Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Teams are dragged from one end of the country to another throughout the league.

Casement is not being built to drag Kerry and Cork to Belfast, but let's get it built, with agreement
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Yes I agree but let's get some novelty games that'll promote it early doors and maybe, just maybe we'll be able to watch Antrim in championship there, and Ulster football finals at the very least
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 26, 2020, 09:12:27 PM
Ain't that depressing from an Antrim perspective.

Yes, hopeful the Hurlers will bring us some bigger games

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Did anyone hear Neil McManus on Radio Ulster today? One of his points was "west Belfast really needs this". Why? Now don't jump down my throat. Just explain it to me. Gaelfast is what Belfast needed more for me.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 26, 2020, 09:45:34 PM
Did anyone hear Neil McManus on Radio Ulster today? One of his points was "west Belfast really needs this". Why? Now don't jump down my throat. Just explain it to me. Gaelfast is what Belfast needed more for me.

Along with Gaelfast it'll certainly bring more attention and interest

marty34

Quote from: hardstation on October 26, 2020, 08:18:39 PM
Quote from: marty34 on October 26, 2020, 07:32:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2020, 04:39:57 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 26, 2020, 04:32:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2020, 04:26:10 PM
Quote from: dec on October 26, 2020, 04:14:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2020, 12:41:50 PM
Possibly but the second city in Ireland should have a stadium that's reflects a lot of cities around the world...

We have a stadium that's fit for purpose for soccer and rugby, we should have had similar for GAA, maybe not as grand as the one that was initially thought of but certainly a brand new stadium, a sort of mini Croke.

We would have been using the stadium now, had the right planning and proper consultations been in place with the locals. Its a shame that its still on going with all the costs

I'd have been happy with a 28 grand seater stadium with corporate facilities/handball courts/ bar/ restaurants/ and conference rooms..

How many times per year would such a stadium be filled or nearly filled?

Casement would have had big numbers on many occasions when the big teams played there.. no reason why they won't be played there again. and with a view of getting a hurling and football quarterfinal you'll be looking at good gates.. Add in your concerts and the running of conferences and so on, it'll be used.

That's a management thing, it'll be a business at that point. It won't all be about the GAA, same as Croke... Corrigan which is nearly finished and hosted Westmeath at the weekend will be our Parnel park
I think a football quarter final is a stretch in itself but a hurling one?

Yes I know that's pushing it but, if Antrim keep the momentum they have and develop their game further they my be pushing for a quarter final before long, was the Wexford and Tipp games quarter finals?

The GAA should be looking at the start to bring the National Hurling League Final there.
If the GAA are having to drag teams the length of the country just to "use the new stadium", it raises questions about the GAA's need for the new stadium in the first place.

I was thinking more of the terms of promoting hurling in Ulster.

Tipp were up in Antrim for games on an annual basis.  Ballyhale played in Newry at the start of this year in front of a great crowd.

I think, depending on the teams, could be quite beneficial plus Id say the two teams in question would be delighted to do it.

LCohen

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2020, 10:03:27 PM

Well if it's all for the speculative benefit of Antrim it's fairly obvious where the overspend should be funded from🤷🏻‍♂️

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LCohen on October 26, 2020, 10:32:38 PM

Well if it's all for the speculative benefit of Antrim it's fairly obvious where the overspend should be funded from🤷🏻‍♂️

The venue just happens to be in Belfast

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

yeah profile would be raised but id argue that a greater bang for your buck will be got from gaelfast. id take hand off ye for that here in Derry. 

Milltown Row2

I'm with you on that and there's no reason why Gaels I'm Derry like your club and county board shouldn't be demanding that same thing

imtommygunn

There's as much chance of one of us having 33 mill in their back pocket as antrim county board!

marty34

Quote from: hardstation on October 27, 2020, 09:02:52 AM
Quote from: marty34 on October 26, 2020, 10:32:26 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 26, 2020, 08:18:39 PM
Quote from: marty34 on October 26, 2020, 07:32:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2020, 04:39:57 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 26, 2020, 04:32:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2020, 04:26:10 PM
Quote from: dec on October 26, 2020, 04:14:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2020, 12:41:50 PM
Possibly but the second city in Ireland should have a stadium that's reflects a lot of cities around the world...

We have a stadium that's fit for purpose for soccer and rugby, we should have had similar for GAA, maybe not as grand as the one that was initially thought of but certainly a brand new stadium, a sort of mini Croke.

We would have been using the stadium now, had the right planning and proper consultations been in place with the locals. Its a shame that its still on going with all the costs

I'd have been happy with a 28 grand seater stadium with corporate facilities/handball courts/ bar/ restaurants/ and conference rooms..

How many times per year would such a stadium be filled or nearly filled?

Casement would have had big numbers on many occasions when the big teams played there.. no reason why they won't be played there again. and with a view of getting a hurling and football quarterfinal you'll be looking at good gates.. Add in your concerts and the running of conferences and so on, it'll be used.

That's a management thing, it'll be a business at that point. It won't all be about the GAA, same as Croke... Corrigan which is nearly finished and hosted Westmeath at the weekend will be our Parnel park
I think a football quarter final is a stretch in itself but a hurling one?

Yes I know that's pushing it but, if Antrim keep the momentum they have and develop their game further they my be pushing for a quarter final before long, was the Wexford and Tipp games quarter finals?

The GAA should be looking at the start to bring the National Hurling League Final there.
If the GAA are having to drag teams the length of the country just to "use the new stadium", it raises questions about the GAA's need for the new stadium in the first place.

I was thinking more of the terms of promoting hurling in Ulster.

Tipp were up in Antrim for games on an annual basis.  Ballyhale played in Newry at the start of this year in front of a great crowd.

I think, depending on the teams, could be quite beneficial plus Id say the two teams in question would be delighted to do it.
Tipp come up for a charity/memorial game. Which is fair enough.
Ballyhale played in Newry as a neutral venue against Slaughtneil. Which is fair enough.

Making 2 teams and their supporters travel from what is likely to be very far south to Belfast for a serious game (a national final) to promote Ulster hurling or to make Casement seem less redundant would not be fair enough. It would be ridiculous and very unfair on those counties.

I would disagree.

The GAA promotes the game of hurling in...errrmmmm..Boston.

It's a holiday/junket granted, but the point still stands that GAA HQ could promote hurling in Ireland's second city, in a brand new stadium in a one off scenario.

I guarantee you that whatever southern counties would be involved, they'd buy into a festival of hurling over that week-end.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 27, 2020, 09:19:57 AM
Absolutely they should get teams up for the opening of it or some other piss about match but not a national final. The supporters of those counties deserve fair access to that game. Not dragged the entire length of the country.

I can't not agree with that, as much as I want to see that it'll not happen

LCohen

Absolutely they should get teams up for the opening of it or some other piss about match but not a national final. The supporters of those counties deserve fair access to that game. Not dragged the entire length of the country.

Agree with that. The stadium should be developed to meet a need that is there. Not to move games around that already can be accommodated. I get the point that Clones would need major redevelopment and that is probably not going to happen and it's therefore legitimate to look somewhere else in Ulster for a leading stadium.

Somewhere around Dungannon would probably suit most but it's going to be Casement

rosnarun

Quote from: LCohen on October 27, 2020, 12:29:15 PM

Agree with that. The stadium should be developed to meet a need that is there. Not to move games around that already can be accommodated. I get the point that Clones would need major redevelopment and that is probably not going to happen and it’s therefore legitimate to look somewhere else in Ulster for a leading stadium.

Somewhere around Dungannon would probably suit most but it’s going to be Casement
surely the point of a new stadium wouild be to broaden the appeal rather  than to Stay the Same
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere