Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: trailer on March 04, 2023, 06:50:55 PM
Tyrone's downfall can all be traced back to Ronan O'Neill's whingefest in the paper. Everyone felt they should be starting rather than doing something to deserve a jersey. He was the first cancer and it just spread from there.

I'd agree with that.

His conditioning for a county player for several years was poor and he got more chances than he should have.

HokeyPokey

I'm not sure how Ronan O'Neill supposedly whinging after leaving after winning the championship is the reason for Tyrone's post-sam struggles?

WT4E

Quote from: trailer on March 04, 2023, 06:50:55 PM
Tyrone's downfall can all be traced back to Ronan O'Neill's whingefest in the paper. Everyone felt they should be starting rather than doing something to deserve a jersey. He was the first cancer and it just spread from there.

Other key indicators also include coffee shops for the soul and that Alchemist place that things Campsie is South Dublin. Can you imagine Ricey running a coffee shop. Be something like the one in Albert Square and he'd likely refuse to serve u coffee and spit in your tea.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: An Watcher on March 04, 2023, 01:34:21 PM
Listening to mcginley and whelans podcast earlier and they both agreed that derrys strategy could catch them out yet.  Still early in the year and they're clearly going hell for leather.  Am i clutching at straws or coukd Tyrone be holding back til the business end of the championship?

It's hard to see many grounds for such optimism I'm afraid. There are times when you can understand a team building slowly through the league with the intention of then really going through the gears come the Championship. I think with the new season that kind of approach won't be so common, but more to the point for us, after how poor last season was we really needed a decent league campaign to show we were over the disappointing title defence and returning to form. Even if we were aiming to build slowly too, you'd want signs that things were going in the right direction and we were working on specific shapes and ideas. The most concerning thing has been the manner of the defeats. The hard work was done against the Rossies and Galway with Tyrone doing well against the wind then reeling them in early in the second half, only to show a lack of composure with great chances then cave in entirely. We also competed well against Mayo - as a contest it was far closer than the Mayo Kerry match - but again lack of composure and leadership at key points saw us well beaten. The talent is there but the team lacks an identity and backbone. Hard to see that coming together over the next couple of months. That said, Armagh and Donegal looked very poor tonight and the sight of the Kerry shirts tomorrow might be just what we need :D. But I doubt it.

The management team will forever be legends for 2021 but for whatever reason they have struggled badly since. You'd need to see a drastic improvement the next few months for them to be getting another term

HokeyPokey

The ghost of Ronan O'Neill has finally been banished!

TyroneClubs

Heart. Guts. Determination. Fight. And a bit of luck.

Great to see a bit of bite within the team again

square_ball

Quote from: square_ball on March 01, 2023, 01:52:10 PM

I think that's a fair summary. I can see us trying to go fairly defensive this week against Kerry. If we are shipping 3 goals to Roscommon and 4 goals to Mayo with our current approach (whatever that is) then its probably the sensible option.

We've beaten Kerry is our last 3 games - going to stick my neck on the line and go for a Tyrone win by 2 points on Sunday. . . and then probably beat by Monaghan and Armagh!

I was a point out. Great performance. I thought after the goal after a minute here we go again but fair play to them they put in a serious shift. McKernan and Donnelly superb. Hampsey probably had his best game since 2021 with the likes of Burns helping his out with Clifford.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

The sight of the Kerry shirts did help ;D. Mattie brought the leadership with others like Burns and McKernan also stepping up. Real team effort though and well deserved. I feared the worst with Kerry's second goal with the concern it waa going to follow the pattern of Roscommon and Galway. Fair play, they kept their heads.

Lot to do but it is something to build on.

square_ball

Yeah need to back it up v Monaghan and Armagh now. We are in need of a 6 - I think that could have been Munroes last chance today. Badly burned for the 2nd goal and was hooked straight after that. Not sure what options we have there. 

BennyHarp

Quote from: square_ball on March 05, 2023, 02:55:13 PM
Yeah need to back it up v Monaghan and Armagh now. We are in need of a 6 - I think that could have been Munroes last chance today. Badly burned for the 2nd goal and was hooked straight after that. Not sure what options we have there.

Hopefully we'll see Ronan McNamee back soon which will help. Great performance today. The defensive effort was immense and you see after every turn over that they were stung by the criticism and had a point to prove. Hopefully this is the catalyst to kick on. Special mention to Matty Donnelly. What a warrior of a man, showing proper leadership in the big moments.
That was never a square ball!!

An Watcher

Great stuff lads.  Something to build on

HokeyPokey

I struggle to see what Munroe offers, doesn't seem good going forward or defending. Am I missing something, is he very good positionally?

McNamee should hopefully solve a lot of problems and maybe O'Neill, Mattie, McGeary or Burns might help control things at 6.

tyroneman

Much more positive in terms of effort and result.

Not seeing much difference between MH style and todays approach though....bar the odd big man at edge of square appearance

rrhf

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 05, 2023, 03:05:34 PM
Quote from: square_ball on March 05, 2023, 02:55:13 PM

Hopefully we'll see Ronan McNamee back soon which will help. Great performance today. The defensive effort was immense and you see after every turn over that they were stung by the criticism and had a point to prove. Hopefully this is the catalyst to kick on. Special mention to Matty Donnelly. What a warrior of a man, showing proper leadership in the big moments.
There needs to be a statue of Mattie put up on some road beween Trillick and Dromore... Brilliant today..

An Watcher

Here, let's not complain about styles of play after a win like that.  If we had been going in top of the table, playing free flowing football, then we could talk about styles.  Let's get another few wins and worry about style then