Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Devils advocate here a wee bit.......
Take McShane out of the equation, and what has changed...........really?
Free-taking,  a solid man-marker corner-back,  powerful midfield driving through,  quality half backs going straight through the opposition defence,  maybe I'm glass quarter full at this stage.

skeog

Cannot see Peter Harte play Sunday due to black card issue imo.

clarshack

Quote from: skeog on August 01, 2019, 05:47:40 PM
Cannot see Peter Harte play Sunday due to black card issue imo.

Think he will play and it will be a near full strength Tyrone team too. It's not in MH psyche to play weakened teams. He will want to beat Dublin on Sunday as there is no guarantee that we will play them again this season.

Jim Bob

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 01, 2019, 07:37:18 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on August 01, 2019, 01:01:19 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on July 31, 2019, 10:27:12 PM
Heard from a very good source that Dublin hasn't been mentioned in training this last two weeks, only the semi final.
Fella said that Tyrone will be weakened team this week. Mightnt field at all.

See if that what you say turns out to be a load of aul shite, will you come back here and admit so ?

Do you seriously think he thinks Tyrone mightn't field? 🤔

No but I ve lost count of the times people have quoted a ' very good source' or a 'very reliable source' stuff that turns out to be a load of shite. You don't hear much from them afterwards

Sean Dearg

Pure conjecture but would expect MH to field close to but not quite full strength team. Expect us to play ultra ultra defensive and settle for a 'close' (vs dublin <6 point) loss. Think he will fancy Kerry more than Donegal in semi final (perhaps wrongly given donegals mounting defensive issues). If we get to play Dublin again in AIF, then I think we will see high press and much more direct style with Mattie D/ McShane/ Petey pushing right up but as other posters have observed it's hard to turn it on if we haven't played it since the league.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 01, 2019, 05:38:11 PM
Devils advocate here a wee bit.......
Take McShane out of the equation, and what has changed...........really?
Free-taking,  a solid man-marker corner-back,  powerful midfield driving through,  quality half backs going straight through the opposition defence,  maybe I'm glass quarter full at this stage.

I know what you are saying, but to put forward the case for the defence of an improved Tyrone...
Take McShane out of the equation, - you can't just take him out of the equation, he's there and the top scorer in Ireland. A huge plus.
Free-taking - McShane and Harte have been very solid this year.
A solid man-marker corner-back - Ronan McNamee is in much better form than last year and doing a good job on the opposition's danger men.
powerful midfield driving through - I agree here but Brian Kennedy has huge potential and now has the best part of a season behind him. 
Quality half backs going straight through the opposition defence - what about the emergence of Michael Cassidy?
Maybe I'm glass quarter full at this stage - I always turn into a glass half full supporter at this stage of the year.
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: hardstation on August 01, 2019, 11:04:36 PM
Hindsight is great but taking Peter Harte's ban on the chin was the best option for Tyrone.

Getting him a black card in the dying seconds of the Cork game would have been the 2nd best option.

If Enda McGinley was right black cards don't carry for an All Ireland final. If that's the case there would have been no point in trying to get a black card versus Cork (especially in a tight game you needed to have your mind on winning). Whether he was rested for this weekends game or suspended he still would have been available for a semi final. And if he got a black card in the semi final he'd still be available for a final if they get that far. Tyrone also intended appealing the other two black cards again so not sure how that went.

Angelo

Quote from: Snapchap on August 01, 2019, 04:05:59 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 01, 2019, 03:43:36 PM
The reason Tyrone didn't beat Kerry or Mayo last year was because neither team made it far enough in the championship. They were both poor last year and all logic suggests Tyrone would have beaten them.
You can only beat what is in front of you but we can't second guess what we 'would have' done if we'd met them at different times. The cold hard fact is that we've had 11 years and 9 opportunities against those three teams and we've lost every one of them.

You can also take Dublin out of the equation as they have beaten everyone in recent years and that accounts for the majority of the defeats.
Taking Dublin out of the equation doesn't cut it as an excuse. In those 9 years, only three of them were years that we were defeated by the Dubs and they went on to win the All-Ireland. Plus another year where they beat us and still didn't win the All-Ireland. Then there were another 3 years when Dublin won the All-Ireland but we still lost to Kerry or Mayo.

The two losses that the current team endured against Kerry and Mayo were in 2015 and 2016. On both occasions the games were close with Tyrone losing narrowly. I do think our team has matured a good bit from then, in particular the 2015 u21 team which accounts for 6/7 starters.
2016 was close, losing by a point (we still lost). In 2013, they beat us by 6 after dismantling us in the second half.

Kerry seem to have improved from last year and they'd be a huge battle next week. I would give us a good chance of taking them though, it would be a massive game for this current Tyrone team and would be great for their confidence to get over the line.
Sadly, I can't be so confident. The gameplan Mickey Harte has stuck rigidly to over the last decade has not been good enough and, after a promising shift of style in the league, it has reverted since the defeat to Donegal. Even if he switches back to the attacking style (with Donnelly in the forward line), it's a system we just aren't well versed enough in yet. We played it for a half a game vs Cork but that won't be enough to perfect it to face the Dublins or Kerrys.

Only one team has beaten Dublin once in the past 7 Championships so you can take them out of the equation. Tyrone were dying a slow death from 09-14. Since then it's been pretty much an entirely new squad with an entirely new tactical approach. We lost to Kerry by 3 in 2015 and Mayo by 1 in 2016. Since then we have been making it as far as we could until we met the team nobody can beat.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Dire Ear

Benny,  won't do the whole requote thing.....
Thing about McShane is that a team like Dublin could take him out of the equation,  and prabably will
Still missing too many frees imho, to win an AI
Mc namee needs help in there,  although Brennan is solid
Half backs and midfield; I'm not convinced,  although I agree with you that Kennedy and Cassidy will be fine footballers
Just think that to beat the Dubs esp. you need to be so solid with little or no weak links,  I would be afraid that there are a few
Just my view

Angelo

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 02, 2019, 11:48:33 AM
Benny,  won't do the whole requote thing.....
Thing about McShane is that a team like Dublin could take him out of the equation,  and prabably will
Still missing too many frees imho, to win an AI
Mc namee needs help in there,  although Brennan is solid
Half backs and midfield; I'm not convinced,  although I agree with you that Kennedy and Cassidy will be fine footballers
Just think that to beat the Dubs esp. you need to be so solid with little or no weak links,  I would be afraid that there are a few
Just my view

Justifiable concerns but each of the other contenders will have similar concerns or different ones to us in the face of Dublin.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GlenMan

I could see Benny Gallen starting tomorrow for sure. Maybe give Aidy McCrory a final run out as well.

Localexpert

Quote from: GlenMan on August 02, 2019, 03:48:58 PM
I could see Benny Gallen starting tomorrow for sure. Maybe give Aidy McCrory a final run out as well.

There is absolutely not doubt aidan McCrory will play tomorrow and unless he retires he'll still be there next year as well!

Jim Bob

Quote from: GlenMan on August 02, 2019, 03:48:58 PM

Sunday you mean!!! Kyle Coney as well along with Big McClure

omagh_gael

I've seen the team, almost certain every player who started last week isn't starting tomorrow.

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone