
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 04:51:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 03, 2014, 04:44:49 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 03:41:37 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2014, 03:27:50 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 03:22:37 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on November 03, 2014, 03:19:41 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 03:17:10 PM
While an interesting article I find it ironic that he has a go at the GPA for commercial opportunities, how much has the same Joe Brolly made from his association with the GAA?

Nothing. Gives his RTE and other media fees to charity.

Does he really? That would be impressive!

Yeah he doesn't take fees for any Club appearances or anything like that.

In fairness he's a barrister so the fee he gets from RTE is probably not a huge deal to him.

Whatever about his comments on TV I think he is a genuinely decent altruistic person who's just a bit of a cocky b**tard.

So he does make money from RTE, his public personae certainly doesn't detract from his law business either I would imagine.

Yes his altruism is to be admired but it always seems to be about him. If I wasn't already a registered organ donor and a current platelet donor he would actually put me off registering. Any donation to me is a very personal choice and should be motivated intrinsically.

You do know your organs more than likely wouldn't be going to Joe.

Or any Meath person, my first of Kin is aware of this wish.

A wish/order passed down the generations no doubt  ;)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

We wouldn't need them.
We're born with a spare set of everything.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

While an interesting article I find it ironic that he has a go at the GPA for commercial opportunities, how much has the same Joe Brolly made from his association with the GAA?

Does he not sort of make this point himself in the article by suggesting everyone on this Derry team pretty much did ok for themselves from being part of the GAA and didn't need a GPA to help them out?

"Well, the Derry team I played on didn't need the GPA to save us from the horrors of county football. With the normal caveats around human life, all of the group are more or less flourishing."

That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 04:48:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 03, 2014, 04:40:24 PM
Maybe he will. Maybe he has. "Whatabout" isn't much of a rebuttal of the multitude of points well made by Brolly. And suggesting he's lying about giving he fee to charity is a bit ... well uncharitable, unless you have evidence for the suggestion.

I'm not here to rebuttal his well made points.

Can you show me the evidence he gives his RTE fee to charity other than some anecdotal evidence from a poster?

What is your point, exactly? That his points are wrong or that he should have addressed a different set of points, as selected by you? If you disagree with his criticism of the GPA, it would be a little more enlightening for the rest of us if you could point out where you believe he's wrong. If you don't disagree, what's the point of selecting some other topic you think he hasn't but should have addressed (although, as someone pointed out, he has).

macdanger2

Brolly is 100% correct in that article. Still a clown though

The fact that he gives his RTÉ fees to charity makes his dig on O'Rourke during the summer seem even more snide

rrhf

I'll reiterate the point very well made earlier.  How transparent is the gaa on salaries paid to the ex player cosy club? And how many wages at what level are being paid by cp? I'd imagine These may already be in the gaa annual reports etc.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on November 03, 2014, 04:20:28 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 03, 2014, 04:06:14 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 03:41:37 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2014, 03:27:50 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 03:22:37 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on November 03, 2014, 03:19:41 PM

Nothing. Gives his RTE and other media fees to charity.

Does he really? That would be impressive!

Yeah he doesn't take fees for any Club appearances or anything like that.

In fairness he's a barrister so the fee he gets from RTE is probably not a huge deal to him.

Whatever about his comments on TV I think he is a genuinely decent altruistic person who's just a bit of a cocky b**tard.

So he does make money from RTE, his public personae certainly doesn't detract from his law business either I would imagine.

Yes his altruism is to be admired but it always seems to be about him. If I wasn't already a registered organ donor and a current platelet donor he would actually put me off registering. Any donation to me is a very personal choice and should be motivated intrinsically.
I think a lot of the law fraternity look down on such dirty common things such as tv punditry!

from recollection Joe clocked up approx. £350,000 in fees about two years ago.
he isn't short of a few bob and he does a heck of a lot for charade

would love to see the gpa taking him on. it would be funny!

slick Joe Brolly up against the bully boy mentality of the gpa (gpa hierarchy sending him hate mail with some of it in joindy up writing!!)
:)

Predictive text can be a bitch!
Lol
Not this time
Charadee !!
Missed out the second 'e' !!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 03, 2014, 04:25:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 03, 2014, 04:13:58 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 03, 2014, 04:08:58 PM

what salary are we currently paying CEO Dessie would anyone know?

Ah here now, you can't be going and asking that, its market sensitive information.

How exactly is it market sensitive information? What would be the negative consequences for the GPA and the GAA if everyone knew how much Dessie was carrying home? The only one it has potential to have negative consequences for is Dessie.

Overall I call big hairy bollox on the notion of it being commercially sensitive marker information - that's the standard line when someone is getting paid way over the odds for a handy number and claiming stupid loadsamoney expenses - basically it's a case of Dessie not wanting everyone to know just how much he is coining in in terms of his wage packet, alongside the junkets and the expenses.

Feck it I'm almost tempted to set up a Gaelic Club Players Association, shout and moan about Croke Park for a bit about them being useless,so I can get bought off to go inside the tent and end up with my own little GAA kingdom and a tasty salary - of course I'll have some of the ordinary decent lads do a bit of charity work (that they would probably be doing anyway) so that I can use that as an excuse if anyone complains about me.
You left out the bit where you'd 'look after' yer pals in yer clique with this stash of cash !!

onefaircounty

It's well known that Brolly won't accept cash for club events even though he does them nearly every single week.

Mike Sheehy

I think the most alarming thing about this whole thing is how sensitive the Meath lads have become. There was a time when being called a "Meath f**ker" was a badge of honour for them!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 03, 2014, 11:48:56 PM
I think the most alarming thing about this whole thing is how sensitive the Meath lads have become. There was a time when being called a "Meath f**ker" was a badge of honour for them!
sure football has gone as soft as feck now - lads diving, whinging and looking to get substituted even for mild injuries.
looks like hurling is following suit.

Hardy

We're still ruthless, merciless and brutal, but in a more sensitive way.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 03, 2014, 11:48:56 PM

Being called a "Meath funker" was never a badge of honour for us.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

I think a lot of the criticism of the GPA is down to pure begrudgery. They're getting something that I don't get, didn't get, missed out on, etc, etc.

Summed up in one of Joe's conclusions towards the end of his column:

This drift towards capitalism and the creation of an elite game has resulted in the club members and club players which make up 99.9% of the GAA being screwed

Which is absolute nonsense!

Club games have been messed about in every county for at least 40 years. Sometimes because the intercounty team have done very well and/or the county board bend over backwards at every request by the intercounty manager, and more often because of incompetence in fixture scheduling. But whether the GPA existed or didnt, would have absolutely no impact on the club player or member or fixtures, etc.

The GPA is irrelevant to the "ordinary" club player or member. For me as an ordinary club member and trainer of an underage team, the fact that intercounty players are generally getting (even) better looked after now and making a few bob from endorsements doesn't benefit me one iota. But it doesn't cost me anything either, so I said Good Luck to them. But for others, it just seems to sicken their hole. And those begrudgers are great at making plenty of noise.