Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on February 16, 2009, 10:20:58 PM
Quote from: boojangles on February 16, 2009, 11:36:38 AM
Quote from: Drung on February 15, 2009, 01:35:10 PM
QuoteI wasnt at any of the games... There were alot of lads who could have got the chop that werent playing well

How do you know?

McCormack's man, Ciaran Close, scored 0-5 from play in Belfast. That was the game which lost him his place. Good lad and good club player but county player? No.
Just because I couldnt go to the matches doesnt mean I dont get a run-down of things.I have been going to Cavan games for 20 years but when you see the same old shit happening over and over you just get sick of it all TBH.The interest just isnt there anymore.Il play with my club and give it my all but my days of following Cavan down to Ardfinnan and Dungarvan are over.
Im not saying that Enda should b starting with the County at the moment but give him time and he would be good enough.The lad was given a few games to prove himself.With the training and experience he would only have improved.There are some players on the Cavan panel who have been there for SIX seasons and still havent proven themselves to be an Inter-County footballer.That shit doesnt go on in successfull counties.Its no wonder Tipp are beating us.As a county at least they know what it takes to be successful.
BH Man, I think calling for Tommy Carrs head is a bit premature TBH but in the end I dont think it matters.
Red n Black Im sorry to say but your wasting your time thinking you can change things.I have been involved in my club at coaching for the last few years and Im only 24 and still playing.Ideally players should be let play and ex-players or parents should look after Underage in a club but its not happeneing.Parents or anybody else for that matter just don't wanna give up their time anymore.If one good thing comes out of this recession it is that maybe some people mite dedicate more of their free time(because there should be lots) to Coaching young lads.

I disagree. To improve our young players then coaches, be they parents or players need to go and learn how to coach. Just because someone has played ball doest make them a coach. Fair play for being involved with coaching in your club but did you attend the recent Mid Cavan two Introduction Coaching Course or travel to the Ulster Coaching Conference. How about the Conference in the Kilmore next weekend. If coaches don't continuously educate themselves as to what is happening in this crucial area of player development then Cavan football can go no where. In our own club with huge effort from some of the coaches already involved with coaching they got 29 people out over two days to complete the new course. Lots of current players, ex players and parents took part. The previous weekend saw 16 clubs offered coaching courses in two regions in Cavan and less than 30 turned up in two venues!!! Players should give something back even when playing as the young players look up to them as Seniors in the club and fair play to you for getting involved. Check out the last Ulster winning team in Cavan and see how many are coaching at club level!!! Then go through the Tyrone All Ireland winning teams, especially at colleges level, and see how many ex players help out. A team effort is needed in Cavan to dig ourselves out of this mess. A lot of folks love to hate the Gaels but you have to admire the coaching efforts they put in over the last 20 years. We need the same effort put in at all clubs to balance out the standards across the county and make our club games more competitive and then our players will learn about playing to a high standard all the time. Try out the coaching courses and even current payers learn so many new things to bring back to their senior training sessions. Some of our players didn't become great drinkers by just having the odd one now and again. It takes repeated practice. So does football and coaching!!!!

f**k thats to much text for this time of night!!

BallyhaiseMan

Re/ Underage structures
i know a serious amount of work has gone on at underage level in my own club over the last 10 years.. we are seeing the benefit as we are now competing in Division One and more than holding our own,Bailebrough are another one who are putting in the work,they have some great young talent coming through at underage level(and they have size aswell!!)
i won everything from U 12 up,alot of the time competing with Boojangles and Drumalee  ;) but it was all Division 2, as the Gaels powered by Nicholas Walsh and co, owned Division One at every grade and annihilated everyone in their path.To me our minor team even if they dont win a league or championship this year have achieved far greater than we did by competing and holding their own with the best teams in the county.

i think it shows a great amount of work has been done in certain clubs as Baileborough(under 14, under 16 mainly) Castlerahan,Crosserlough  Kingscourt and Lurgan/Ramor  have improved and on occasion indeed surpassed the Gaels at different age groups. There are still clubs who have to get their act together though,but definite improvements have been made by certain clubs

id always hold Tyrone up as the benchmark as to where we must get to in terms of coaching and youth development,
Tyrone were putting their youth and coaching structures together in 1994, a good 10-12 years before we caught on so we have alot of catching up to do.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 16, 2009, 09:01:18 PM
Also, at this time of the year, off the wall results like this are common in the league. Lower ranked teams like Tipp can have a serious fitness edge and that counts for alot too, especially if the other team happens to have had a very heavy session in a given week, as someone alluded to on this very thread in the run up to the match. The Longford loss too was something of a comparable freak by all accounts.

To the Cavan supporter on the thread that questioned it, I'd stand over all this no problem.

Certain teams make a bigger effort for the league than others and know that they can steal a march on opponents early on with higher fitness levels, this is a widely accepted factor in results every year, especially early on. e.g. Louth in January were way ahead of everyone else by all accounts, it's hardly a madness to suggest that maybe fitness levels were just one factor in this result. I don't know because I wasn't there, I was just suggesting.

Heavy training sessions with a view on later in the year can also lop-side league results, I think someone mentioned Cavan were doing heavy stamina work in the week? Again I don't see anything outlandish in that, and in any game where you dominate midfield and control possession to a 65%, or more, extent as against Longford, it's hardly stretching it to say it's a fairly rare result to lose that particular game.

Anyway, I could be worse, I could be off in other counties' threads offering my own repetitive world view in some vain effort at WUMing, but people who do that are basically akin to Shane McGowan setting up a mobile clinic to offer free dental advice.
And believing your opinion counts for much in another county's thread, when everything posted to date points the other direction, well that might be the most warped and non realistic thing of all.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 16, 2009, 11:41:16 PM
Re/ Underage structures
i know a serious amount of work has gone on at underage level in my own club over the last 10 years.. we are seeing the benefit as we are now competing in Division One and more than holding our own,Bailebrough are another one who are putting in the work,they have some great young talent coming through at underage level(and they have size aswell!!)
i won everything from U 12 up,alot of the time competing with Boojangles and Drumalee  ;) but it was all Division 2, as the Gaels powered by Nicholas Walsh and co, owned Division One at every grade and annihilated everyone in their path.To me our minor team even if they dont win a league or championship this year have achieved far greater than we did by competing and holding their own with the best teams in the county.

i think it shows a great amount of work has been done in certain clubs as Baileborough(under 14, under 16 mainly) Castlerahan,Crosserlough  Kingscourt and Lurgan/Ramor  have improved and on occasion indeed surpassed the Gaels at different age groups. There are still clubs who have to get their act together though,but definite improvements have been made by certain clubs

id always hold Tyrone up as the benchmark as to where we must get to in terms of coaching and youth development,
Tyrone were putting their youth and coaching structures together in 1994, a good 10-12 years before we caught on so we have alot of catching up to do.

I see you've been cleaning up  the carnage you left on the board on Sunday :D

BallyhaiseMan

Yep i lost the plot, did anyone notice?  ???  :D

Celt_Man

Quote from: RednBlack on February 17, 2009, 02:14:50 PM
Tis the effects of following Cavan. Seniors to play Under 21's this weekend. Will they win this one???????? Would be great to see the players away from home pooling cars and making the efforts to come home for training midweek. Its a proud moment in any players career to make his home county panel so with all the modes of transport available to these guys maybe they could use some of the grant money to travel once a week!!!!

It's easy saying that from here, but I don't care what panel you're on - If you're working on the far side of Dublin and you don't finish work till 6 bells you haven't a snowballs hope in hell of getting to Cavan for 8 bells.  Anyway I don't think this time of year is the most important time to be coming down for training... couple of weeks before champo obviously.

Anyway I believe that the training the Dublin based players are doing up there with the Mayo and Wexford boys is top notch stuff.  The guy running it, Jim Kilty knows his stuff big time.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 17, 2009, 02:22:29 PM
Quote from: RednBlack on February 17, 2009, 02:14:50 PM
Tis the effects of following Cavan. Seniors to play Under 21's this weekend. Will they win this one???????? Would be great to see the players away from home pooling cars and making the efforts to come home for training midweek. Its a proud moment in any players career to make his home county panel so with all the modes of transport available to these guys maybe they could use some of the grant money to travel once a week!!!!

It's easy saying that from here, but I don't care what panel you're on - If you're working on the far side of Dublin and you don't finish work till 6 bells you haven't a snowballs hope in hell of getting to Cavan for 8 bells.  Anyway I don't think this time of year is the most important time to be coming down for training... couple of weeks before champo obviously.

Anyway I believe that the training the Dublin based players are doing up there with the Mayo and Wexford boys is top notch stuff.  The guy running it, Jim Kilty knows his stuff big time.

Our club trained in Navan on a wednesday night nearly all last summer, so the dublin lads could come down,
Theres no reason why the dublin based players cant continue working with the Mayo/Wexford lads with Jim Kilty,but also meet with the Cavan based lads one night DURING the week somewhere in Meath,Anyone who has ever done county training at this time of the year could tell you,heavy sessions take days to recover from,so its not ideal to be doing heavy sessions on a friday,then having national league matches on a Sat or Sunday, it would explain why the lads looked very sluggish against Tipp.

cavan4ever

Is Sean McCormack U21 this year haisman?

BallyhaiseMan

Hes not, no C4ever
Hes in the US working aswell, went 3 or 4 weeks ago. Huge Miss for the club.

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on February 16, 2009, 01:59:17 PM
QuoteT think that enough about him now.

I don't understand?
Boojangles, apart from the Queens match, McCormack was worse than Podge in the other two games in my opinion. He should have been tried in a different position because he was lost at corner-back.
What has happened Tierney??
Your right there.Enda hasnt played corner back since 2005.
Drumalee played Knockbride on Saturday,John Tierney played the full match at Midfield and looked very good.His composure and reading of the game is second to none.Not sure whats the story with him and Cavan.
BH Man whats the story with Cullivan,is it true that there is problems with his transfer??

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 17, 2009, 07:35:01 PM
Hes not, no C4ever
God thats some number he must have if they are flying him home for the weekends??Seen him in Cavan on Saturday

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on February 17, 2009, 07:40:26 PM
Hes not, no C4ever
God thats some number he must have if they are flying him home for the weekends??Seen him in Cavan on Saturday

Ballyhaiseman must still be not right from sunday!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on February 17, 2009, 07:40:26 PM
Hes not, no C4ever

:D He hasnt trained with the club this year yet, because he was/is supposed to be heading to the States to work/holiday until May when he was coming back.
dont know whats the story so.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on February 17, 2009, 07:38:06 PM
Quote from: Drung on February 16, 2009, 01:59:17 PM
QuoteT think that enough about him now.

I don't understand?
Boojangles, apart from the Queens match, McCormack was worse than Podge in the other two games in my opinion. He should have been tried in a different position because he was lost at corner-back.
What has happened Tierney??
Your right there.Enda hasnt played corner back since 2005.
Drumalee played Knockbride on Saturday,John Tierney played the full match at Midfield and looked very good.His composure and reading of the game is second to none.Not sure whats the story with him and Cavan.
BH Man whats the story with Cullivan,is it true that there is problems with his transfer??

As RednBlack says, For an Inter County Transfer you have to give an address, He supposedly gave DCU as his address which was rejected because it wasnt a permanent residence.
dont know if he will put in another request(is there a deadline??), or if he will play for us this year.