European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

France weren't great at that World Cup.

Rossie11

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 14, 2017, 11:32:58 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on March 14, 2017, 10:50:43 PM
I'd have Maradona ahead of Ronaldo but it's absurd to suggest the Portuguese Ronaldo is anywhere near their level.

Nobody has came close to leaving an imprint on a major international tournament like Ronaldo did in France 98 and Japan/Korea 02 (to a lesser extent) since.

That's the pinnacle for me. Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have struggled to impact major international tournaments like greats such as Maradona, Baggio and Ronaldo have

Djimi Traore has more champs league/european cup medals than those 3 put together... legend

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Mike Tyson on March 15, 2017, 11:11:18 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on March 15, 2017, 10:24:06 AM
Just to point out, Zidane was booked in each of France's opening 2006 group games as they failed to beat Switzerland and South Korea. They only got out of the group stages by beating Togo in a game Zidane was suspended for.

He wasn't awarded man of the match in any game at that World Cup, and while he was decent in a couple of games, he was nowhere near as good as Ronaldo in 1998 or 2002.

This is not to denigrate Zidane's career, i think he was a wonderful footballer, but not on the same level as Ronaldo.

He was in the quarter final against Brazil and also won player of the tournament. The rest of the players must have been pure muck if he won it having only been decent in a few games.

Once again it's the subjective narrative that follows sport. If you're citing player of the tournament awards as a barometer forget it, anyone who knows anything about football knows Cannavaro was the best player at the 2006 World Cup, by a landslide distance. Zidane much like France 98 had a pretty mediocre tournament with the odd flash of magic. The best tournament Zidane ever played (by some distance) was Euro 2000 where he was consistently good and decisive for France, even then I would say it was upstaged by Totti at that tournament.

Look at Messi winning the best player at the last World Cup, he was anonymous in the knockout stage. Argentina scored 2 goals in 450 minutes of knockout football, Messi contributed an assist in it and was somehow deemed the best player at the tournament? Ridiculous. You had James Rodriguez who was consistently super for Colombia overlooked, the referee allowed Brazil to kick him off the pitch in that game.

Player of the tournaments are very often political choices.

Ronaldo much like Maradona and to a lesser extent Baggio has the performances to stand up to the scrutiny when it comes to major tournaments.

The Stallion

I would disagree regarding Messi. He has been very good at both of the laat World Cups albeit not scoring goals for fun.

Agree on 2000 being Zidane's best tournament though.

seafoid

Defences are much tighter these days.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2017, 08:29:42 PM
Defences are much tighter these days.
Not many tight defences on show in the Barcelona v PSG and Monaco v Man City games.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: The Stallion on March 15, 2017, 07:41:42 PM
I would disagree regarding Messi. He has been very good at both of the laat World Cups albeit not scoring goals for fun.

Agree on 2000 being Zidane's best tournament though.

He hasn't been good at World Cups, he's been very disappointing, particularly for a guy who is meant to be the best in the world.

It was the likes of Mascherano and Di Maria who were leading the charge for Argentina in 2014. Messi looks a completely different player outside the Barcelona, possession obsessed give and go football. I don't think he's half the player when the side isn't built around him, I'd be very interested to see how he would get should he ever leave his comfort zone.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 15, 2017, 07:01:31 PM
Just to point out, Zidane was booked in each of France's opening 2006 group games as they failed to beat Switzerland and South Korea. They only got out of the group stages by beating Togo in a game Zidane was suspended for.

He wasn't awarded man of the match in any game at that World Cup, and while he was decent in a couple of games, he was nowhere near as good as Ronaldo in 1998 or 2002.

This is not to denigrate Zidane's career, i think he was a wonderful footballer, but not on the same level as Ronaldo.

He was in the quarter final against Brazil and also won player of the tournament. The rest of the players must have been pure muck if he won it having only been decent in a few games.

Once again it's the subjective narrative that follows sport. If you're citing player of the tournament awards as a barometer forget it, anyone who knows anything about football knows Cannavaro was the best player at the 2006 World Cup, by a landslide distance. Zidane much like France 98 had a pretty mediocre tournament with the odd flash of magic. The best tournament Zidane ever played (by some distance) was Euro 2000 where he was consistently good and decisive for France, even then I would say it was upstaged by Totti at that tournament.

Look at Messi winning the best player at the last World Cup, he was anonymous in the knockout stage. Argentina scored 2 goals in 450 minutes of knockout football, Messi contributed an assist in it and was somehow deemed the best player at the tournament? Ridiculous. You had James Rodriguez who was consistently super for Colombia overlooked, the referee allowed Brazil to kick him off the pitch in that game.

Ronaldo much like Maradona and to a lesser extent Baggio has the performances to stand up to the scrutiny when it comes to major tournaments.

Whose scrutiny? I think that the best player I have seen in action is Zidane. Is that ok?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

The Stallion

imtommygunn

There is no real heart in that man city team. So much money and really not that much effort.

AZOffaly

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 15, 2017, 09:36:53 PM
There is no real heart in that man city team. So much money and really not that much effort.

Was just about to say the same thing. They had a bit of a go after half time, and Monaco were cat. Then as soon as they scored, they took the foot off the gas, and when Monaco scored again, they capitulated with 20 minutes left. That Sané lad seems a bit of a jennet.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 15, 2017, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 15, 2017, 07:01:31 PM

Whose scrutiny? I think that the best player I have seen in action is Zidane. Is that ok?

Proper analysis.

Captain Obvious

Monaco have a healthy habit for knocking English sides out of the champions league.

Boycey

You would have got wild long odds on Leicester being the last English team standing in the Champions League..

Maybe the fawning press will now get on Peps case too??

Cunny Funt

Main question to ask after that Man City defeat... Is Pep Guardiola a busted flush as a manager  ;)