Accountants!

Started by RedHand88, August 10, 2023, 09:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Any accountants here? In particular ones with experience in cross border tax returns? Have a quesiton...

I understand that tax paid to Revenue is used to offset tax paid to HMRC as part of self assessment. What I can't figure out however is which of the following is true...

A) The amount of tax paid to Revenue is deducted from declared southern income in your HMRC self assessment, in the same way that expenses would be. For example, 5k euro tax paid at source on 20k euro of income.. So in this case, you would have to pay UK tax on 15k euro earnings.
B) The amount of tax paid to Revenue is deducted from your final UK HMRC self assessment bill.

Obviously, scenario B is much better, but the guidance seems vague and I can't figure out which of the above statements is true. Basically I need to know if tax paid to Irish Revenue is considered an "expense" or is it taken off your final HMRC tax bill? Can anyone shed any light?

stiffler

Not a tax expert but believe there's a double tax agreement between Britain and Ireland.

You declare your gross income in your hmrc return, and enter the Revenue tax deducted figure.

The tax paid to the Revenue will be deducted from your HMRC tax liability to leave you a balance (or refund) due.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Mourne Red

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 10, 2023, 09:04:16 PM
Any accountants here? In particular ones with experience in cross border tax returns? Have a quesiton...

I understand that tax paid to Revenue is used to offset tax paid to HMRC as part of self assessment. What I can't figure out however is which of the following is true...

A) The amount of tax paid to Revenue is deducted from declared southern income in your HMRC self assessment, in the same way that expenses would be. For example, 5k euro tax paid at source on 20k euro of income.. So in this case, you would have to pay UK tax on 15k euro earnings.
B) The amount of tax paid to Revenue is deducted from your final UK HMRC self assessment bill.

Obviously, scenario B is much better, but the guidance seems vague and I can't figure out which of the above statements is true. Basically I need to know if tax paid to Irish Revenue is considered an "expense" or is it taken off your final HMRC tax bill? Can anyone shed any light?

Scenario B is correct RedHand.. Fiancée is a tax advisor and sent her your question. What Stiffler said is what happens. Tax paid to South tax man is deducted from your HMRC tax liability and then you pay the balance if there is any that's left

RedHand88

Excellent news chaps, thanks!

pbat

Another one for you's folks,  that if you stamp your card in the south for 10 years your entitled to a full pension on retirement. I've heard this on the sites many a time but never had anyone actually confirm its right.

armaghniac

Quote from: pbat on August 10, 2023, 10:41:40 PM
Another one for you's folks,  that if you stamp your card in the south for 10 years your entitled to a full pension on retirement. I've heard this on the sites many a time but never had anyone actually confirm its right.

If you have 10 years then you will get a pension, but likely only a half pension if that is all you have
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/older-and-retired-people/state-pension-contributory/
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Years ago a government job scheme paid organisations to give people jobs. So we hired people just to make up the numbers i.e. reach our headcount target.

So I was chatting to one of the pretty ones and being blunt as a blunt thing I says to her "I hear you you're just here to make up the numbers?"

Says she "Yes, I'm your new accountant"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians