European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 09, 2019, 11:39:48 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 09, 2019, 11:19:54 PM
This talk of 4 English clubs in the finals. It's not, it's 4 Premier League teams.

And Liverpool and Tottenham fans heading to Madrid is mad, but Arsenal and Chelsea going to Baku is mental. Can they not see who's in the final, then decide on a venue?

Surely CL final in Old Trafford and Europa at Wembley makes perfect sense?

Been the case for decades that cities compete to host the finals of the European Cup/Champions League while in the past it was the same with the Cup Winners Cup. The old UEFA Cup that has morphed into the Europa League used to have two-legged finals home & away up to 1997, now finals have a one-off game at a neutral venue though this can be unintentionally compromised (as in the European Cup final in 1984 which was scheduled to be held in Rome, with Roma qualifying for the final).

Announcing a venue for either final with only about three weeks to the game isn't practical given the occasion and profile.

They could announce it at the semi stage. So the CL final could take place in Paris, handier for the last 4. That'd be 6 weeks in advance. World Cup play offs are arranged in less time.

ziggy90

Quote from: BennyCake on May 10, 2019, 09:59:58 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 09, 2019, 11:39:48 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 09, 2019, 11:19:54 PM
This talk of 4 English clubs in the finals. It's not, it's 4 Premier League teams.

And Liverpool and Tottenham fans heading to Madrid is mad, but Arsenal and Chelsea going to Baku is mental. Can they not see who's in the final, then decide on a venue?

Surely CL final in Old Trafford and Europa at Wembley makes perfect sense?

Been the case for decades that cities compete to host the finals of the European Cup/Champions League while in the past it was the same with the Cup Winners Cup. The old UEFA Cup that has morphed into the Europa League used to have two-legged finals home & away up to 1997, now finals have a one-off game at a neutral venue though this can be unintentionally compromised (as in the European Cup final in 1984 which was scheduled to be held in Rome, with Roma qualifying for the final).

Announcing a venue for either final with only about three weeks to the game isn't practical given the occasion and profile.

They could announce it at the semi stage. So the CL final could take place in Paris, handier for the last 4. That'd be 6 weeks in advance. World Cup play offs are arranged in less time.

It takes a lot longer than that to wash brown envelopes.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Aaron Boone

The Super Cup in August in Istanbul is another big trek for the English teams.
But listen,cities bid well in advance to host these matches and they are prestigious things to be awarded. Dublin had two Portuguese teams for the 2011 Europa League final.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 10, 2019, 12:58:33 PM
But listen,cities bid well in advance to host these matches and they are prestigious things to be awarded. Dublin had two Portuguese teams for the 2011 Europa League final.

Yes, and my club got 100 FREE tickets, as did several other clubs I know.  I'd say there were 10,000 people from Portugal there, maximum - probably an over-estimation. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BennyCake

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 10, 2019, 01:49:11 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 10, 2019, 12:58:33 PM

Yes, and my club got 100 FREE tickets, as did several other clubs I know.  I'd say there were 10,000 people from Portugal there, maximum - probably an over-estimation.

And the other 40,000 from Dungannon, presumably?

dec

Quote from: BennyCake on May 10, 2019, 09:59:58 AM

The vast majority of CL semi-finalists are from England/Spain/Italy/Germany which means if you pick the host venue based on convenience for the teams then all the finals will be in western Europe.

Milltown Row2

Jesus! If you're a club supporter and you want to watch your team in a club final, you'll go! Anything else is bullshit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

They'll concentrate more on the league if that happens!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: laoislad on May 13, 2019, 07:26:32 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/sports/manchester-city-champions-league-uefa.html

They were found guilty of an FFP breach previously, widely accepted as one of, if not the richest club in the world. They were fined.

Get the house of them being found guilty here and being asked to take part in the UCL qualification stages.

bennydorano

I guess Bale is leaving Real Madrid - Zidane today said he wouldn't play Bale even if they were allowed 4 subs - this after a 2-0 home defeat! Brutal & pretty nasty.

As much as I love Zidane I think he'll not be as successful 2nd time round.

From the Bunker

Quote from: bennydorano on May 19, 2019, 10:35:25 PM
I guess Bale is leaving Real Madrid - Zidane today said he wouldn't play Bale even if they were allowed 4 subs - this after a 2-0 home defeat! Brutal & pretty nasty.

Bale probably does not fit his vision or style. Some times you have to be nasty to force players to leave. There are not many players who want to leave Real. You leave Real you are taking a step down. You see players all the time who won't leave big clubs.

OgraAnDun

Although this is being reported everywhere, Zidane actually said that regardless of who he brought on, the same question (why not player X) would have been asked of him.

Over the Bar

Don't believe everything the Brit press report. Pure BS translation

From the Bunker

God the Camera angle of the Europa League final nearly shows the whole pitch. Are the pictures coming direct from a satellite?