Belfast rioting over removal of Union Jack

Started by Maurice Moss, December 04, 2012, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

That looks like a Meath flag they're burning. Might head down with a rake of Armagh regalia for torching.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I see they are trying to burn the Tricolour, lets see how that plays out when viewed in the US and UK proper where such sights are generally viewed as the preserve of wacko Al Qaeda types.

This rabble are showing the true face of Unionism. They sulked over Home Rule, they sulked over civil rights, and now they sulk over a piece of cloth, democracy is not in their DNA.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

fingerbob

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 08, 2012, 11:59:21 AM
So basically everyone should just join Alliance and hold hands skipping off into the sunset and pretend that the constitutional problem doesn't exist and that anyone who cares about it and wants to support a party which aims to either maintain or end the union is just an extremist?

What are you on about? You just took that out of thin air.

Although, on that topic, the constitutional question shouldn't matter at all right now. It's something that isn't going to change for the foreseeable future (if it ever does) and it's only dicks like you that indulge and let yourselves be consumed by it, while the rest of us just want to get on with becoming a functioning, sustainable society.

There are far more important things to be dealing with and it's the most frustrating thing about living in the north that we keep being dragged back into this shite by the likes of you.

Itchy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 08, 2012, 05:19:14 PM
I see they are trying to burn the Tricolour, lets see how that plays out when viewed in the US and UK proper where such sights are generally viewed as the preserve of wacko Al Qaeda types.

This rabble are showing the true face of Unionism. They sulked over Home Rule, they sulked over civil rights, and now they sulk over a piece of cloth, democracy is not in their DNA.

I've often wondered where do loyalists get tricolours to burn and those boyos in Egypt and Iran, where to they get the US flag to burn. It almost implies someone on their "side" is actually making flags to burn them.  In any case Mayo, they be burning tricolours regularly in the 6, its a hobby some of the loyalists have like you might collect stamps.

imtommygunn

So someof these boyos are rioting as they believe their flag should be respected. While they riot they are basically using the flags as balaclavas. You couldn't make it up.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: Itchy on December 08, 2012, 05:55:53 PM

I've often wondered where do loyalists get tricolours to burn and those boyos in Egypt and Iran, where to they get the US flag to burn. It almost implies someone on their "side" is actually making flags to burn them.  In any case Mayo, they be burning tricolours regularly in the 6, its a hobby some of the loyalists have like you might collect stamps.

A year or two ago, they were selling them in some Loyalist shops in Belfast, for the purpose of burning.
Testing Accessibility

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Itchy on December 08, 2012, 05:55:53 PM

I usually enjoy their attempts at making US/UK flags in the middle east. Usually results in looking like a 5 year olds art project!!

charlieTully

Quote from: fingerbob on December 08, 2012, 05:34:05 PM
So basically everyone should just join Alliance and hold hands skipping off into the sunset and pretend that the constitutional problem doesn't exist and that anyone who cares about it and wants to support a party which aims to either maintain or end the union is just an extremist?

Although, on that topic, the constitutional question shouldn't matter at all right now. It's something that isn't going to change for the foreseeable future (if it ever does) and it's only dicks like you that indulge and let yourselves be consumed by it, while the rest of us just want to get on with becoming a functioning, sustainable society.

There are far more important things to be dealing with and it's the most frustrating thing about living in the north that we keep being dragged back into this shite by the likes of you.

Jesus that's a bit strong ffs, the flag is still going to be flown on designated days, there is nothing wrong with wanting parity of esteem and equality. its the protesters who are ignoring democracy, if they were bothered to vote they would probably have got their way. i live in a council area where a vote was taken to fly the rag every day of the year, a lot of people don't like it but we don't go protesting and wrecking, we accept we are in the minority here and the majority want the rag up. if injustices and inequality are ignored we will end up back where we were. sf are the majority nationalist party, that tells its own story, i personally don't agree with everything they say but vote for them. there is nothing to stop you voting alliance if you wish. the days of croppie lie down are long gone. ffs you couldn't even wear a GAA top in public when i was younger. you should be more grateful for the sacrifices people have made in the past.

ballinaman

Massive respect to the lads on the board here living up North. Can't imagine what its like to be in close proximity to these idiots on a everyday basis. When I see the stuff like what was on the news there, I can almost feel the blood pressure rising. Don't think I'd last long up your way!

GalwayBayBoy

Rossfan

I doubt if many in Cavan , Monaghan and Donegal would be happy about that .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

fingerbob

Quote from: charlieTully on December 08, 2012, 06:29:50 PM

Jesus that's a bit strong ffs, the flag is still going to be flown on designated days, there is nothing wrong with wanting parity of esteem and equality. its the protesters who are ignoring democracy, if they were bothered to vote they would probably have got their way. i live in a council area where a vote was taken to fly the rag every day of the year, a lot of people don't like it but we don't go protesting and wrecking, we accept we are in the minority here and the majority want the rag up. if injustices and inequality are ignored we will end up back where we were. sf are the majority nationalist party, that tells its own story, i personally don't agree with everything they say but vote for them. there is nothing to stop you voting alliance if you wish. the days of croppie lie down are long gone. ffs you couldn't even wear a GAA top in public when i was younger. you should be more grateful for the sacrifices people have made in the past.

You're tying the constitutional question in with a lot of other issues there. I was only talking about the constitutional question. The rest of what you talk about in regards to parity of esteem and equality, in my opinion would have came without the struggle over the constitutional question.

I just think it's completely pointless getting caught up in it as realistically it's not going to change for a long time, so let's concentrate on the now.  Personally I don't need anyone to tell me my nationality or make it official. I'd rather try and live in relative peace with those around me with my own satisfaction in who I am, especially when the alternative seems to be the sort of crap we've seen over the past week.

I am grateful for the actions of many in the past while appalled at others, but it's a very different situation for nationalists in the present. To restrict yourself to the politics of a union or a united Ireland is ridiculous.

charlieTully

Quote from: fingerbob on December 08, 2012, 06:44:14 PM

You're tying the constitutional question in with a lot of other issues there. I'm only talking the constitutional question. The rest of what you talk about in regards to parity of esteem and equality, in my opinion would have came without the struggle over the constitutional question.

I just think it's completely pointless getting caught up in it as realistically it's not going to change for a long time, so let's concentrate on the now.  Personally I don't need anyone to tell me my nationality or make it official. I'd rather try and live in relative peace with those around me with my own satisfaction in who I am, especially when the alternative seems to be the sort of crap we've seen over the past week.

I am grateful for the actions of many in the past while appalled at others, but it's a very different situation for nationalists in the present. To restrict yourself to the politics of a union or a united Ireland is ridiculous.

if the constitutional question is never spoken about and left aside the younger generations will never care about it and it will never be a possibility (maybe they dont care anyway). its a legitimate aspiration.

fingerbob

Quote from: charlieTully on December 08, 2012, 07:05:00 PM
Quote from: fingerbob on December 08, 2012, 06:44:14 PM

You're tying the constitutional question in with a lot of other issues there. I'm only talking the constitutional question. The rest of what you talk about in regards to parity of esteem and equality, in my opinion would have came without the struggle over the constitutional question.

if the constitutional question is never spoken about and left aside the younger generations will never care about it and it will never be a possibility (maybe they dont care anyway). its a legitimate aspiration.

If it's a relevant aspiration people will care about it and it will be a possibility. Whether or not that will be the case I don't know but it's in our history and has formed the way we are. It won't be forgotten about but to let it continue to dictate the way we operate as a society is wrong.

Let's have a go at acting like any other civilised society for a while and take things from there.