Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

i think Givney has terrific football ability whats my name,and has a big future with Cavan
Unfortunaely hes lacking pace,and the support around him is lacking at times, he did score 1 great point,but he got beaten in races he should have won 3 times for the ball and got blown up for overcarrying twice.i do agree that some of the ball going in to him was atrocious.
he mixed the good and the bad today. Hes a young lad and id say with the correct strength and conditioning,he can get faster and stronger,theres no question of the ability. As you can see im a big fan of his.
but the forward unit as a whole needs to be worked on immediately as theres no system of dummy runs,checks,diagonal runs and making space.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Drung on February 15, 2009, 09:11:47 PM
To say Carr should quit is completely ludicrous.
He has been manager for five competitive matches, two of which we have won! Is five matches enough to fix two years of rubbish from the Keogan era??
If we get in a new manager, what happens if we lose two more league matches? He should go and we can get someone else in???
Let's talk sense here. The search for the quick fix solution is what we've all said is wrong with Cavan, including you BallyhaiseMan. It takes time to build a winning team. That was Keogan's team today, not Carr's.
I will judge him at the end of this season. Defeat, and the manner of it, is a bitter pill to swallow but let's not be hasty.
On Givney, he set up a couple of points and scored one which was almost a goal. He'll make it in time.

To be honest Drung,Myself and a good few of the board's posters werent thrilled that Tommy Carr was appointed mainly for me because he isnt held in high regard by knowledgeable Dubs ive spoken to or Rossies either.but we gave him the benefit of the doubt.
I wasnt happy with some players being left off the panel(mainly the best full back in Cavan football Eoin Smith of Killygarry)
i believe he has picked too many of the same players that have failed to make the grade under Keoghan,so instead of building a new team,hes just altering slightly the shambles that Keoghan left.
Perhaps you are right,i may be far too hasty in calling for him to quit after 2 games,
but i cant see anything other than relegation to Div 4 after what ive seen so far from him.

anglocelt39

Quote from: REDCOL on February 15, 2009, 05:00:00 PM
Insulting to Tipp & Waterford - Come on they are hurling counties. If the Cavan Hurling Team beat one of their teams the Management would walk out of embarrassment. We are a football county and it is meant to be our number one sport. That performance was shocking and if Tommy Carr cant see that we need a new full back then he should walk. I know we are not in top 15 teams in the country  but a bit of pride please.

Antrim and Waterford are hurling counties as well so, unfortunately, when it comes to ourselves there's a bit of an unfortunate trend forming. We are, indeed, a football county as are leitrim, Longford, Louth etc. Would the world stop revolving if any of those outfits were taken out by Tipp, no. As one sensible poster put it, time to take a few days out folks and revisit things in the cold light of day on Tuesday. Immediate objective is to knuckle down, win three of remaining five games, stay in Div 3 and build from there, not easy but can be done with cool heads.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

Down Sat 7th at 7.30 pm in Newry,next one up.

Club Leagues start in 2 weeks,heres the fixtures

Division 1 Round 1
Redhills v Belturbet
Mullahoran v Lavey
Cavan Gaels v Ballinagh
Cuchulainns v Denn
Kilygarry v Gowna
Crosserlough v Castlerahan
Ramor Utd v Lacken

Div 2

Killeshandra v Crosserlough
Cavan Gaels v Cootehill
Kingscourt v Drumalee
Killinkere v Drumgoon
Drumlane v Ballyhaise
Knockbride v Drung
Ramor Utd v Lacken
Shercock V Kill

Division 3 Round 2
Munterconnacht v Butlersbridge
Templeport v Shannon Gaels
Corlough v Swanlinbar
Cornafean v Kildallon
Laragh Utd v Mountnugent
Bailieboro v Killygarry
Arva v Ballymachugh

Divsion 4-6 including the relegated Maghera start their league the weekend around 14th March

whats my name

ballyhaiseman i rember the 2 times givney was blown up for over carrying they where abit harsh one in the middle of the pitch where he caught a lovely ball took it down hopped it and gave it 2 walsh i can only rember him taking 3 steps and he was blown up and the other one was when he came on to a ball in the forwards and his man had his two arms around him which should of been a free because he wasnt able 2 play the ball in the first place 

BallyhaiseMan

Indeed
They could be considered harsh,
But Givney does have a tendancy to hold onto the ball a second too long and then he gets in trouble and is surrounded,its omething you can get away with at club level,but will get caught out at IC level.
As i said before some of that is because he has to,due to poor support play,but some of it is down to him aswell.
it occured a couple of times against Longford also.
But for me hes one of the bright spots of an otherwise disasterous start to the season.
If he gets good quality ball in(which he didnt today)he will cause mayhem.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2009, 09:47:44 PM
Down Sat 7th at 7.30 pm in Newry,next one up.

Club Leagues start in 2 weeks,heres the fixtures

Division 1 Round 1
Redhills v Belturbet
Mullahoran v Lavey
Cavan Gaels v Ballinagh
Cuchulainns v Denn
Kilygarry v Gowna
Crosserlough v Castlerahan
Div 2

Killeshandra v Crosserlough
Cavan Gaels v Cootehill
Kingscourt v Drumalee
Killinkere v Drumgoon
Drumlane v Ballyhaise
Knockbride v Drung
Ramor Utd v Lacken
Kill a bye

Division 3 Round 2
Munterconnacht v Butlersbridge
Templeport v Shannon Gaels
Corlough v Swanlinbar
Cornafean v Kildallon
Laragh Utd v Mountnugent
Bailieboro v Killygarry
Arva v Ballymachugh

Divsion 4-6 including the relegated Maghera start their league the weekend around 14th March

Those fixtures for divisio 2 aren't right. There is only 14 teams in it, so no one has a bye. Ramor aren't in that division anymore either
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

shercock v kill in Div 2

Ramor/Lacken in Div 1.

my bad,poor cut and paste job.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2009, 10:18:43 PM
Indeed
They could be considered harsh,
But Givney does have a tendancy to hold onto the ball a second too long and then he gets in trouble and is surrounded,its omething you can get away with at club level,but will get caught out at IC level.
As i said before some of that is because he has to,due to poor support play,but some of it is down to him aswell.
it occured a couple of times against Longford also.
But for me hes one of the bright spots of an otherwise disasterous start to the season.
If he gets good quality ball in(which he didnt today)he will cause mayhem.

I agree with that he is always border line when it comes to over carrying.  He seems to have to stop and think when he gets the ball which wont cut it at this high a level  :-\.   I dont know if that can be coached out of him but he is far to slow and wont cut it this year.

Maybe the wont cut it this year is a bit harsh because he is as good as the rest of them but he needs to work on his sharpness.

cavan4sam

Lads, I couldn't make it to the game yesterday but by the sound of the reaction here, this must have been an absolutley terrible performance. No offence intended to Tipp people but this must be our lowest point since the defeat to Waterford. At least we can look at it this way, the only way is up, because it cant get much worse!!

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavan4sam on February 16, 2009, 09:25:14 AM
Lads, I couldn't make it to the game yesterday but by the sound of the reaction here, this must have been an absolutley terrible performance. No offence intended to Tipp people but this must be our lowest point since the defeat to Waterford. At least we can look at it this way, the only way is up, because it cant get much worse!!

We could go through the whole league with out a win. 

cavan4sam

You know where im coming from though, Tipp are supposedly the worse team in the division.

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on February 15, 2009, 01:35:10 PM
QuoteI wasnt at any of the games... There were alot of lads who could have got the chop that werent playing well

How do you know?

McCormack's man, Ciaran Close, scored 0-5 from play in Belfast. That was the game which lost him his place. Good lad and good club player but county player? No.
Just because I couldnt go to the matches doesnt mean I dont get a run-down of things.I have been going to Cavan games for 20 years but when you see the same old shit happening over and over you just get sick of it all TBH.The interest just isnt there anymore.Il play with my club and give it my all but my days of following Cavan down to Ardfinnan and Dungarvan are over.
Im not saying that Enda should b starting with the County at the moment but give him time and he would be good enough.The lad was given a few games to prove himself.With the training and experience he would only have improved.There are some players on the Cavan panel who have been there for SIX seasons and still havent proven themselves to be an Inter-County footballer.That shit doesnt go on in successfull counties.Its no wonder Tipp are beating us.As a county at least they know what it takes to be successful.
BH Man, I think calling for Tommy Carrs head is a bit premature TBH but in the end I dont think it matters.
Red n Black Im sorry to say but your wasting your time thinking you can change things.I have been involved in my club at coaching for the last few years and Im only 24 and still playing.Ideally players should be let play and ex-players or parents should look after Underage in a club but its not happeneing.Parents or anybody else for that matter just don't wanna give up their time anymore.If one good thing comes out of this recession it is that maybe some people mite dedicate more of their free time(because there should be lots) to Coaching young lads.

cavan4ever

Anyone going to head to Newry in two weeks?

Drung

I was at all the three McKenna Cup matches and McCormack was poor in all - when I saw his direct opponents scored 0-5 against Antrim (and got in for a goal whioch he fluffed), the writing was on the wall.
In fairness, he shouldnt have been left on Close for the whole match that day.