European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Stallion will start being a Man City fan.

The Stallion

StGallsGAA

Man City are the football equivalent of Dublin GAA.  Success founded simply on having the most money.  Good for everyone else to see them gone.

seafoid

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 16, 2017, 12:03:45 AM
Man City are the football equivalent of Dublin GAA.  Success founded simply on having the most money.  Good for everyone else to see them gone.
And what are Real Madrid ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 15, 2017, 09:38:59 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 15, 2017, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 15, 2017, 07:01:31 PM
Quote from: Mike Tyson on March 15, 2017, 11:11:18 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on March 15, 2017, 10:24:06 AM
Just to point out, Zidane was booked in each of France's opening 2006 group games as they failed to beat Switzerland and South Korea. They only got out of the group stages by beating Togo in a game Zidane was suspended for.

He wasn't awarded man of the match in any game at that World Cup, and while he was decent in a couple of games, he was nowhere near as good as Ronaldo in 1998 or 2002.

This is not to denigrate Zidane's career, i think he was a wonderful footballer, but not on the same level as Ronaldo.

He was in the quarter final against Brazil and also won player of the tournament. The rest of the players must have been pure muck if he won it having only been decent in a few games.

Once again it's the subjective narrative that follows sport. If you're citing player of the tournament awards as a barometer forget it, anyone who knows anything about football knows Cannavaro was the best player at the 2006 World Cup, by a landslide distance. Zidane much like France 98 had a pretty mediocre tournament with the odd flash of magic. The best tournament Zidane ever played (by some distance) was Euro 2000 where he was consistently good and decisive for France, even then I would say it was upstaged by Totti at that tournament.

Look at Messi winning the best player at the last World Cup, he was anonymous in the knockout stage. Argentina scored 2 goals in 450 minutes of knockout football, Messi contributed an assist in it and was somehow deemed the best player at the tournament? Ridiculous. You had James Rodriguez who was consistently super for Colombia overlooked, the referee allowed Brazil to kick him off the pitch in that game.

Player of the tournaments are very often political choices.

Ronaldo much like Maradona and to a lesser extent Baggio has the performances to stand up to the scrutiny when it comes to major tournaments.

Whose scrutiny? I think that the best player I have seen in action is Zidane. Is that ok?

Proper analysis.

Yeah, in your world. Stating something strongly does not make it fact or proper analysis.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

seafoid

Will Atletico ever win the Champions League?

shark

Quote from: seafoid on March 16, 2017, 08:09:18 AM
Will Atletico ever win the Champions League?

This year may be this current crops last chance. Only so long they can go with losing their best players. And they are no longer operating at the level of 1-3 years ago. Mainly from a defensive aspect where they are actually conceding a 'normal' amount of goals. Last season they only conceded 18 league goals.

Maroon Manc

Monaco better team over 2 legs and it would have been a more comfortable win apart from a crazy ten minutes in the first leg where they conceded 3 goals. Then there was the massive error from the Monaco keeper and Falcao's missed pen.

People forget Pep spent £170m last summer to add to a team that had the so called best squad in the league. He'll spend at least that again this summer.

Monaco are very impressive going forward but they can only play one way, once they retreated in the 2nd half they were picked off very easily. If they could keep that bunch of players together they'd be a better team next season but that won't happen. United have been linked with both central midfielders for a while, Fabinho certainly had the better game last night. The left back was brilliant too.

BarryBreensBandage

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

seafoid

The big guns are playing each other

Real vs Bayern
Juve v Barca

Leicester v Atletico
Dortmund v Monaco

Farrandeelin

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 16, 2017, 12:03:45 AM
Except they haven't retained anything.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Some awful officiating in this Real Madrid Bayern Munich game tonight. Madrid extremely luck not to be down to 10 men then moments later Vidal gets sent off for what looked like a good tackle. Second Madrid goal was clearly offside and question marks over their 3rd goal also.

Main Street

It was an excellent game until the  tissue of erroneous refereeing decisions tipped the scale towards Madrid.
The game was also notable  for an actual legit penalty won by Robben.

clarshack

Thought Bayern were well shafted tonight. The Vidal sending off was ridiculous.