David Clifford

Started by JimStynes, August 21, 2017, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 18, 2017, 10:03:52 AM
An absolute joy to watch. Hopefully Kerry can help see off the Australian advances.....hope this lad is playing for Kerry for years to come.

The fundamental question here is what people are willing to accept in terms of how far Kerry can go to keep him here.

If Kerry put E40,000 per annum and a car for the next 5 years in front of him in return for promotional work and use of his image and likeness would everyone be okay with that?

WT4E

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 18, 2017, 10:52:29 AM
An absolute joy to watch. Hopefully Kerry can help see off the Australian advances.....hope this lad is playing for Kerry for years to come.

The fundamental question here is what people are willing to accept in terms of how far Kerry can go to keep him here.

If Kerry put E40,000 per annum and a car for the next 5 years in front of him in return for promotional work and use of his image and likeness would everyone be okay with that?

He might have to transfer to Dublin to get that!

AZOffaly

I wouldn't be okay with that. I have no bother with the GAA helping him out getting a job, like all the GAA lads in the banks, but you can't start paying lads to stop them going to Australia. I read something from Kerry there recently which worried me a little bit in how it was worded, because it sounded very like what you're saying DK.

Walter Cronc

Personally I don't think he would make it at AFL.

He's obviously the best minor this last 20 odd years but physically I'm no so sure if he's suited as say someone like Mark O'Connor, Conor McKenna, Conor Glass.

DuffleKing

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2017, 10:54:44 AM

I wouldn't be okay with that. I have no bother with the GAA helping him out getting a job, like all the GAA lads in the banks, but you can't start paying lads to stop them going to Australia. I read something from Kerry there recently which worried me a little bit in how it was worded, because it sounded very like what you're saying DK.

That's the question AZ.

Currently co boards 'assist' with securing jobs and intervening with employers for flexibility around training, etc. Most counties have 2/3 that fall into that category but the better financed (and invariably more successful) counties go a little further in terms of the nature and depth of that support.

Of course Dublin have a player support approach that requires resources, staff time and a certain amount of networking / influence that extends to the very bottom of the panel.

Kerry will need all the talent that is available to them to try to bridge the gap to the top table - if David Clifford comes along and says he has an offer of a professional contract and the associated lifestyle but would seriously consider staying at home if there was something to stay for, what are they to do? What will Kerry supporters want them to do?

doodaa

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2017, 11:02:33 AM

He's obviously the best minor this last 20 odd years but physically I'm no so sure if he's suited as say someone like Mark O'Connor, Conor McKenna, Conor Glass.

He looks to be as tall and as athletic as Conor Glass, can kick off both feet, seems to have a good footballing brain (eg the pass for the 2nd Kerry goal) and can field a ball well. What do you think he is lacking? Bulk? I'm sure a pro S&C regime would soon sort that out!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: doodaa on September 18, 2017, 11:43:11 AM

He looks to be as tall and as athletic as Conor Glass, can kick off both feet, seems to have a good footballing brain (eg the pass for the 2nd Kerry goal) and can field a ball well. What do you think he is lacking? Bulk? I'm sure a pro S&C regime would soon sort that out!

He's a better natural footballer than the 3 lads I listed, no question. Better athlete? I don't think he is. Be a real shame if he's lost to Oz.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2017, 10:54:44 AM

AZ - how much are you ok with? The guys playing yesterday are all officially getting 4/5k as it stands. Plus many other benefits. That's the reality. Good luck to them, game yesterday was a credit to them all. Makes me laugh when the Croke Park guys talk about the amateur ethos - it's a long time gone. We need to go one way or the other but this "shamateurism" at present is a bit embarrassing.

I'd love the games to be properly amateur but I think that can't be the case with so much money now involved and so many people paid for their services.

AZOffaly

You're talking about the GPA negotiated grants?

I'm okay with county boards helping players get jobs. I'm okay with county boards employing lads as GDAs etc if they are qualified. I'm okay with county boards setting up services like interview coaching, CV help etc.

I'm not okay with county boards directly paying players to play.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2017, 11:57:07 AM
You're talking about the GPA negotiated grants?

I'm okay with county boards helping players get jobs. I'm okay with county boards employing lads as GDAs etc if they are qualified. I'm okay with county boards setting up services like interview coaching, CV help etc.

I'm not okay with county boards directly paying players to play.

Yes, the Sports Council money that's additional expenses or a grant depending what side of your mouth you're talking. It's money for playing intercounty football/hurling. Maybe we should get a bigger additional expenses/grant for David Clifford due to his cultural significance and we can pretend it's not pay for play?

Jinxy

Young Brown from Derry is a ready made aussie rules player.
Moreso than Clifford.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: doodaa on September 18, 2017, 11:43:11 AM

He's too languid, he'd want too much time on the ball in AFL.

There is a relative art to tackling in GAA compared to AFL where you just drag a lad to the ground.

yellowcard

Great player and I don't think Kerry will lose him to AFL as he looks an out and out Gaelic footballer to me and not an obvious powerful explosive based player suited to AFL.

Rossfan

Kerry will do what has to be done to keep him at home.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gold

Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2017, 08:47:59 PM

Young Brown from Derry is a ready made aussie rules player.
Moreso than Clifford.

Jesus Brown is a beast...how the hell did he not start??!

Clifford...omg.
Class..was a joy to see  in person yesterday
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."