Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

I think we are ok defensively when we have a full contingent.

Brennan, McNamee, Rafferty, Cassidy, Hampsey, O'Neill is a solid back 6 for me.

I also think Niall Kelly showed up well this year in his brief outings and Quinn, Grimes, Murnaghan might be able to contribute next year.

Next year we finally have the attacking talent to play muvhpre progressive football.

McShane at 14, McKenna at 11, Donnelly roving about the middle third and then 2/3 of Harte/McCurry/Bradley/Brennan/Canavan/McAliskey/Donaghy is exciting.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

square_ball

I'd prefer to see Liam Rafferty get a run at 5 over Tiernan McCann. That's where he is most effective for Galbally. I think he's a more natural half back than a corner back imo. Hampsey-McNamee-Brennan would be a solid full back line.

redzone

Has anyone watched the game back,god talk about a game we could have won. Its even more sickening watching it the second time

bgal10

When you think back, those two frees that's mcquillan brought forward made the difference in the end. Two very difficult kicks were made into certainties. Love to know what caused them to be brought in.

I'd also agree with the point re Liam Rafferty. He's almost too good a footballer to be stuck in corner back.   

Angelo

Quote from: square_ball on November 03, 2020, 09:21:49 PM
I'd prefer to see Liam Rafferty get a run at 5 over Tiernan McCann. That's where he is most effective for Galbally. I think he's a more natural half back than a corner back imo. Hampsey-McNamee-Brennan would be a solid full back line.

Rafferty is one of those players who is comfortable anywhere on the pitch, whether it's corner back or wing back he's a definite starter.

Hopefully Cassidy gets a free run from injuries next year too as he is a great attacking option from wing back and offers a lot more presence and physicality there than some of our other options in the half back line.

TwoUpTwoDown

I think the likes of Rafferty and Cassidy etc will be long term fixtures at half back. I think Tiernan McCanns race is run at County level. Decision making it poor and general athletic ability isn't enough any more.

I would never call myself a huge admirer of Meyler but he is a necessary evil at times. He definitely curtailed McHugh and had an impact on Durcan the week previous.

There are many questions that need answered but overall I think the mood is of optimism towards the future. Who leads them etc is up for debate but we are in a much better place to that of 7/8 years ago.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: bgal10 on November 03, 2020, 09:31:07 PM
When you think back, those two frees that's mcquillan brought forward made the difference in the end. Two very difficult kicks were made into certainties. Love to know what caused them to be brought in.

I'd also agree with the point re Liam Rafferty. He's almost too good a footballer to be stuck in corner back.

The one in the first half was a ridiculous call. Mattie Donnelly was standing beside Eoin McHugh, and was calling Tiernan McCann back to mark McHugh so that Mattie could go over and mark Murphy. While he was waiting for McCann to get back, Donnelly had his hand on McHughs arm. It wasn't clear from the camera picture but I presume Mattie had a hold of his jersey and that's what the free was brought in for but McHugh was standing there stationary, with no intention of moving for the ball. So to be punished for that in an Ulster Championship match at such a crucial time was a joke of a decision from McQuillan

The one in the second half seemed to be verbals, but it was a long time after the whistle was blown so I thought one of the tyrone players must have been saying something to Thompson as he was lining up the kick. If that was the case then there's no excuse for that I'm afraid

Redhand Santa

Anyone remember the action taken by McQuillan when a Donegal player stood in front of Morgan trying to take his first free of the day? A more serious infringement than what he moved the two Donegal frees up for.

Angelo

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on November 03, 2020, 10:49:10 PM
I think the likes of Rafferty and Cassidy etc will be long term fixtures at half back. I think Tiernan McCanns race is run at County level. Decision making it poor and general athletic ability isn't enough any more.

I would never call myself a huge admirer of Meyler but he is a necessary evil at times. He definitely curtailed McHugh and had an impact on Durcan the week previous.

There are many questions that need answered but overall I think the mood is of optimism towards the future. Who leads them etc is up for debate but we are in a much better place to that of 7/8 years ago.

I think McCann has lost a yard of pace, he's had a couple of bad years with injuries and probably not going to get back to the level of 4 or 5 years back now.

Will Murnaghan get a go next year?

TwoUpTwoDown

I never thought was good enough as a footballer at Inter County level, and with that yard of pace gone he is probably coming to the end, in my opinion.

Is Murnaghan really at that level? I wouldn't be sure as bar a brilliant championship season for KC a few years ago, I don't remember him being a standout performer in games. Horrible injury record for someone so young too.

Angelo

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on November 04, 2020, 12:01:41 PM
I never thought was good enough as a footballer at Inter County level, and with that yard of pace gone he is probably coming to the end, in my opinion.

Is Murnaghan really at that level? I wouldn't be sure as bar a brilliant championship season for KC a few years ago, I don't remember him being a standout performer in games. Horrible injury record for someone so young too.

McCann did improve significantly around 2016/17 and was a regular contributor on the scoreboard and a key performer for Tyrone but has had a few injuries and hasn't been at it in the last couple of years.

Murnaghan looks like a phenomenal athlete from what I've seen, I'd say he's the closest thing we have for pure pace in the squad after McKenna. Still only 20 but has had some injury issues. Think he's been very oddly used by the u20s in the past few years as some sort of target man inside and a third midfielder. There's great raw potential there with him and he should get a few chances next year in the McKenna Cup and League. I think he could really add a lot and wing back, whether he's ready now or not I don't know but give him a few games in the League to see where he's at.

It's time now for new players to get those opportunities though, we know what the likes of Burns, McKernan, Meyler, McGeary etc bring - I don't think we can win an All Ireland with all those players as starters - they can be valuable squad members but we need to let others come in and state their case.

square_ball

Canavan ruling himself out of any sort of involvement if the job does become available. He says he won't manage his son or son in law. You'd think that would effectively rule him out for at least 10 years if Canavan turns out as good as we hope/expect.

Angelo

Quote from: square_ball on November 06, 2020, 07:44:15 PM
Canavan ruling himself out of any sort of involvement if the job does become available. He says he won't manage his son or son in law. You'd think that would effectively rule him out for at least 10 years if Canavan turns out as good as we hope/expect.

There's no real standout candidate in the county. A lot of the 03-08 are not even that long retired from the club game so are only really making their first forays into management.

There's nobody in the county that has had that much sustained success at club level or nobody that has had particular success at underage level.

I don't think we'd go outside, I don't think we could afford Jim McGuinness.

I think Enda McGinley was right about a succession plan, we should have a team installed at u20 level for a specific term, be it 1 or 2 years who will then take over the reigns from Harte. Who that is I don't know but it will probably try and have someone involved from the 03-08 vintage I'd imagine.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

marty34