European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: gallsman on June 01, 2021, 02:56:37 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 31, 2021, 09:59:40 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 31, 2021, 08:47:36 PM

They let Suarez go, correctly, because he was incredibly expensive and they realised the team couldn't afford to have another aging, slowing striker alongside Messi.

Aguero is coming in on probably something less than half of Suarez's wage as, primarily, a backup.

His 24 goals involvements in 32 games proved key in Atlético Madrid title success and Luis remarks afterwards let Barcelona know they let him go too soon.   Aguero left Manchester City because he wanted more starts and be less of a backup, if used correctly his goals can go a long way towards Barcelona regaining the La Liga title.

Atleti are a completely different team to Barca playing a completely different style of football. Everyone else in the team can do all the hard work and running. At Barca, they already  "have" to pander to Messi and work hard to allow him to be the player he is. You can't do that twice over which they'd have had to do with Suarez.

Barca scored 18 goals more than anyone else in the league this year. Scoring goals wasn't their problem. The fact that Suarez was a significant part of Atleti's win has no relevance to the decision of whether they were right to let him go or not. Nobody was under the impression that he wasn't/isn't still a top level footballer, capable of scoring.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Barca are absolutely f**king skint and needed to get wages off their books. Suarez was one of the highest paid players in the world and they could survive without him. Anyone going "Suarez won the league with atleti, Barca should never have let him go" is, at best a bit simple, at worst a complete f**king idiot.

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 01, 2021, 02:31:26 PM
Ancelotti to take over at Real Madrid
Not based on what he done at Everton, as 10th place finish was poor with the money spent.

A rebuilding Job to do at real,lot of ageing players

Because he'll keep his mouth shut and not complain openly when Florentino doesn't open the chequebook and bring in 5 150m euro footballers in the next 18 months.

Luis Suárez himself thinks that and given his actions over the years he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

gallsman

Luis Suarez thinks club should not have let go of Luis Suarez.

I am completely and utterly shocked. Shocked I tell you!

yellowcard

They let Suarez go, correctly, because he was incredibly expensive and they realised the team couldn't afford to have another aging, slowing striker alongside Messi.

Aguero is coming in on probably something less than half of Suarez's wage as, primarily, a backup.

In Suarez 6 seasons at Barca he consistently averaged over 30 goals a season and also provided multiple assists, whilst he became their all time third highest ever goalscorer in the process. He's clearly not as good as he once was after 2 knee operations but releasing him weakened them and strengthened one of their main rivals. It was one of the worst pieces of transfer business carried out in recent times.

gallsman

Quote from: yellowcard on June 01, 2021, 03:44:49 PM

In Suarez 6 seasons at Barca he consistently averaged over 30 goals a season and also provided multiple assists, whilst he became their all time third highest ever goalscorer in the process. He's clearly not as good as he once was after 2 knee operations but releasing him weakened them and strengthened one of their main rivals. It was one of the worst pieces of transfer business carried out in recent times.

The question isn't whether letting him go to Atleti (for nothing) was a bad move, but rather whether they should have kept him.

Even at that, getting rid of him off pales into insignificance beside some of the other atrocious transfer deals they've done in the last six years. It's not even close up being their worst, never mind football's worst.

dec

Uefa getting rid of the away goals rule

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57599780

I don't think this is a good idea, it will just mean more ties getting settled with penalties.

Armagh18

Quote from: dec on June 24, 2021, 08:09:06 PM

I don't think this is a good idea, it will just mean more ties getting settled with penalties.
I think they should have just scrapped it for extra time in the second leg, which was totally unfair.

Like you say, lots of games going to go to penalties now which is exciting for a neutral but always shit to be involved in.

From the Bunker

Quote from: dec on June 24, 2021, 08:09:06 PM

Away goal encouraged the traveling team to have a go. It hugely added to the drama of a two legged tie. There will be more games going into extra time in the second leg, and more games decided by penalties.

There has been some amazing knockout games in the Champions League decided by away goals the last couple of seasons.

brokencrossbar1

Always thought the away goal was great as it made games so strategic. Even a 2-1 away loss was a good result. Now that's gone and to be honest I think it's a shame.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 25, 2021, 12:12:49 PM
Always thought the away goal was great as it made games so strategic. Even a 2-1 away loss was a good result. Now that's gone and to be honest I think it's a shame.

They said it was done based on stats from previous years showing no benefits.. I wouldn't know much about it to be fair but I can't see them changing it for any other reason
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Obvious

Taking away the away goal rule decreases the chance of underdogs winning two leg ties. Not a good move in my view.

Captain Obvious

Champions league draw.

The highlight of that draw was Laura Wontorra

Milltown Row2

Handy draw all round for the English teams.

City look to have the hardest group but are the best team.
Liverpool have minimum second place wrapped up
Chelsea current champions, and super cup champions, will improve even further this season in the league
United could not have asked for a better draw, so expect them to need a last game win to qualify
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 25, 2021, 12:58:31 PM
Taking away the away goal rule decreases the chance of underdogs winning two leg ties. Not a good move in my view.
Agree.
Shamrock Rovers need to win by 3 tonight having lost 4-2 away
2 might be doable but 3 looks like a stretch.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Capt Pat

PSG turned down 200 million euros for Mbappe who will now leave for free next year. It does leave PSG in a strong position in this years champions league I think but at what price.

gawa316

Griezman away back to Atletico on loan. Feck how much did Barca spunk away in him, Dembele and Countinho? I realize I could Google this but couldn't be arsed