Ulster U21 Football Championship 2010

Started by AFS, January 15, 2010, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

saw this result coming - like many others i didnt have any confidence in the management team. with the players tyrone have at u-21 level theres no way that they should be getting beat at home by 7 points by anybody.

imtommygunn

Was this the derry team that got to the all ireland minor final?

is gavin mcgeehan playing or he still injured?

Tyrone Dreamer

Shocking performance from Tyrone. Hard to take any positives from. This has to be the end of the u21 management, they've had enough chances at this stage. Screen the Tyrone boy was trying to get up and the player on the ground had a hold of his jersey. Most of the second half was taken up by Derry injuries, definately in the last few minutes there was a lot of acting going on. Much deserved to win though.

whiskeysteve

great to rack up 1-14 in the end up, totally dominated the final 15 minutes. I would echo everything screenexile said about the game also

The tyrone defence in particular collapsed in final 10 when they began to push up the field en masse and leave loads of space for the Derry forwards. After this Kielt and O'Boyle picked out men at will and the inside men (who had the beating of their markers all game) really ran riot. Derry also cleared up at midfield at this point with no one to match O'Boyle and Kielts fielding.

The way the tyrone half back line pushed up the field leaving acres of space for the counter, in light of how the Derry FF line had the beating of their men all night was strange, suicidal tactics (no Tyrone forwards tracked back effectively either at this stage).

Very impressed by Derry no.13, was this a Claudy fella Kerrigan?

Tommygunn, McGeehan was on the bench but didnt get on, maybe hes injured? All the same the FF line were v good. Shows the strength of the panel. With Deccy Mullan still to slot in at wing forward when he gets over his injury this team can really make an impact.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

DennistheMenace

Derry deserved to win and they did, quite easily in the end.

O'Boyle was superb and was my motm, thought number 5 was excellent too (Nevin) and Moore had great movement up front. Heard much about several of Tyrone players and they looked very ordinary for one reason or another tonight, no real nastiness in the game though and thought the ref did a decent job.

McGeehan was on the panel but not sub I believe.

tyrone86

As per usual, the old tinted specs come on the lads from the border areas and just winning doesn't seem to be enough, the mandatory bit of slabbering has to be done as well.

Derry were absolutely outstanding tonight and if they'd had won by 15 points there could have been no complaints. O'Boyle was indeed MOTM, ran the show from MF. Kielt wasn't just as clinical as he was that night in the league in Celtic Park but the Tyrone defence had no answer to him. Same with Lee Moore, couldn't fault the lad tonight - tremendous performance, same as Kerrigan in the corner. In defence, I thought Duffy was probably the pick of the Derry backs.

As for Tyrone - no gameplan and for the most part completely devoid of ideas. Pete Harte tried hard, Ciaran Gervin did ok for the most part, McNulty showed a few sparks, as did Harney when he was called upon,  but very few others could emerge with any credit. Time for Canavan and Cricko to make their inter-county bow at this level and establish a line of succession to Mickey Harte for down the line.

MR99

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 10, 2010, 11:18:15 PM
Shocking performance from Tyrone. Hard to take any positives from. This has to be the end of the u21 management, they've had enough chances at this stage. Screen the Tyrone boy was trying to get up and the player on the ground had a hold of his jersey. Most of the second half was taken up by Derry injuries, definately in the last few minutes there was a lot of acting going on. Much deserved to win though.

Only fault I would have with the management was the decision to play McNabb who was clearly carryingan injury but when you seen the effort of the subs that came on maybe they had no choice.  Players have to hold up their hands for this one, Gavin Teague was very poor and as for Coney I dont know how he was kept on, a real case of fur coat and no knickers!  Half forwards were non existant with only a few flashes from Harte who would have been better on the wing. Panel obviously not strong enough. Kielt had a field day against O'Neill. Donnelly and McNulty were the only 2 showing well up front but ball was coming in high instead of in fron and this was crucifying them.  Managers cant be blamed for the ineptitude of the players.

clarshack

Quote from: tyrone86 on March 10, 2010, 11:51:54 PM
As per usual, the old tinted specs come on the lads from the border areas and just winning doesn't seem to be enough, the mandatory bit of slabbering has to be done as well.

Derry were absolutely outstanding tonight and if they'd had won by 15 points there could have been no complaints. O'Boyle was indeed MOTM, ran the show from MF. Kielt wasn't just as clinical as he was that night in the league in Celtic Park but the Tyrone defence had no answer to him. Same with Lee Moore, couldn't fault the lad tonight - tremendous performance, same as Kerrigan in the corner. In defence, I thought Duffy was probably the pick of the Derry backs.

As for Tyrone - no gameplan and for the most part completely devoid of ideas. Pete Harte tried hard, Ciaran Gervin did ok for the most part, McNulty showed a few sparks, as did Harney when he was called upon,  but very few others could emerge with any credit. Time for Canavan and Cricko to make their inter-county bow at this level and establish a line of succession to Mickey Harte for down the line.

would agree with that...

screenexile

Quote from: MR99 on March 10, 2010, 11:54:58 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 10, 2010, 11:18:15 PM

Only fault I would have with the management was the decision to play McNabb who was clearly carryingan injury but when you seen the effort of the subs that came on maybe they had no choice.  Players have to hold up their hands for this one, Gavin Teague was very poor and as for Coney I dont know how he was kept on, a real case of fur coat and no knickers!  Half forwards were non existant with only a few flashes from Harte who would have been better on the wing. Panel obviously not strong enough. Kielt had a field day against O'Neill. Donnelly and McNulty were the only 2 showing well up front but ball was coming in high instead of in fron and this was crucifying them.  Managers cant be blamed for the ineptitude of the players.

No way could I agree with that I've seen most of those Tyrone lads play and on paper there is no doubt that Tyrone's 15 is better than Derry's. They had no cohesion, no gameplan and were sent out there as lads who were just expected to beat Derry. Derry worked hard, had a gameplan and stuck to it rigidly with every player playing his particular role to perfection and Tyrone simply had no way to counteract this. . . managements fault completely imo.

nrico2006

Is this the same management team that were so reluctant to start Niall McGinn a few years ago?  Definitely time for a change, there is something wrong when Tyrone are consistently under-performing in the U-21 Championshipconsidering the success achieved by countless underage and schools teams, it has to be the management.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Club Rossa

Taking nothing away from Derry who were worthy winners,but from a Tyrone perspective our lads were awful.Few ,if any of them played anywhere near their potential.Derry were dominant all over the park and could and should have won by another 5 or 6.They looked like they wanted it more and you could see that by how much breaking ball they were winning.
When you think that Declan Mullan and Gavin McGeehan have to come back into that team,they will be hard to stop.

Ceart agus Cóir

Didnt see this result coming...Derry must be very good side to have beaten them...Tyrone u21's have underachieved over the years-dont have the winning mentality of the seniors! I know players in Tyrone who dont make the squad but would probably start for my county! Sort it out

loughshore lad

The defeat last night seems to have caused a few ripples throughout Tyrone.  This management team has taken quite a bit of flack over the past number of years but perhaps the players at their disposal are not quite as good as the general consensus would suggest.  The step up post minor football is substantial. 
The problem a lot of the teams coming through now is they are compared to the batch of minors from 97-98 and to be honest most would find it hard to compare.  I for one dont think the minor team of 2008 was as good as the one of 1998 for example. Granted in recent years there seemed to be players omitted who should have been involved but barring injury most potential players seemed to be involved last night.  Also Ryan Porter was involved in the U21 set up this year, he is a well respected coach with an excellent reputation so you would assume the team would have been well prepared.

Tatler Jack

Were not Derry in the AI minor final in 2007 and unlucky to lose to Galway. So one would expect them to be strong at U21 level this year.

sheamy

Quote from: loughshore lad on March 11, 2010, 09:14:33 AM
The defeat last night seems to have caused a few ripples throughout Tyrone.  This management team has taken quite a bit of flack over the past number of years but perhaps the players at their disposal are not quite as good as the general consensus would suggest.  The step up post minor football is substantial. 
The problem a lot of the teams coming through now is they are compared to the batch of minors form 97-98 and to be honest most would find it hard to compare.  I for one dint think the minor team of 2008 was as good as the one of 1998 for example. Granted in recent years there seemed to be players omitted who should have been involved but barring injury most potential players seemed to be involved last night.  Also Ryan Porter was involved in the U21 set up this year, he is a well respected coach with an excellent reputation so you would assume the team would have been well prepared.

I'm not being funny but I think the Tyrone team looked very well prepared. Their overall conditioning was superior to the Derry team (bar the few who are on the senior squad). God knows some of these days we might actually start to get our act together...