Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 27, 2009, 07:53:05 PM
For what it's worth, here;s the fixtures for the weekend and the way I think they MIGHT pan out...

Imperial Bar A.C.F.L. Division 1 Round 1

Saturday - Redhills v Belturbet - Gumley missing will be a huge loss this team, jayo and vaughan to be the diffence
Saturday - Mullahoran v Lavey - Would fancy Mullahorn with home advantage to win by 3 or 4
Cavan Gaels v Ballinagh - Can't look past the Gaels
Cuchulainns v Denn -  Very tight to call, Cucu maybe to continue good league form by 2, wouldn't rule out  a draw
Kilygarry v Gowna - Gowna to win, McKeever, Pierson and McCabe too much to handle
Crosserlough v Castlerahan - Haven't a clue, Castlerahan always should be doing better than do... but C'lough hard to beat at home
Ramor Utd v Lacken - Ramor will make an impact this year, ramor by 3
Cathal Brady Audi A.C.F.L. Division 2 Round 1

Saturday - Shercock v Kill - Gonna fancy Shercock in this one, always do better in early part of league
Saturday - Cavan Gaels v Cootehill - Gonna have to back the horse I'm riding in this one.... think we might shade it (please don't come back to haunt me)
Killeshandra v Crosserlough - Killeshandra, would expect McKiernan and O'reilly to fancy swing one, interesting to see how C'lough junior team gets on
Kingscourt v Drumalee - very tough one, both had seasons to forget last year, home advantage to count maybe???
Killinkere v Drumgoon - would expect goonies to sneak through but Killinkere are never easy to beat at home
Drumlane v Ballyhaise - Gonna give Drumlane the shout (if like I'm told Cullivan and Pickett won;t be there)
Knockbride v Drung  - another close one to call, Tierney is flying and Larry finding form gonna go for Knockbride despite galligan and waters

John Brady Insurances Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 3 Round 1

Saturday - Butlersbridge v Ballymachugh - Bridge by couple of points
Saturday - Kildallon v Corlough - Kildallon by 4 or 5
Shannon Gaels v Munterconnacht - Wouldn't know the form here at all so not gonna open my mouth!!
Swanlinbar v Templeport - again not too sure at all, Swad to sneak thru
Mountnugent v Cornafean - Expecting Givney to shine even more in Div 3 so Mountnugent by 3
Killygarry v Laragh Utd - expecting a young laragh team to push for promotion this year, laragh by 3
Bailieboro v Arva - again expecting to see bailieboro in the shake up at the top, so shamrocks by 4/5

My last relevant post was ignored by all and sundry to debate mountnugent boys in the stand but I'l chance another one (where's boojangles when you need him).

Celt Man, I was gonna pop up to your match (3:30 in Terry Coyle??) to try and gain as much club knowledge as yourself. How are ye getting on in training and where might you be playing so that I can give you a review of your own performance?

As for your predictions I'd be disagreeing with you on the Gowna v Killygarry and Killeshandra v Crosserlough games but we'll see.

Babe Ruth 47

Best of luck too DIT and all the Cavan lads involved with the Sigerson Final today. Unfortunately only one starting, Martin Reilly, who is showing some great form at this level. Hopefully he can carry some of this forward to the Down game. Its on at 3 on tg4, so get watching and never mind the ould egg chasers.

cavan4ever

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on February 27, 2009, 10:36:45 PM

all i meant C4E  is that your answer to put it ups comment sounded a little contradictary, nobody at any match has the right to personally critise any player, county, club from the stand, or the dugout.
anyway dont want a war of words with you, i just feel you were harsh, expressing your hatred for mountnugent over what a small group of lads were saying.

another thing, i did not mean to start up a discussion about the abuse walsh gets, for my money he has been an easy target by begrudgers as far back as the time he played  aussie rules, doesnt deserve it, tried very hard in longford, good lad.

Pull it out didnt know what she was talking about.  Cavan supporters shouldnt be abusing cavan players if there going to do that they should stay at home. As for hating Mountnugent i dont but i cant see why they would single out Galligan other than him being Drung captain last year. 

put-it-up

Ah I am ragin I am going to miss the Sigerson final today..arrrgh

Promised a mate of mine I would bring him to see Shercock -v- Kill :D. Might tell him I feel sick now!!!!

the salmon of knowledge

sorry C4E think the brain is on overtime there, galligan captin of drung last year, drung beat mountnugent... he has to slagged off????
thats crap

mylestheslasher

Saturday's ACFL Round-up
28 February 2009

Saturday afternoon, February 28, saw this year's All County Football League get underway, with five games down for decision in total from Divisions One through Three.

The first throw-in of the new season was in Division One at Our Lady of Lourdes Park, where the hosts Mullahoran welcomed last year's intermediate championship semi-finalists, Lavey.

Pascal Canavan's men were quick out the traps here, kicking three points in the first five minutes before Lavey struck points through Kevin Brady and Darren Jordan to help narrow down the gap.

With the wind in their sails for the opening half, Mullahoran continued to peg back their opponents though and the frees of Danny and Philip Brady helped them take in a 0-7 to 0-4 lead at the break.

In the second-half, Lavey mirrored their opponents' start with unanswered points from Kevin Brady, Sean Maguire and Declan Murphy and looked as though they were to move into an advance position.

However, on the 40-minute mark the men in black were caught napping at the back and it was Raymond Lynch that buried a brilliant finish past Conor Martin in the Lavey goal to bring the difference back to three for the Dreadnoughts.

Both Philip and Danny Brady raised white flags thereafter coming towards the last 10, and despite their best effort their was no coming back for Lavey after that as the home side went on to record a 1-9 to 0-10 victory.

Arguably, the best game of the day was the other Division One fixture at Max McGrath Park where Redhills announced their return to senior football in the county with a two-point win over neighbours Belturbet.

All looked to be going well for the visitors when there talisman Jason O'Reilly netted in a trademark goal after 10 minutes, but Redhills regrouped well from the initial shock and fired in a goal of their own from the excellent Rory Dunne at centre-field, which helped them into a 1-5 to 1-4 lead at half-time.

From the restart it was nip and tuck for both sides, with Brendan Fitzpatrick doing most of the damage up front for the Rories, and it was all to play for until Redhills centre-forward Colin Reilly bagged the game's third goal with 10 minutes remaining to make sure the border men would start off their new life in Division One with an early pair of points on the board.

In Division Two Shercock scored a convincing win over newcomers Kill with a superb second-half showing at O'Hagan Park, which saw them outscore their visitors 1-5 to 0-1.

Pierce McKenna was on form for Kill during the opening half-hour, but his team failed to make use of the heavy wind advantage at their backs and the two sides went in level on 0-5 each at the break.

In the second-half Shercock flew out of the traps to hit four unanswered points, three of which came from the boot of Cathal Reilly, and when Francis McPhilips came off the bench to net the game's only goal with under 10 minutes remaining the issue was settled, 1-10 to 0-6.

At Terry Coyle Park Cootehill came back from a four-point deficit to earn a draw from Cavan Gaels, largely thanks to the introduction of ace attacker Colm Smith to the game after half-time.

A lethal full-forward line of Conor McClarey, Levi Murphy and Martin Dunne caused Cootehill major problems in the first-half and after Tommy McCormack booted over the score of the game they trailed 0-6 to 0-2 at the break.

Smith was sent on by the Cootehill management at the restart and had an immediate impact, setting up Mark Mullen for an early score that inspired the team.

Cavan Gaels' best goal chance came from McClarey shaving the post towards the last quarter before Cootehill's big full-forward Paul McCarney rattled the net in the following attack at the other end. Smith landed two points to edge the visitors in front before Levi Murphy and Joshua Hayes swapped points to leave the difference at one towards the closing stages.

Just when it looked as though Cootehill were to gain a memorable victory, the Gaels' full-forward drew one last free and it was Murphy that earned the Cavan town side a share of the spoils by popping the placed kick over.

In Ballyconnell, Emmett Curry gained an opening win over his former team Kildallan with Corlough at First Ulsters Park in the day's only Division Three encounter.

After taking in a 0-6 to 0-4 lead at the interval, the visitors maintained a two-point lead, with Brendan and Fintan McGovern and Aaron Duignan swapping points, up until the last quarter when Curry's son, Jason, hit the net to put KILDALLAN a point ahead.

However, the home side couldn't push on and instead it was Corlough that re-took the lead through the two McGovern's in the final stages to see out a 0-15 to 1-10 victory in this local derby.

BallyhaiseMan

Redhills won, f**k  >:(

Shercock beating Kill was no suprise, Kill have some great players like McKenna but no strength in depth. They will struggle to win a game.(watch them beat Ballyhaise now after i said that  :D )

Mullahoran Lavey was tighter than id have expected.

Cootehill got a draw,not a bad result.
that Gaels full forward line of McClarey. Levi Murphy and Martin Dunne will take some watching this year(all 3 would be certain starters on any other club team in the county bar the gaels)

bit of a shock in Div 3 with Corlough pulling one over Kildallan,whom id have reckoned would be strong contenders for league and championship this year.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 28, 2009, 08:45:18 PM
Redhills won, f**k  >:(

Shercock beating Kill was no suprise, Kill have some great players like McKenna but no strength in depth. They will struggle to win a game.(watch them beat Ballyhaise now after i said that  :D )

Mullahoran Lavey was tighter than id have expected.

Cootehill got a draw,not a bad result.
that Gaels full forward line of McClarey. Levi Murphy and Martin Dunne will take some watching this year(all 3 would be certain starters on any other club team in the county bar the gaels)

bit of a shock in Div 3 with Corlough pulling one over Kildallan,whom id have reckoned would be strong contenders for league and championship this year.

Murphy only came on for the Gaels and although McClarey gave his man a serious roasting in the first half (hope it wasn't Celt Man) he wasn't nearly as potent in the second. Smith had a great second half for Cootehill and McCutcheon seems to follow the ball around the field offering support.
Very entertaining game for the first of the year and probably a fair result.

anglocelt39

thanks for the updates lads. Myles, a career in the GAA media surely awaits you, just be careful to avoid any red top type allegations about former county legends ok. Well done to all concerned.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

put-it-up

It didnt take me long to find out where those match reports were pulled from :D

I was over at the Shercock -v- Kill game. Wasnt great stuff and if I am being completely honest, i think Kill will struggle this year. Really lack any major presence in the forwards and are far too reliant on McKenna for inspiration.

That Shercock team is a young squad with plenty of youth replacing older heads. Cathal Reilly was excellent at full forward and I think very highly of their young midfielder Michael Reilly.

With it five points apiece at the break, Kill only got a point in the second half as Shercock powered on and got 1-5 or 1-6 - not entirely sure.

Not surprised Redhills got off to a winning start. Even without Gumley they are an upcoming team, while as Belturbet are a side on their last legs. Not much coming through the ranks out there..

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 28, 2009, 10:00:52 PM
thanks for the updates lads. Myles, a career in the GAA media surely awaits you, just be careful to avoid any red top type allegations about former county legends ok. Well done to all concerned.

Afraid I just copied and pasted from hoganstand  :D, too lazy to be a real journalist.

cavan4ever

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on February 28, 2009, 05:34:22 PM
sorry C4E think the brain is on overtime there, galligan captin of drung last year, drung beat mountnugent... he has to slagged off????
thats crap

That was the worst team we played all year dont know how they got they got to the final but they would have no other reason to say the things they were saying.

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 01, 2009, 11:29:19 AM
thats crap

That was the worst team we played all year dont know how they got they got to the final but they would have no other reason to say the things they were saying.

Ahh jaysus will you drop it the pair of ye... don't want it getting like the other place.

Probably was a fair enough result in our game although I think we hit 10 wides alone in the first half - easy knowing we haven't kicked a ball hardly yet in training - thought we have most 65 - 70% of the play.  But you're always disappointed when you're up by a point with 2 minutes to go and you draw the game.
I think I know why most people don't like the gaels now, beating a team doesn't seem to be enough for them they have to mouth and throw sly ones all the time, ahh well I'll know for the next time.

Quote from: put-it-up on March 01, 2009, 12:57:20 AM

I was over at the Shercock -v- Kill game. Wasnt great stuff and if I am being completely honest, i think Kill will struggle this year. Really lack any major presence in the forwards and are far too reliant on McKenna for inspiration.

That Shercock team is a young squad with plenty of youth replacing older heads. Cathal Reilly was excellent at full forward and I think very highly of their young midfielder Michael Reilly.

With it five points apiece at the break, Kill only got a point in the second half as Shercock powered on and got 1-5 or 1-6 - not entirely sure.

Not surprised Redhills got off to a winning start. Even without Gumley they are an upcoming team, while as Belturbet are a side on their last legs. Not much coming through the ranks out there..

In fairness to kill, they were missing 5 of their starting forward line not many clubs could handle that. Didn't exactly shed a tear for them either
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 01, 2009, 11:42:44 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on March 01, 2009, 11:29:19 AM
thats crap

Ahh jaysus will you drop it the pair of ye... don't want it getting like the other place.

Probably was a fair enough result in our game although I think we hit 10 wides alone in the first half - easy knowing we haven't kicked a ball hardly yet in training - thought we have most 65 - 70% of the play.  But you're always disappointed when you're up by a point with 2 minutes to go and you draw the game.
I think I know why most people don't like the gaels now, beating a team doesn't seem to be enough for them they have to mouth and throw sly ones all the time, ahh well I'll know for the next time.

Quote from: put-it-up on March 01, 2009, 12:57:20 AM

In fairness to kill, they were missing 5 of their starting forward line not many clubs could handle that. Didn't exactly shed a tear for them either

Trying to the last few days.

cavan4ever