All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

McKeever blow for Armagh
29 June 2016

Armagh must plan without their influential captain Ciaran McKeever for their refixed All-Ireland SFC qualifier clash against Laois.

The O'Moore County had recorded a 1-10 to 0-10 win over the Ulster side when they met a fortnight ago, but Laois used seven substitutes when they introduced Shane Murphy for Brendan Quigley who had received a black card.

Croke Park ruled that the game would be played again and it has been fixed for Portlaoise this Saturday afternoon.

However, Kieran McGeeney must plan without the experienced McKeever who suffered a broken foot while playing for his club.

Also on the injured list are James Morgan and Mark Shields, while it is unclear if some of the younger players on the squad will be available as some were supposed to head to Euro 2016 in France last week and the States for the summer.

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 30, 2016, 11:40:22 AM
No need for that  Dave, why do they become f***ers after we break the rules. They didn't break them, we did so live with it.
I don't like it no more than anyone else but you can't lay the blame on Armagh and start insulting them because you're mad with our management and the officials.
I think we were the better team last day and there should be no reason that we can't go and win this one again but lets win it on the field by playing better football and respecting our opponents,
Don't be letting yourself and Laois down by throwing out insulting comments like that please...

meh

drici

Haven't seen anything apart from this.

CLG Laois
21 June at 12:17 ·

Further to All Ireland Qualifier Laois v Armagh last weekend, CCCC following an investigation arising from Referees Report has proposed that this game is to be replayed, at a venue and date to be confirmed. The investigation has found that Laois to be in breach of Rule 6.44, in that they exceeded the number of substitutes permitted. Laois GAA following a Management Meeting this evening has decided to accept the proposed penalty.
https://www.facebook.com/CLGLaois/posts/994488944004838

Don Draper

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on July 01, 2016, 07:17:38 AM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 30, 2016, 11:40:22 AM
No need for that  Dave, why do they become f***ers after we break the rules. They didn't break them, we did so live with it.
I don't like it no more than anyone else but you can't lay the blame on Armagh and start insulting them because you're mad with our management and the officials.
I think we were the better team last day and there should be no reason that we can't go and win this one again but lets win it on the field by playing better football and respecting our opponents,
Don't be letting yourself and Laois down by throwing out insulting comments like that please...

meh
Agreed.

Also, McKeever is no loss for them, in fact his loss could improve them, he's a dreadful footballer, just awful. Laois by 3.

Tony

It'd be a real kick in the back side if we lost after being the better team the first day. What a poor way to exit the championship if so. Therefore I really hope we snuff out the Armagh threat from the start. If they get a run on us, it will be a long, long day. The team sheets and positions on the day will be interesting. McGeeney likely to have plenty of tactics to counteract us. Really hope we have a plan B if it's going wrong. Last day we looked good in 2nd half as we got the lead and Armagh were always chasing us. If it's the opposite, and we're chasing by 3 -5 with 25 mins left, it will take a lot to come back. That's where proper tactics come in, not "hail mary" tactics. Hopfully Cunningham is still knocking around.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois football manager Mick Lillis has named the same 15 players to start that he named ahead of the recent win over Armagh for tomorrow's re-fixture at O'Moore Park.

Gearoid Hanrahan came in for Gareth Dillon ahead of throw in two weeks ago while John O'Loughlin is expected to play tomorrow after serving his one game suspension.

The team named for tomorrow's 3pm throw in is:

1. Graham Brody (Portlaoise)
2. Stephen Attride (Killeshin)
3. Mark Timmons (Graiguecullen)
4. Damien O'Connor (Timahoe)
5. Darren Strong (Emo)
6. Kieran Lillis (Portlaoise)
7. Gareth Dillon (Portlaoise)
8. Brendan Quigley (Timahoe)
9. Kevin Meaney (Arles-Kilcruise)
10. Niall Donoher (Courtwood)
11. Paul Cahillane (Portlaoise)
12. Colm Begley (Stradbally)
13. Conor Meredith (O'Dempsey's)
14. Donal Kingston (Arles-Killeen)
15. David Conway (Arles-Kilcruise)

Armagh manager Kieran McGeeney has made two changes for tomorrow's All-Ireland Football Qualifier refixture against Laois at O'Moore Park.

Sean Connell and Stephen Sheridan come in for Mark Shields and Ciaran McKeever.

With McKeever missing out due a broken foot, the side will be captained by Aidan Forker.

1. Patrick Morrison (Cláirsigh Ard Mhacha)
2. Shea Heffron (Clann Éireann)
3. Brendan Donaghy (An Chluain Mhór)
4. Joe McElroy (Cláirsigh Ard Mhacha)
5. Seán Connell (Coilleach Eanach)
6. Andy Mallon (Na Pairnéil)
7. Stephen Sheridan (Foirceal)
8. Charlie Vernon (Cláirsigh Ard Mhacha)
9. Aaron Findon (Naomh Peadar)
10. Tony Kernan (Raonaithe na Croise)
11. Rory Grugan (Baile Mhic An Aba)
12. Aidan Forker (c) (Machaire)
13. Niall Grimley (Na Madáin)
14. Stefan Campbell (Clann na nGael)
15. Miceal McKenna (An Ghráinseach)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Joeythelips

Listening to it on the net, 7 point lead at half time, sounds like Armagh are not up for this at all. Still Laois can only beat whats in front of them (again). The extra game means Cunningham's influence on the squad is improving with each game. County board should be looking to tie him down for a couple of years before other counties come calling in the autumn.

Looks like i may have spoken too soon, Laois need to wake up here.

Joeythelips

Hard to know what to make of that listening online, would have been a seriously damaging defeat after the half time scoreline. On the plus side its good that they were able to pull the win out of the fire once the tide had turned in the second half.

Anyone at it lads? was it as bad as it sounded?

The Boy Wonder

Phew - should have been done and dusted at half-time and almost a nightmare in the end.
While our defence has vastly improved we have a huge problem converting possession into scores.
For now it's just a relief to get over Armagh after the CCCC farce.

PS
Great to see an improved Laois crowd today and great vocal support.

The Monument Road

Is round 2 on saturday or sunday next....hopefully saturday and make a night out of it

theoldvet

What the hell is wrong with Kingston ?

Butch Cassidy

Kingston had 2/3 lads on him. Great character shown by the team. The fear was it would be another Antrim shocker but the manner in the way the lads pulled through should give them confidence for next Sunday.

Finden get a red for sledging?

Good atmosphere in the end, hopefully both players and support can build on it.

Giovanni

This was an atrocious display from our lads in my opinion. If they play like that next weekend, Clare will beat them handily. We very nearly had to "take our medicine" against the worst Armagh team for years.

I don't understand what's going on with the fitness regime but most of them looked like they were past it. It's hard for me to understand how 14 men were able to live with super fit Dublin a few weeks ago and today look like they're hardly able to move (with a few notable exceptions).

I thought the injustice of last week might drive them to being completely ruthless today. But they weren't. The tackling was again half-hearted, runners not tracked (or tracked 10 yards behind), poor passing (often under no pressure).

The backs did reasonably well in the first 15 minutes but in truth there might have only been a point or two in it at half time if Armagh had a few players.  Some of our own shooting was nearly as bad.

A huge disappointment for me.

Faugheen

Quote from: theoldvet on July 02, 2016, 06:38:48 PM
What the hell is wrong with Kingston ?
He hasn't been right for a while now, would have taken him off before David Conway. We cannot afford the luxury of keeping him on the field when he is not performing.

BallyroanAbu

They are not performing, Dublin pulled up against us.