European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 14, 2017, 10:19:37 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 14, 2017, 10:01:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2017, 03:13:04 PM
Anyone who would put Fat Ronaldo in ahead of Real Ronaldo needs a new pair of glasses.

Without doubt the most brainless comment ever on this forum.

The real Ronaldo was the Brazilian Ronaldo and he was the greatest footballer the world has ever seen.

After his knees went at Inter, he was probably 60-70% of the player he was before that and still the best in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S84vy_Zz2O0

Steady on.  You could argue he was the best in the world at that time but there were better before him and certainly better since. He wasn't even the best Brazilian ever ffs.

There certainly has not been anyone even near in his ballpark since. Maybe some people are too young or too ignorant to appreciate Ronaldo but I've never seen an era in football when one player was just so far ahead of everyone else and that era was the mid 90s with Ronaldo - it was a good generation of footballers too.

The only player that I've seen that was on his level was Maradona. Everyone else before and after was under it, he was a phenomenon, the only way to stop him was to kick him.

One particular performance that sticks out with me was the 98 UEFA Cup final with Lazio. Nesta was the best defender in the world at that time, he got ripped apart. Nesta was a very clean defender too, positionally perfect, precise tackler, pace - he just resorted to kicking Ronaldo that night, it's all he could do with him. A few years ago in his mid 30s and struggling with injuries, Nesta put Messi in his back pocket in a Champions League match.

The Stallion

I'd have Maradona ahead of Ronaldo but it's absurd to suggest the Portuguese Ronaldo is anywhere near their level.

BarryBreensBandage

Zidane was the best imo.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: The Stallion on March 14, 2017, 10:50:43 PM
I'd have Maradona ahead of Ronaldo but it's absurd to suggest the Portuguese Ronaldo is anywhere near their level.

Nobody has came close to leaving an imprint on a major international tournament like Ronaldo did in France 98 and Japan/Korea 02 (to a lesser extent) since.

That's the pinnacle for me. Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have struggled to impact major international tournaments like greats such as Maradona, Baggio and Ronaldo have

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 14, 2017, 11:30:39 PM
Zidane was the best imo.

Zidance was a flitting genius, he was capable of genius at any moment in time but for long parts of the game was completely dormant.

He was not constant like Ronaldo, where it was a case of get the ball to him at every opportunity when he was at his peak.

It's funny the way the narrative of tournaments can be rewritten. Zidane misses the majority of the tournament after getting sent off in the group stages and heroics by Thuram get France to a World Cup final. Zidane scores a couple of headers from two corners in the final and it's suddenly his tournament.

While a great player who had huge moments in his career, Zidane was always one of those style over substance players for me.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2017, 09:19:39 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 14, 2017, 09:16:52 PM
Nasri is some idiot.

Vardy is some shite bag too though.  He knew what he was doing. I never bought the romantic story with him. He's a sack.

Chat Shít Get Banged is a mantra more than a few GAABoard members live by, though..

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 14, 2017, 11:37:43 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 14, 2017, 11:30:39 PM
Zidane was the best imo.

Zidance was a flitting genius, he was capable of genius at any moment in time but for long parts of the game was completely dormant.

He was not constant like Ronaldo, where it was a case of get the ball to him at every opportunity when he was at his peak.

It's funny the way the narrative of tournaments can be rewritten. Zidane misses the majority of the tournament after getting sent off in the group stages and heroics by Thuram get France to a World Cup final. Zidane scores a couple of headers from two corners in the final and it's suddenly his tournament.

While a great player who had huge moments in his career, Zidane was always one of those style over substance players for me.

I disagree.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Mike Tyson

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 14, 2017, 11:32:58 PM

Nobody has came close to leaving an imprint on a major international tournament like Ronaldo did in France 98 and Japan/Korea 02 (to a lesser extent) since.

That's the pinnacle for me. Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have struggled to impact major international tournaments like greats such as Maradona, Baggio and Ronaldo have

Zidane 2006

laoislad

Quote from: Mike Tyson on March 15, 2017, 08:22:09 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 14, 2017, 11:32:58 PM

Zidane 2006
Gary Green 2002
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Stallion

Just to point out, Zidane was booked in each of France's opening 2006 group games as they failed to beat Switzerland and South Korea. They only got out of the group stages by beating Togo in a game Zidane was suspended for.

He wasn't awarded man of the match in any game at that World Cup, and while he was decent in a couple of games, he was nowhere near as good as Ronaldo in 1998 or 2002.

This is not to denigrate Zidane's career, i think he was a wonderful footballer, but not on the same level as Ronaldo.

seafoid

Zidane is also a great manager

Ronald McDonald is the best of the Ronaldos
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Stallion

Denn Forever

Juventus don't want to meet Leicester in the ECL according to Buffon.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39274973
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Mike Tyson

Quote from: The Stallion on March 15, 2017, 10:24:06 AM
Just to point out, Zidane was booked in each of France's opening 2006 group games as they failed to beat Switzerland and South Korea. They only got out of the group stages by beating Togo in a game Zidane was suspended for.

He wasn't awarded man of the match in any game at that World Cup, and while he was decent in a couple of games, he was nowhere near as good as Ronaldo in 1998 or 2002.

This is not to denigrate Zidane's career, i think he was a wonderful footballer, but not on the same level as Ronaldo.

He was in the quarter final against Brazil and also won player of the tournament. The rest of the players must have been pure muck if he won it having only been decent in a few games.

The Stallion

Apologies, you're quite right, he did get man of the match in one game. Overall he had a decent enough World Cup but he certainly wasn't outstanding by any means. He was well past his best by the time of that World Cup.