Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 04, 2010, 08:25:48 PM
MArk Sidebottom hadn't one last Sat evening. Very surprised, i thought in was compulsory there. Remember Donna Trainor a few years back refused and got into a handling. She definately had one on today.
Sidearse was reporting from the NI Supporters Club on the Shankill this week. I wonder did he wear one there.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 04, 2010, 04:41:51 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM
This time of year Poppies go on sale. Some people buy them so as to donate money to the british security forces, while others buy them to wear as a visible badge of loyalty.
I shall be buying one on the off-chance (no matter how remote) that I might bump into "Pints of Guinness" and be able to 'rub his face in it':
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=17732.0

Though I also like to think it honours the boys/bhoys of the Royal Irish out in Helmand, too:

Meanwhile, I see those pesky (Far) West Brits out in Canada are wearing them, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo

And so as not to be left out, the West Frogs are in on it, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcjnqM6KQsQ&feature=related

I don't like that because it gives the impression the Republic is involved. I wouldn't mind so much if Irish Army troops where fighting alongside British Army ones, but Ireland is not involved militarly in Afganistan.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Puckoon

Myles Na G.

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 05, 2010, 02:11:10 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on November 04, 2010, 04:41:51 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM
This time of year Poppies go on sale. Some people buy them so as to donate money to the british security forces, while others buy them to wear as a visible badge of loyalty.
I shall be buying one on the off-chance (no matter how remote) that I might bump into "Pints of Guinness" and be able to 'rub his face in it':
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=17732.0

Though I also like to think it honours the boys/bhoys of the Royal Irish out in Helmand, too:

Meanwhile, I see those pesky (Far) West Brits out in Canada are wearing them, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo

And so as not to be left out, the West Frogs are in on it, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcjnqM6KQsQ&feature=related

I don't like that because it gives the impression the Republic is involved. I wouldn't mind so much if Irish Army troops where fighting alongside British Army ones, but Ireland is not involved militarly in Afganistan.
If EG's right, then Lashkar Gah Celtic supporters are probably pissed off too.

omagh_gael

It was quite clearly the soldier on the right who hung up the tricolour. Obviously one of his RIR colleagues (off camera) has his gun trained on him for this act and your man has subsequently surrendered! He also done this all wthout a head, remarkable! ;)

aontroim

That photo has US Army troops in it - where did it come from?

Main Street

Isn't it great that those troops in the photo above, can engage in R&R and take heart from all the poppy support back home while they participate in the war of occupation in Afghanistan, to keep Britain safe.
The kill 'any muslim will do' campaign scored a direct hit on 20 civilians in Helmand last month. 

Not a great return considering all the investment, but better than the 18 killed the week before after a direct hit on a homestead. On scale of human value, an Afghani is about the same as a rat.

thejuice

Aye, As someone living in England and while some of my colleagues wear them, I would never wear one. Even if half the British army was made up of Irish men I still would never wear it. To do so, I feel, for me would be legitimising in my own heart at least, the illegal oil wars in the middle east. While I recognise that our society would crumble with out cheap oil and gas I dont think any of us consented to the invasion of other countries to acquire it.  But then again they don't need our consent all they need is those that give up their lives in blind faith. I will not willingly give one penny, cent nor the lint in my pocket to the soldiers of the invading forces, when the real victims are the people of Iraq and Afghanistan.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dougal Maguire

There's a huge irony with people on the BBC being forced to wear them. Surely the whole thing about WW1 and 2 was the fight for freedom. Can't see how forcing someone to do something squares up with that.

The other thing that really grinds my gears is people wearing them on their jumper or shirt or blouse when they're in work. This happens quite a lot in the public sector and is uncalled for. Surely the place to wear it is on your outdoor jacket and not about your person at all times.
Careful now

muppet

Surely watching the British Broadcasting Corporation and then giving out about it's 'Britishness' is like drinking saltwater and giving out about its saltiness. And then doing it over and over again.
MWWSI 2017

Don Johnson

Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2010, 09:42:27 PM
Surely watching the British Broadcasting Corporation and then giving out about it's 'Britishness' is like drinking saltwater and giving out about its saltiness. And then doing it over and over again.
To add to that analogy, some people can either drink salt water or not drink at all.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thejuice on November 05, 2010, 02:47:31 PM
Aye, As someone living in England and while some of my colleagues wear them, I would never wear one. Even if half the British army was made up of Irish men I still would never wear it. To do so, I feel, for me would be legitimising in my own heart at least, the illegal oil wars in the middle east. While I recognise that our society would crumble with out cheap oil and gas I dont think any of us consented to the invasion of other countries to acquire it.  But then again they don't need our consent all they need is those that give up their lives in blind faith. I will not willingly give one penny, cent nor the lint in my pocket to the soldiers of the invading forces, when the real victims are the people of Iraq and Afghanistan.
Taxpayer in England are you?

Nally Stand

Quote from: thejuice on November 05, 2010, 02:47:31 PM

You needn't go as far as the middle east to find victims of the british army!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2010, 09:42:27 PM

I think you missed the point. Nobody is complaining about the BBC's Britishness, rather they're complaining about the fact that people appearing on the media are being forced to wear a poppy.
Careful now

thejuice

re:tonyb
Everyone pays taxes. And i can only change how my taxes are spent by my democratic vote and through protest. Did you pay taxes to britain during the troubles? Did that make your objections any less legitimate?
Re nally stand
Indeed.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016