Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Quote from: Louther on April 07, 2021, 11:31:25 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on April 07, 2021, 11:28:19 AM
Quote from: Louther on April 07, 2021, 11:02:42 AM
I see the Times reporting that SF TD has settled a claim against RTE and Liveline for in excess of €150,000 for some comments made on air. Don't seem to be anyone able to report what the comments where. TD was Donnchadh O Laoghaire.

Wonder will he put the funds into party coffers?

Hope the fella has recovered from what was side that hurt him so much.

I hope you are equally concerned for Pascal O'Donoghue, that he will make a full and speedy recovery from his trauma. It was just last week that Paschal demanded RTÉ apologise for simply referencing in an interview that FG introduced VAT on childrens shoes in 1982. And believe it or not, RTÉ did swiftly apologise, both to him and to Fine Gael. Interesting precedent - I wonder will RTÉ presenters no longer ask Sinn Féin about events of 40 years ago too.

Did he sue or accept what was said and move on like a grown adult? Was childish even looking an apology on a trivial comment that he should have addressed when he answered.

I don't think you can sue anybody for stating that FG introduced VAT on children's shoes in 1982 because it's just a statement of fact. And the fact that he demanded an apology from RTÉ for making a statement of fact suggests he didn't react to the comment like a grown adult.

Angelo

I see the Times reporting that SF TD has settled a claim against RTE and Liveline for in excess of €150,000 for some comments made on air. Don't seem to be anyone able to report what the comments where. TD was Donnchadh O Laoghaire.

I hope you are equally concerned for Pascal O'Donoghue, that he will make a full and speedy recovery from his trauma. It was just last week that Paschal demanded RTÉ apologise for simply referencing in an interview that FG introduced VAT on childrens shoes in 1982. And believe it or not, RTÉ did swiftly apologise, both to him and to Fine Gael. Interesting precedent - I wonder will RTÉ presenters no longer ask Sinn Féin about events of 40 years ago too.

Did he sue or accept what was said and move on like a grown adult? Was childish even looking an apology on a trivial comment that he should have addressed when he answered.

Sue someone for stating a fact?

The big issue here is that the taxpayer is being left footing a bill due to the gross negligence from Joe Duffy. Surely RTE should be sacking him?

He has a history of defamatory comments against SF representatives that leave him and his employer open to legal proceedings.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on April 07, 2021, 11:58:06 AM

The big issue here is that the taxpayer is being left footing a bill due to the gross negligence from Joe Duffy. Surely RTE should be sacking him?

He has a history of defamatory comments against SF representatives that leave him and his employer open to legal proceedings.

What was said? Was it Joe Duffy that said it or a caller/guest on the show? How do you know it was gross negligence?

You stated a fact here last week that was wrong and then said you didn't know if it was right or wrong but stayed it twice anyway. Happens a lot with you.

This is another example of the SF talking out of two sides of their mouths. We'll have Pierce Doherty standing up talking about Insurance reform and reducing pay outs and then across the room you've a colleague running off to the courts to sue someone for something that no one even recalls what was said and for a substantial payout way above his annual salary. How damaged was he really?

All politicians should grow a pair.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on April 07, 2021, 12:11:13 PM

What was said? Was it Joe Duffy that said it or a caller/guest on the show? How do you know it was gross negligence?

You stated a fact here last week that was wrong and then said you didn't know if it was right or wrong but stayed it twice anyway. Happens a lot with you.

This is another example of the SF talking out of two sides of their mouths. We'll have Pierce Doherty standing up talking about Insurance reform and reducing pay outs and then across the room you've a colleague running off to the courts to sue someone for something that no one even recalls what was said and for a substantial payout way above his annual salary. How damaged was he really?

Because RTE have said they had little chance of defending the allegations. Why haven't they sanctioned or dismissed Joe Duffy?

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on April 07, 2021, 12:15:32 PM

Because RTE have said they had little chance of defending the allegations. Why haven't they sanctioned or dismissed Joe Duffy?

Again, what did Joe Duffy say? It was his show but I don't know if it was him or who said what? Only last week Prime Time paid out a defamation claim to another Republican Party over a comment a guest made about them. It was actually your buddy who you get your facts from, John McGuirk of Gript who said it and cost RTE the payout.

So, again, what was said? By who? Before you start calling for heads.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on April 07, 2021, 12:26:07 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 07, 2021, 12:15:32 PM

Again, what did Joe Duffy say? It was his show but I don't know if it was him or who said what? Only last week Prime Time paid out a defamation claim to another Republican Party over a comment a guest made about them. It was actually your buddy who you get your facts from, John McGuirk of Gript who said it and cost RTE the payout.

So, again, what was said? By who? Before you start calling for heads.

Woah,

You're the Gript subscriber here. It seems that you keep wanting to make false allegations at me over and over again when you're the only one who had admitted to reading what far right editorials say.

So let's be clear on this, don't make allegations against me you can't back up.

Joe Duffy defamed DOL. RTE said they had little chance of defending the alllegations and paid out. They also had to payout in a similar manner to Aengus O'Snodaigh after Joe Duffy claimed he had been charged criminally. You see a pattern emerges here where RTE are routinely making false charges against a political party and the tax payer has to foot the bill.

What I'd like to know is why an employee, a very highly paid one, is being allowed to defame people live on air and have the taxpayer foot the bill and not face any person sanction or disciplinary procedures himself.

There is a very worrying culture from RTE where they run damaging stories on a particular political party without verifying the allegations and charges they make on them. Miriam O'Callaghan has a track record in doing this. Gerry Adams could easily have taken legal actions against RTE on numerous occasions. I think this is what it has come to, SF TDs are now deciding to pursue legal avenues to tackle the state broadcaster abusing it's position to pedal political propaganda.

And of course, you defend a highly paid state employee costing the state hundreds of thousands through gross negligence and incompetence.

Louther

You stated a story as fact, twice, that was incorrect and the only place that carried such a story was Gript. You then were exposed and try to pass it off as you not knowing if what you said was right or not and couldn't say why you said such a thing. So you either got the story from Gript or you just make up stuff to fit your agenda. Which is it?

A bluffer of the highest order. You got your story from Gript or you're a lair. Take your pick.

There was no payout to Aengus O'Snodaigh. He accepted a public apology in the air for something that was said and then corrected minutes later in air.

And if you knew anything you'd know Joe Duffy isn't an employee of RTE. He a contractor. They mightn't be able to sack him but they can cut his contract or not renew.

Snapchap

What exactly is your point re this story, Louther? Legal settlements regularly include confidentiality clauses, so there's no issue with either party not talking about the details. So is your gripe with Donnchadh O Laoghaire for having challenged RTÉ in the first place? Are you advocating that a state media organisation should be permitted to make slanderous comments against people at will and should be free from the threat of being challenged on it?

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on April 07, 2021, 12:52:33 PM
You stated a story as fact, twice, that was incorrect and the only place that carried such a story was Gript. You then were exposed and try to pass it off as you not knowing if what you said was right or not and couldn't say why you said such a thing. So you either got the story from Gript or you just make up stuff to fit your agenda. Which is it?

A bluffer of the highest order. You got your story from Gript or you're a lair. Take your pick.

There was no payout to Aengus O'Snodaigh. He accepted a public apology in the air for something that was said and then corrected minutes later in air.

And if you knew anything you'd know Joe Duffy isn't an employee of RTE. He a contractor. They mightn't be able to sack him but they can cut his contract or not renew.

Excuse, what part of the story was incorrect? That I said it was her brother rather than her uncle. An odd thing for you to get upset about before you then made unfounded allegations against me, which you have continued to make after it was revealed that it is you in fact who is the subscriber to far right editorials.

It's alarming the type of things that trigger you.

My story is not from Gript. You seem to have taken issue with me mixing her uncle for her brother - a very serious mix up.

We have a highly paid state employee, who has now cost the state a 6 figure sum due to his gross incompetence/negligence. This is not the first time he has defamed a SF representative on live air. I'd like to know what action RTE are taking against him.

If you knew anything about anything you'd know Revenue have recently clamped down on those who RTE contract work to as it was tax avoidance scheme.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/rte-offers-staff-contracts-to-81-freelancers-and-self-employed-contractors-after-revenue-raised-concerns-40155710.html

Be very interesting to see if Duffy was one of them. They should not renew his contract but I think that RTE are quite happy to pedal a political agenda funded by the tax payer and carried out by worthless, overpaid shills.

Angelo

Quote from: Snapchap on April 07, 2021, 01:02:44 PM
What exactly is your point re this story, Louther? Legal settlements regularly include confidentiality clauses, so there's no issue with either party not talking about the details. So is your gripe with Donnchadh O Laoghaire for having challenged RTÉ in the first place? Are you advocating that a state media organisation should be permitted to make slanderous comments against people at will and should be free from the threat of being challenged on it?

That seems to be what he is arguing alright.

Louther

I'll tell you what I think.

RTE or any media organisation should operate with the laws and be held accountable. That's a given. No excuse and in a lot of cases they get pulled and corrected.

In this case a sitting TD has pulled in a substantial payment. Obviously something was said. By who or what we don't know as it didn't cause a ripple at the time. It wasn't a reported story and caused any outrage. In July the story broke of the court proceedings and again, was little known of what was said. Now it has been settled and weeks later it has come out of the payment. As of yet, there hasn't been an official apology by RTE or Joe Duffy. It seems the TD was after the money and not interested in a public apology to clear his defamed name. Maybe that will come but it's fairly standard in such places.

I think the most important thing is to hold the state broadcaster to account and correct what they have said. From a TD this should be main driver of getting the record corrected. Not a six figure pay out for something that never caused a ripple.

Secondly, I expected the normal flood of usual suspects defending SF and them not having a clue what's it about. They mad keen to hold RTE to account when it harms them, yet last week it was the devil for trying to protect itself from similar happening again when Joe Brolly wanted to talk without been checked.

Finally, back to the money. SF like to talk about state money, insurance reform and be seen handing back money in pay increases. But here we have a TD happy to pursue state money and take the money and run. Maybe it'll go to party funds or to charity but if this was settled a number of weeks back, why no formal apology and statement as to where the funds are going?

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on April 07, 2021, 01:46:14 PM

Secondly, I expected the normal flood of usual suspects defending SF and them not having a clue what's it about. They mad keen to hold RTE to account when it harms them, yet last week it was the devil for trying to protect itself from similar happening again when Joe Brolly wanted to talk without been checked.

This is a bizarre point. The double standards is RTE are willing to facilitate and allow defamatory and unfounded allegations against SF without challenge yet when completely fair and correct points are made against the DUP by Joe Brolly, he is cut off. Can you explain why pointing out those double standards triggers you?

They allow Leo Varadkar talk unchecked, unchallenged about protestant members in SF and refer to them as a sectarian party - it was incorrect statement that was allowed go unchallenged yet they cut off Joe Brolly for fully verifiable comments on the DUP.

You're the one defending double standards here. RTE routinely allow unfounded allegations be made against SF but police and censor fair comments made against other political parties and representatives.

My issue is why is the person (Joe Duffy) not sanctioned for these comments. It's seems RTE are willing to facilitate a political agenda if they can get away with it and refuse to discipline their staff when they get found out on it. Where is the directive coming from?

Your post up there is just laughable hypocrisy.

Louther

SF are the party of double standards FFS, they couldn't even hold the same line on the abortion issue in the North and played the cowards card and sat out of the vote.

Constantly flipping on both sides of the border.

Snapchap

RTE or any media organisation should operate with the laws and be held accountable. That's a given. No excuse and in a lot of cases they get pulled and corrected.
Except that you go on to make a specific complaint about that very accountability process having been played out in the case of a SF member.

In this case a sitting TD has pulled in a substantial payment. Obviously something was said. By who or what we don't know as it didn't cause a ripple at the time. It wasn't a reported story and caused any outrage. In July the story broke of the court proceedings and again, was little known of what was said. Now it has been settled and weeks later it has come out of the payment. As of yet, there hasn't been an official apology by RTE or Joe Duffy. It seems the TD was after the money and not interested in a public apology to clear his defamed name. Maybe that will come but it's fairly standard in such places.

I think the most important thing is to hold the state broadcaster to account and correct what they have said. From a TD this should be main driver of getting the record corrected. Not a six figure pay out for something that never caused a ripple.
How do you know his motivation was financial? Perhaps a confidentiality agreement prohibits any apology giving specifics of the case, and perhaps a commitment from RTÉ that it cannot and will not say whatever it was that was said, ever again, and that this is the main motivator. Besides, even if his motives were financial (and you have no idea what he might intend to do with the money (it's not unusual for charities to benefit from such settlements for instance), it doesn't really matter, because if anyone, TD or otherwise, is slandered by the state broadcaster, they are perfectly entitled to challenge it, regardless of how important a potential payout is for them.

And how disappointing that there hasn't been any such "flood" of messages defending SF. Only two posters (myself included) have discussed it with you, and I for one am not discussing it in terms of SF. You're the only one who seems to be interested in the story due to the SF aspect. I'm discussing it in terms of the rights and wrongs of slanderous comments being made by a state broadcaster. I don't care what party you belong to or what your motivations are - if the state broadcaster slanders you, they ought to be taken to task. I find it revealing, that in this story, where a person was slandered by the RTÉ, your reaction is to fixate your criticise upon the victim of the slander.

Finally, back to the money. SF like to talk about state money, insurance reform and be seen handing back money in pay increases. But here we have a TD happy to pursue state money and take the money and run. Maybe it'll go to party funds or to charity but if this was settled a number of weeks back, why no formal apology and statement as to where the funds are going?
Possibly because it's is absolutely none of your business where the funds going. Nobody who settles a dispute out of court is under any obligation to tell you or me what they do with the money.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on April 07, 2021, 02:04:22 PM
SF are the party of double standards FFS, they couldn't even hold the same line on the abortion issue in the North and played the cowards card and sat out of the vote.

Constantly flipping on both sides of the border.

You're the one here justifying double standards.

I take it you're too stupid to actually realise the web of contradictions you've spun for yourself.