Allianz Football League 2017 - Division 3

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 15, 2016, 02:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

So far Creedon has not set the world on fire, and worryingly our decline continues.   You don't get time in management another couple of losses and the confidence goes.  Players who were on your side are now back stabbing, whispers begin and your over before you start.  Creedon needs to get winning fast.   So far I see no comparable difference results wise in the last 3 managers, each one was brutal.   

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Tony on February 27, 2017, 10:17:56 AM
. Meanwhile, legend has it that Mick Lillis is still searching for a pitch to train on in Laois.

That is a little bit over snide for my liking. He didn't have the benefit of the Centre of Excellence for his Winter training. And I'd imagine the CB should be the ones finding a training base.

Also, I think some people here need to open their eyes to the fact that I'm sure Creedon wasn't alone in building Tipp football.
The fact is that guys who take on counties like Laois have at the very least a small whiff of "chance your arm journey man" manager.

Hopefully all turns out well. But I'd be fairly confident that Lillis took on the job for the most noble reasons. It didn't work out, but he put his hand up and got the job. He kept his powder dry and stepped aside quietly.
He doesn't deserve to be lampooned.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Laoiseabu

Tony , Corofin walked the all Ireland handy two years ago and gave st Vincent's a good going over playing proper football how has it changed. Teams are just trying to over complicate with systems and Laois are now doing the same and are not at the races. Creedon will not succeed in improving us due to the lack of talent and the bullshit brand of Egyptian football. Ohh and by the way Tony no I wouldn't go for the Laois job as I don't think much can be done with that pool of players. If I was to handpick a job it would be Cork or Galway , two young big strong teams that are sleeping giants of the game at the moment but with lots of potential. Another thing if you kept your six fowards in their foward positions the opposition backs wouldn't be as quick to run down the field as they have a man to mark. Quick ball into the fowards cuts out this bullshite and negates the blanket defence. Personally if I was Kingston I'd pull the plug and tell Creedon to go home. Creedon actually wants to run the ball down the field and get turn over instead of hitting our in my opinion only foward at the moment up to the mark. Kingston is unstoppable one on one so get the ball in quick so he has time and space one on one instead of walking the ball up the field and giving the opposition defenders time to get back honestly. If a properly coached Cork, Galway Tyrone Dublin Mayo Kerry got at this Laous team at the moment playing in this manner it would be frightening.

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on February 27, 2017, 07:01:27 PM
. Meanwhile, legend has it that Mick Lillis is still searching for a pitch to train on in Laois.

That is a little bit over snide for my liking. He didn't have the benefit of the Centre of Excellence for his Winter training. And I'd imagine the CB should be the ones finding a training base.

Also, I think some people here need to open their eyes to the fact that I'm sure Creedon wasn't alone in building Tipp football.
The fact is that guys who take on counties like Laois have at the very least a small whiff of "chance your arm journey man" manager.

Hopefully all turns out well. But I'd be fairly confident that Lillis took on the job for the most noble reasons. It didn't work out, but he put his hand up and got the job. He kept his powder dry and stepped aside quietly.
There's only one poster here who keeps bringing up Lillis. Take a look back.

There's a lot that could be said about last year but it should be left there once and for all. Creedon will be judged on his own merits, but trying to grind some Lillis axe against him is a dangerous game for that poster to play.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on February 27, 2017, 07:49:26 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on February 27, 2017, 07:01:27 PM

There's only one poster here who keeps bringing up Lillis. Take a look back.

There's a lot that could be said about last year but it should be left there once and for all. Creedon will be judged on his own merits, but trying to grind some Lillis axe against him is a dangerous game for that poster to play.

I still have a problem with some of what is being said. TIt didn't work and he left. The stuff about pitches is below the belt. Circumstances have changed and that's not his fault.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

High Fielder

Biggest problem as I see it is a real lack of defensive players. The only lad that I had confidence in in the last number of years was Healy. It's very hard to convert a player into being defensively minded, and even more so when he's not much cop as a footballer anyway. In my opinion, we are always going to be under pressure in the backs, and our hand is being forced into playing crazy systems. We're a poor team, that much is obvious, but you can't build a whole lot without a solid foundation. Our tackling in particular wouldn't be good enough in a top Minor game.

Tony

Quote from: Don Draper on February 26, 2017, 10:55:55 AM
Lillis was an abomination. Stop talking out your hole.

In diplomatic terms, really, Lillis just wasn't up to the standard required.

Anyway, lets be realistic - we do have an average enough side. If Creedon can get us giving 100% effort, staying in Div 3 and perhaps having 1/2 wins in Leinster / all ireland series, i'd be happy enough.

laoisboy

just wondering has the u16 laois football panel being named.see u15 and 14 named bit odd

joemamas

Quote from: Don Draper on February 27, 2017, 09:07:53 AM
Quote from: redsetanta on February 27, 2017, 09:04:06 AM
Aside from the deficiencies already mentioned we had our most influential player black carded and conceded an own goal.
That black card was a cunting disgrace.

Just caught highlights
Agree 100% with you
Pretty sure that was same Tipp player that was Black carded for a dive in semi -final v Mayo.
Tom Tom went ape shit in the commentary box
Said something like " it wasn't fair giving a black card to someone after eight minutes"

gaastats

First time Laois have lost to Tipp twice in a row since losing league matches in 1956 & 1972. Co-incidentally, both games were round 3 fixtures as well!

Laois then went unbeaten from then to June 2010, when Tipp beat us in the championship.

Unlaoised

My ratings for Saturday night

Again I stress these are only my opinions from being at the game and then watching it back on T.V(which didn't make great viewing I might add)

I appreciate what the players give and I don't mean to be anyway critical of them its just an opinion from this particular game.

I know the effort and commitment it takes to be there and they deserve ever credit for this despite results going against us at the minute.

Brody 7 - Very good kick outs made two excellent saves,one slight error where he went to bounce the ball on the muck and lost it which lead to a score but that came after a great take of a high ball.Excellent keeper and one of the plus points of the league so far.

Strong 5-Not a great day for Darren,did play some lovely balls forward with accurate foot passes and made the goal for Conway but kicked two into the keepers hands and failed to hold on to the ball which gave Tipp their only goal.Needs to improve tackling but so does everyone.

Booth 7-After a shaky opening he grew into the game and played well might have been different if Quinlivan had to have stayed on the field and pushed in on him but the Heath man can be happy with his nights work.

Kelly 8-After again a poor opening 15 minutes I thought the young man grew into the game,Sweeney did cause him problems but he does that to most corner backs and I thought he recovered well and had a fine second half.

Attride 6-found it hard to give the Killeshin man a mark he didn't do anything wrong and was on the ball a few times ,great ball carrier but need to see more defensively .In saying that he was harshly blown for a few fouls from a ref who got very involved as the game wore on.

Begley 7-Was decent in the first half when Laois were poor and scored a cracking point .Tackling was surprisingly poor as its usually his strong point.Probably best option for the number 6 role at the moment.Is certainly not lacking effort which some people accuse him of.

Buggie 5-Worked hard but his man Josh Keane got on a lot of ball ,he was poor in the tackle like so many Laois players .Will learn from this experience .Needs to toughen up for this level if he wants to make it in the half backs.Does get his head up well while on the ball which is a great trait to have going forward.

Luttrell 5-Had a decent spell in the first half when things were going against Laois ,Fetched two good balls and carried one well when he ran at Tipp. Lost possession too man times and got swallowed up by the Tipp midfield I thought he could have been replaced earlier as he was up and down all night on a very heavy pitch to his credit.

Ramsbottom 6-Put himself about and showed good composure on the ball.Did not tackle well which seems to be a recurring theme in this league.Ran out of steam but got his well deserved applause when subbed on 40 mins.Like his partner Luttrell his legs went from a lot of running.

O'Reilly 5-Nothing really came off for the Graigue man on Saturday night.Lost  possession very easily and kicked one silly ball into the keepers hands plus had a bad wide when Laois had a few options inside.Fouled too many times but did cover a lot of ground for the cause.He is honest as the days long and will have better days.

Conway 8 -Probably Laois's best player ,worked hard in the first half even against the tide.His passing into Paul and Donie was excellent and he got a great goal.Should have passed to Paul Kingston when he took his point that can be my only gripe.

Donoher 5-A poor game in a  Laois shirt is rare for Niall .His passing was very poor.Kicked one over the sideline and hand passed two balls straight to Tipp. Just one of those nights he  never stopped trying however and did kick a nice score in the first half.You can bet he won't have a bad game against Sligo!!

O'Loughlin 6-Hard to know what to give John was on a lot of ball did kick a good score but lost so many balls and slowed the play up.I wish he would stop taking balls one yard away from a lad when he is marked in a crowded area but he Never gave up and never stops looking for the ball.

Kingson 7-Again a shining light.Farce of a black card.Scored the point of the night in the first half and nearly had a great goal in the second.Made use of any good ball that went into him.Needs to up his work rate off the ball but hard to be critical of the man when it was never his game.

P.Kingston 6-Showed well in the first half but had two wides he would expect to pop over.Links well with Donie and is good at winning his own ball.I think he will improve and be a big player as the year progresses.He has the quality for this level in my opinion.

Subs
A Farrell 6-Got through a lot of work and showed good work rate while on the pitch decent man to stand up players and not foul he cleared one great ball off the line which would have killed Laois earlier.

E Lowry 5- Bit harsh as it was hard for him to get into the game especially when Donie got black carded.I like him as a player and I think he will shine in a game for Laois yet.

R O'Connor 5-Again hard to rate a man who got so little ball did well with what came into him and showed one lovely piece of Skill to hold on to possession that Laois should have got more from.

Finn 5-Thought they would play him inside as a direct replacement for Kingston as O'Loughlin was out on his feet at that stage.Did okay with the ball he got has a great long range kick pass.He Stopped Tipp running down the middle just by being physical and using his size.Should improve with more game time.

Munnelly 5-Didn't see much ball but what he did he used well.Looked in decent shape and made one great run along with Finn at one stage if Begely could have found them when breaking out.Was hoping he would take that last free just to get him on the scoreboard for the year.

Dillion 5-Again a harsh rating should have been on earlier in my opinion to run at Tipp when we were breaking as times in the second half as that's what he is good at.Must be close to pushing for a start I would think!He was excellent in the league this time last year.

We are bottom of Division three but I think we have probably played our three hardest games.

I fancied Louth to be strong this year and getting them early with so many missing was a tough ask.Armagh away was a great victory against all the odds and I think they will be in the shake up in a few weeks.

Tipperary are probably the best of the rest and will also be near the top at the end.

Sligo away is another hard game and it will shape the rest of the season.Sometimes we are better away from home it seems like that lately.

A win and your looking up with Antrim Longford and Offaly to play a defeat and its going to be helter skelter to stay up.

I believe we will improve to have so many injuries is hard on the management and the players especially the younger guys.

They players that will come back in will take time to get up to speed and I don't see them transforming it straight away .

Still come May if we have a team with a fit Timmons, Quigley,Meaney,Lillis,Damien O'Connor,O'Loughlin ,Meridth,Walsh etc it will make a big difference and make it so much easier for the likes of James Kelly Danny Luttrell and maybe a Sean Moore make an impact going forward.

Lads will say some of these lads are coming to the wrong side of 30 etc but if they are fit maybe a campaign with rest and not so many league games will benefit a few of the lads like Quigley and Timmons who have given so much down through  the years.

I remember Pauric Clancy coming back late in the league in his latter years and going on to have a great Summer for a couple of seasons.

I'm ever the optimist which doesn't go down well sometimes in this county.

I'm clever enough to know we haven't the quality of the bigger teams like Dublin Kerry Mayo Tyrone Monaghan and Donegal and are probably some way behind the likes of Galway Roscommon and Cavan .

I still think we are every bit as good with a full side as the likes of Kildare,Derry ,Down,Armagh,Tipperary Clare etc and on any given day we could beat them.

I wish the players well as we go to Markievicz Park on Sunday for a 2.30pm throw in .

I hope to be there to see how they get on.
LAOIS ABÚ

ILikeStrawberryJam

Didnt see the match on Saturday but someone put it up on YouTube.

Played reasonably well in the first half. Went 6 -1 down and fought back well. Should have gone in a few up at half time

2nd half was a bit of a mess. The younger lads faded and we started to run into dead ends.

It looked like a first choice tipp team against half a laois team. They were marginally better.

I feel when the experienced players return, it will take the pressure of the younger lads.

I think we will survive in the division. Would like to see dillon and farrell start the next day.

Its been a tough start for creedon with such a ridiculous injury list.

I think we will improve e as the league rolls on...

Sligo will be a dogfight though .. need a fitter JOL, meaney,dillon, lillis back to get a result..

justinn

Im hearing Conor Merdith wont be involved this year.

Unlaoised

Quote from: justinn on March 01, 2017, 10:20:01 AM
Im hearing Conor Merdith wont be involved this year.

I heard different that he will be back but not until the end of the league!
LAOIS ABÚ