NHL 2017

Started by Milltown Row2, February 10, 2017, 08:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 19, 2017, 05:09:33 PM
Kilkenny for the drop?

Clare's movement caused them all sorts of problems today

No drop as they'll beat Dublin/Cork surely?  Kilkenny have no goal threat at all, that's 3 games they've failed to get a goal, handling and striking is poor and options off the bench not great... to be fair to Clare they got a great start and seemed more hungry for the ball...

On another note, how many penalties have been scored? Was meant to be easier to score, seen three cracking saves there..

Didn't realise Dublin played last night!! Cheers Minder and Tony ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

macdanger2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2017, 05:24:52 PM
Kilkenny for the drop?

No drop as they'll beat Dublin/Cork surely?  Kilkenny have no goal threat at all, that's 3 games they've failed to get a goal, handling and striking is poor and options off the bench not great... to be fair to Clare they got a great start and seemed more hungry for the ball...

On another note, how many penalties have been scored? Was meant to be easier to score, seen three cracking saves there..

Is the craic with the hurling league not that you can lose all your games and win the relegation playoff and stay up??

Minder

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 19, 2017, 10:17:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2017, 05:24:52 PM
Kilkenny for the drop?

Is the craic with the hurling league not that you can lose all your games and win the relegation playoff and stay up??

Yeah I think that was the case with Cork last year
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

manfromdelmonte

don't think there is a relegation playoff this year

didlyi

No relegation play off this year. It could come down to Dubs v Kilkenny at Parnell in last round. Dubs will have cuala lads back then so KK drop is definitely a possibility. But the way this league is unfolding the only team safe at the moment is Tipp.

johnneycool

Quote from: didlyi on February 19, 2017, 11:56:15 PM
No relegation play off this year. It could come down to Dubs v Kilkenny at Parnell in last round. Dubs will have cuala lads back then so KK drop is definitely a possibility. But the way this league is unfolding the only team safe at the moment is Tipp.

Cork are very much still in the relegation mix with Waterford, Tipp and Kilkenny to play.

I can see two teams on 2 points, how are they to be deciphered?

Ash Smoker

Davy Fitz took a big gamble on getting Wexford flying fit for February.
They'll get promoted now, but Galway could have won game instead and Wexford would be stranded in 1B for another year.

johnneycool

Spare a thought for poor Offaly, they win one game in Div1B to avoid relegation and are rewarded with a visit by Tipp this weekend.

That could be a chastening experience.

All joking aside, winning one game in Div1B and in a NHL quarterfinal doesn't make a whole pile of sense does it?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: johnneycool on March 28, 2017, 11:53:57 AM
Spare a thought for poor Offaly, they win one game in Div1B to avoid relegation and are rewarded with a visit by Tipp this weekend.

That could be a chastening experience.

All joking aside, winning one game in Div1B and in a NHL quarterfinal doesn't make a whole pile of sense does it?
Nicely played by Offaly, maximum efficiency and all that.
We're waiting in the long grass for Tipperary now.

AZOffaly

I see people using this as an excuse to have a go at the league format. Really it's the likes of Limerick and Galway pissed off that they have to slum it with Laois and Offaly. But I think this league format is the best there's been for many years in hurling.

The one thing that is a bit incongruous is this notion of the quarter finals. I don't think there's any need for the 3rd and 4th place 1B team to make a quarter final.

Why not just have 1 & 2 in 1A straight into a semi final, and 3rd and 4th in 1A versus 1st and 2nd in 1B in the quarter final.

If Tipperary go all out against Offaly, this could be another Kilkenny type massacre, and it will do neither any good.  If they go out and try and stroll in the park, then they'll still win, but what purpose does that serve either?

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2017, 12:16:19 PM
I see people using this as an excuse to have a go at the league format. Really it's the likes of Limerick and Galway pissed off that they have to slum it with Laois and Offaly. But I think this league format is the best there's been for many years in hurling.

The one thing that is a bit incongruous is this notion of the quarter finals. I don't think there's any need for the 3rd and 4th place 1B team to make a quarter final.

Why not just have 1 & 2 in 1A straight into a semi final, and 3rd and 4th in 1A versus 1st and 2nd in 1B in the quarter final.

If Tipperary go all out against Offaly, this could be another Kilkenny type massacre, and it will do neither any good.  If they go out and try and stroll in the park, then they'll still win, but what purpose does that serve either?

That tweak would be ideal as I find the current league structures fine the way they are.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: johnneycool on March 28, 2017, 12:48:49 PM

That tweak would be ideal as I find the current league structures fine the way they are.
+1

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 28, 2017, 02:30:08 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 28, 2017, 12:48:49 PM

+1

+2

That's the clear and obvious change that needs to be made.

Ash Smoker

Just have semi finals with the top 3 from Div 1A and the top team from 1B.

johnneycool

Quote from: Ash Smoker on March 29, 2017, 03:01:20 PM
Just have semi finals with the top 3 from Div 1A and the top team from 1B.

Ah here now, you couldn't be going and losing out on four gates in the one go.