European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

It was at home. 0-0 at home in the first leg is fine.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 27, 2016, 02:24:03 PM
Much better than 1-1

I was at the 3rd division playoff between Man City and Gillingham in 99? and the city fans were singing "the only football team to come from Manchester" .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on April 27, 2016, 02:30:16 PM
Much better than 1-1

I was at the 3rd division playoff between Man City and Gillingham in 99? and the city fans were singing "the only football team to come from Manchester" .

And?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2016, 03:14:06 PM
Much better than 1-1

And now they are in the CL semi and Utd have the Glazers. A funny old world

And?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

HiMucker

Ah sorry I miss read that.  I thought he said Madrid got the result they played for.  Yeah I would always thought a 0-0 at home first leg was a good result. 

Boycey

Quote from: HiMucker on April 27, 2016, 03:29:46 PM
Ah sorry I miss read that.  I thought he said Madrid got the result they played for.  Yeah I would always thought a 0-0 at home first leg was a good result.

0-0 away from home in first leg is also a decent result?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on April 27, 2016, 03:25:13 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2016, 03:14:06 PM
Much better than 1-1

And now they are in the CL semi and Utd have the Glazers. A funny old world

And?

Their first semi......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Boycey on April 27, 2016, 03:50:44 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on April 27, 2016, 03:29:46 PM

0-0 away from home in first leg is also a decent result?

I actually question that. It's obviously a decent result in that you weren't beaten, and the tie is alive, but the fact that you didn't score away from home always puts you under a little more pressure. 1-1 is obviously way better than 0-0 for the away team.

Billys Boots

There was an interesting piece of research in the Guardian recently about whether it was time for the 'away goals rule' to be scrapped.  Must look for it. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

HiMucker

Yeah I despise the away goal rule.  The nil nil draw away from home first leg is particularly bad result, if it goes to extra time in the second leg.  I think that is an unfair punishment.  The away team has additional 30mins to score the away goal.  I always thought if it went to extra time the away goal should be scrapped.

It was first brought it in to make teams more adventurous playing away from home.  But is has had the opposite effect of making the home side more reserved.

muppet

Quote from: HiMucker on April 28, 2016, 09:28:04 AM
Yeah I despise the away goal rule.  The nil nil draw away from home first leg is particularly bad result, if it goes to extra time in the second leg.  I think that is an unfair punishment.  The away team has additional 30mins to score the away goal.  I always thought if it went to extra time the away goal should be scrapped.

It was first brought it in to make teams more adventurous playing away from home.  But is has had the opposite effect of making the home side more reserved.

The should follow the GAA and change the rules frequently and without warning or logic.

Any ideas?

If you don't fall down when a player tackles you should get some sort of bonus time in possession, maybe the next player isn't allow to tackle you for 4 steps?
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Here's the article - unlike as Elmo says, the GAA approach, it's a scientific analysis. 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/feb/28/arsene-wenger-away-goals-rule
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

laoislad

Quote from: HiMucker on April 28, 2016, 09:28:04 AM

I agree about scrapping away goals rule if the 2nd leg goes into extra time. I've always thought it was unfair on the home team.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Maroon Manc

I'd be delighted if the away goal was done away, can't think of the top of my head if United have ever benefited from it but definitely remember  going out because of it.

While we're at it what kind of logic is behind Real & City getting 2 days extra rest then Bayern & Atletico. Its ridiculous and gives Bayern an advantage considering they've a huge lead over 2nd place and can rest players whilst Atletico can't afford to rest too many given their level at the top.

Milltown Row2

Liverpool are shorter price to win whole competition (13/8 favs) than they are tonight.... 2/1 is a good price, they've scored away from home in most games, and dominated possession