Derry vs Tipperary, Breffini Park, Sarurday 23rd July 5pm, Live on Sky

Started by quiganmaster, July 18, 2016, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Yellowcard, very strong on the whole mayo are fnished thing.youre adamant on this and have said so in past posts too.

I respect people are entitled to form an opinion obviously but id like to know what you and your ilk will do if we beat both westmeath and qf opponents ? What happens then , how can you and tommy carr et el be so wrong. The disrespect shown to this group of mayo players is fuckn disgraceful . People need to take a good look at themselves , five aisf appearances on the trot ffs man , some of ye need chokin i swear.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

screenexile

Quote from: Minder on July 24, 2016, 12:23:34 AM
Is this tweet from an Irish News journalist in relation to this thread ?

@CahairOKane1 The GAABoard really should be shut down. A forum for faceless men to have low cuts at amateur players who bust themselves every week #cruel

Some sensationalist muck being talked on the Derry GAA thread a load of c***ts happy to knock the County in favour of their clubs. Truth be told we lacked in a lot of areas today. Oh and neutrals are loving that we went man for man today but in today's game it is just not acceptable to leave the space in your defence that we did today. Tipp had acres to attack into and we were caught badly not least when they had a stonewall penalty disallowed before HT.

When Donegal/Tyrone/Dublin/anybody lose the ball they have at least 11 retreat to defend. For some reason we thought 6/7 men was enough to keep Tipp out but they have some great forwards in Quinlavan and Sweeney so we got nailed and rightly so. That's before you get to our midfield getting destroyed.

Tipp the better team but I thought Daniel Heavron was MOTM. He was exceptional throughout with 4 from play and the assist for the goal.

We're badly short midfielders and possibly 2/3 defenders and a GK but in reality Galway would have eaten us in CP (unfortunately I think Tipp are in for a hiding). Having said that today was a game e should have won and should be looked upon as such in any analysis of the year. Barton deserves his reprieve as he claimed 2 good results against Cavan and Meath but he will be judged much more harshly  next year and rightly so.

Good luck to Tipp v Galway!

screenexile

Quote from: larryin89 on July 24, 2016, 12:48:33 AM
Yellowcard, very strong on the whole mayo are fnished thing.youre adamant on this and have said so in past posts too.

I respect people are entitled to form an opinion obviously but id like to know what you and your ilk will do if we beat both westmeath and qf opponents ? What happens then , how can you and tommy carr et el be so wrong. The disrespect shown to this group of mayo players is fuckn disgraceful . People need to take a good look at themselves , five aisf appearances on the trot ffs man , some of ye need chokin i swear.

Nobody's doubting the team Mayo have been the past 5 years Larry but it's looking like they aren't up to the same level this year. Personally I hope they have one more kick in them but if they can't beat Galway at the 2nd attempt what chance do they have against the Dubs???

JoG2

@CahairOKane1 The GAABoard really should be shut down. A forum for faceless men to have low cuts at amateur players who bust themselves every week #cruel

Yer man is absolutely right.  Prob the Derry thread itself.....Full of tubes who wouldn't have a notion about the game and what it takes to compete.  I'd say there's not another county in the country with the levels of negativity that Derry has, it would suck the life out of ye.

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2016, 01:01:45 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 24, 2016, 12:48:33 AM

Nobody's doubting the team Mayo have been the past 5 years Larry but it's looking like they aren't up to the same level this year. Personally I hope they have one more kick in them but if they can't beat Galway at the 2nd attempt what chance do they have against the Dubs???
Of course if they lost to Galway a second time, they have no chance of beating the Dubs. But if Mayo do play Galway again, they'll win easily. In the first game Mayo were coasting to victory in 2nd gear. Then when the Galway 1-1 came, Mayo found they were stuck in 2nd gear. No chance of that happening if they get another chance, plus Diarmuid OConnor will be playing, unlike the last time, which will make a huge difference.

Mayo v Tyrone or Dublin will be a cracking and close quarter final

southderryman

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on July 24, 2016, 12:48:05 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 23, 2016, 11:45:29 PM
Interested to hear any neutrals views on marty Duffy?

Not sour grapes on my behalf as I do feel tipp were the better team and at the end of the day you can't give up the scoring chances we did and expect to win.

But....and there's always a but....it seemed to me (biased off course) that tipp got a serious amount of handy frees within  13-30 metres out. I'd estimate the free count was somewhere in the region of 3:1 in Tipperarys favour. Happy to be proved wrong with any impartial views or stats
According to Cahair  Okane Free count was Tipp 33 Derry 12

Thought it would have been something in that region

Now I'm not for once second second saying they weren't all frees, God knows I know how some of our lads try to tackle, very niaive at times, but there was a spell in the second half when they were constantly getting frees within 30m of our goal, you just knew when a tipp man got the ball it was going to be a free

In the long run its probably better that this happened as we'd have conceded a cricket score in the QF but it is still hard to take in a game what you lose by 1 point. In addition, tips last point in first half came in the 4th minute of injury time, he signalled 2. He wasn't as generous at the end of the game despite the time wasting off the tipp keeper and the disgraceful tackle their man got black carded for (that tackle shows how ineffective the back card is.... it was no loss to tipp losing a man at that stage, but the damage was done and it allowed tipp time to get every man back, the team who were wronged ended up with the disadvantage at the most crucial stage)

And before anyone accuses me of looking for excuses I'm not. We should never have lost a game from 2 points up like that. And we directly gave tipp 1-4 from stupid mistakes never mind poor defending so only have ourselves to blame there. But somebody in croke park needs to look at marty Duffy and take the man off the inter county circuit, he hasn't a clue what he's at half the time, players put in savage effort all year and he could end up costing one of the big teams an all ireland if he's put in charge of any games down the line. A complete liability.

southderryman

Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2016, 12:58:48 AM

Some sensationalist muck being talked on the Derry GAA thread a load of c***ts happy to knock the County in favour of their clubs. Truth be told we lacked in a lot of areas today. Oh and neutrals are loving that we went man for man today but in today's game it is just not acceptable to leave the space in your defence that we did today. Tipp had acres to attack into and we were caught badly not least when they had a stonewall penalty disallowed before HT.

When Donegal/Tyrone/Dublin/anybody lose the ball they have at least 11 retreat to defend. For some reason we thought 6/7 men was enough to keep Tipp out but they have some great forwards in Quinlavan and Sweeney so we got nailed and rightly so. That's before you get to our midfield getting destroyed.

Tipp the better team but I thought Daniel Heavron was MOTM. He was exceptional throughout with 4 from play and the assist for the goal.

We're badly short midfielders and possibly 2/3 defenders and a GK but in reality Galway would have eaten us in CP (unfortunately I think Tipp are in for a hiding). Having said that today was a game e should have won and should be looked upon as such in any analysis of the year. Barton deserves his reprieve as he claimed 2 good results against Cavan and Meath but he will be judged much more harshly  next year and rightly so.

Good luck to Tipp v Galway!

You make it sound like we lines up with the traditional 6-2-6....I must have been watching a different game

There were long spells today when we had 10/11/12/13 men behind the ball. It didn't make any difference as they have no idea what they're supposed to be doing. We get loads of bodies back but no one is actually doing a job. It actually leaves us worse of as players mark space and not men.

It was absolutely criminal the way a tipp constantly found gaping holes when we had that many men back.

You either do go man for man, our you organise yourselves properly to defend. We made half arsed attempts at both at various stages.

Agree with most of the rest of your post

An Fhairche Abu

Not sour grapes on my behalf as I do feel tipp were the better team and at the end of the day you can't give up the scoring chances we did and expect to win.

But....and there's always a but....it seemed to me (biased off course) that tipp got a serious amount of handy frees within  13-30 metres out. I'd estimate the free count was somewhere in the region of 3:1 in Tipperarys favour. Happy to be proved wrong with any impartial views or stats

From a neutral perspective I felt that Derry got a few very harsh frees given against them yesterday, one tap over free in the second half straight in front of the posts was a particularly bad decision by Duffy.
I would say that Derry put themselves in a winning position but Tipp showed fantastic resolve to hit the decisive scores at the end.
I thought that Tipp just shaded it as the better team but Derry weren't very far off them, despite the loss Heavron should have got the MOTM nod, outstanding from start to finish.

skeog

marty is a clown not as big a one as his brother michael who thankfully has been banished to the stands marty needs to follow suit dont expect to see marty again this year

southderryman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 24, 2016, 10:19:41 AM

From a neutral perspective I felt that Derry got a few very harsh frees given against them yesterday, one tap over free in the second half straight in front of the posts was a particularly bad decision by Duffy.
I would say that Derry put themselves in a winning position but Tipp showed fantastic resolve to hit the decisive scores at the end.
I thought that Tipp just shaded it as the better team but Derry weren't very far off them, despite the loss Heavron should have got the MOTM nod, outstanding from start to finish.

I'd agree with all of that tbh. Tipp did deserve it. Just disappointing how much we gifted to them but hopefully we'll learn from it. Still a fairly young team we have there.

Agree about Danny, thought he was outstanding, brilliant composure on the ball

southderryman

Quote from: skeog on July 24, 2016, 10:22:51 AM
marty is a clown not as big a one as his brother michael who thankfully has been banished to the stands marty needs to follow suit dont expect to see marty again this year

Like all players he's an amateur and doesn't have to do it. I've probably been harsh on him above but at the end of the day, if a player isn't good enough to be on the inter county scene he won't be selected.  The same should apply to Duffy, he'll end up costing a team an all ireland with his inept displays and if it gets that far it could be another Martin sludden incident. Obviously that would be extreme and wrong, but if a team lose an all ireland by a point after one of his gaffes some lunatic will.take matters into his own hands

AZOffaly

I think there was harsh frees on both sides to be honest, but yes Tipp seemed to get a lot of them close to goals. I suppose that could also have been a product of Tipp running direct at Derry. There'll be collisions/tackles then, and that will also give the ref a chance to give a soft free.

A by product of that style, which was not seen so far all year, was how strict he was on the overcarrying. I'm sure Tipp thought they had another couple of frees but ened up been blown up for over carrying. Probably correctly in fairness.

The Sweeney incident with the goalkeeper was bizarre, and could have been a right cluster f**k. Instead of playing advantage when Sweeney recovered the ball after the brilliant work by the goalie, he gave a free because he thought the goalie touched it on the ground. When he realised he didn't he had to throw the ball in. Luckily for him, or probably *because* he missed the advantage, he gave Tipp a soft free in to score anyway.

southderryman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2016, 10:39:03 AM
I think there was harsh frees on both sides to be honest, but yes Tipp seemed to get a lot of them close to goals. I suppose that could also have been a product of Tipp running direct at Derry. There'll be collisions/tackles then, and that will also give the ref a chance to give a soft free.

A by product of that style, which was not seen so far all year, was how strict he was on the overcarrying. I'm sure Tipp thought they had another couple of frees but ened up been blown up for over carrying. Probably correctly in fairness.

The Sweeney incident with the goalkeeper was bizarre, and could have been a right cluster f**k. Instead of playing advantage when Sweeney recovered the ball after the brilliant work by the goalie, he gave a free because he thought the goalie touched it on the ground. When he realised he didn't he had to throw the ball in. Luckily for him, or probably *because* he missed the advantage, he gave Tipp a soft free in to score anyway.

Fair enough comment. And I wouldn't dispute that tipp got a lot of frees by running at us. I've seen it a million times before and we simply can't cope with it it. No question plenty of them were frees. But it was very frustrating the times our defence and done well to stop runners and pushed men out that he gave frees for next to nothing.

It's the nature of the free count that galls me more than anything. I really don't think a team merited 3 times as many frees as another. Really wasn't that type of game.

The last example you state I agree with entirely, but because he made the wrong call to begin with he shouldn't give a free just for a sake of it. Shows up how bad a ref he is.

On another note, and I'm prepared to be corrected on this....if a free is taken too short, is it not a hop ball?

Wildweasel74

Yes the free taken too short has always been a hop ball, couldn't understand that decision or the one he blew for thinking the keeper touched the ball on the ground when he had not, but they may have changed the rules, constant rules changes is hard to keep up with.

johnneycool

Quote from: Thastheball on July 24, 2016, 12:18:44 PM
Quote from: southderryman on July 24, 2016, 10:32:12 AM
Quote from: skeog on July 24, 2016, 10:22:51 AM

Like all players he's an amateur and doesn't have to do it. I've probably been harsh on him above but at the end of the day, if a player isn't good enough to be on the inter county scene he won't be selected.  The same should apply to Duffy, he'll end up costing a team an all ireland with his inept displays and if it gets that far it could be another Martin sludden incident. Obviously that would be extreme and wrong, but if a team lose an all ireland by a point after one of his gaffes some lunatic will.take matters into his own hands

Let's get one thing straight, refs are not amateurs, especially intercounty ones, they get well looked after in the 'expenses ' category

Serious, those referees don't have  full time jobs other than refereeing?

When was this rule changed?