Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher link=topic=53.msg437541#msg437541 date=122943486h3
Midfielders look a bit thin on the ground there. Where is that McDonald lad from Drumgoon. He did ok as a late arrival in the summer (minus the months of county training). Would a run in the McKenna cup be good for him? Maybe he is not interested.

If he is not interested he should not be there.  He walked out last year so i don't know if the commitment will be there, he has also started out a new business venture which may not help matters either.

Homer

Looks like Darren Rabbitte is missing too

Anyone know if Forde or Rabbitte have opted-out through choice or injury?

boojangles

Quote from: Homer on December 16, 2008, 02:49:16 PM
Looks like Darren Rabbitte is missing too

Anyone know if Forde or Rabbitte have opted-out through choice or injury?
Im not sure what the story on Forde is, I heard after the Kildare defeat he said he was packing it in.He mite be just having a bit of a break,which he fully deserves and it may do him the world of good.Rabbitte may not have impressed.
I mightnt always be his number one fan but I feel Daragh Gaffney has been hard done by.For once his reputation may have been his downfall.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 16, 2008, 01:58:58 PM
I think McDonald suffers from the chronic problem of not being good enough... a decent club footballer but it's some step up to inter county level especially in mid field

I don't know the lads situation but in terms of being good enough, is he any worse than Cunningham or mulvey?

Celt_Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 16, 2008, 08:49:03 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on December 16, 2008, 01:58:58 PM
I think McDonald suffers from the chronic problem of not being good enough... a decent club footballer but it's some step up to inter county level especially in mid field

I don't know the lads situation but in terms of being good enough, is he any worse than Cunningham or mulvey?

No definitely not but that would lead a man to ask why are they there so?  But I suppose what else is there? Therein lies the problem...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tierworker blue

Decent squad. Fingers crossed and all that. Here we go again folks...!

cavanmaniac

Rabbitte is a big omission, I can only assume he didn't impress. I don't like the looks of us for full back or midfield, but sure that's the way it has been for years.

Forde, I would reckon, will come back into the panel after missing the early rounds of the league. He strikes me as the type to extract as much as he can from himself in his intercounty career. Just a guess.

boojangles

Quote from: cavanmaniac on December 17, 2008, 11:04:14 AM
Rabbitte is a big omission, I can only assume he didn't impress. I don't like the looks of us for full back or midfield, but sure that's the way it has been for years.

Forde, I would reckon, will come back into the panel after missing the early rounds of the league. He strikes me as the type to extract as much as he can from himself in his intercounty career. Just a guess.
Exactly my thinkings Maniac,I think maybe in the long run we mite be better trying Rory Dunne at midfield and hopefully he adapts.In the long run he is a better option than Cunningham(dont know how he even made the panel,he said he wasnt going in) or Mulvey.He is tall,can catch a ball,can defend and attack and most importantly he can pass a ball.He may not be ready yet but he has the potential.The other options have been tried countless times.

cavanmaniac

I'm intrigued to see Tierney back though. Fingers crossed something doesn't snap on him again, he's a serious option if he can put any sort of a run of games together. We had him operating in the full-forward role under Coleman, mostly picking up chest-high ball in the channel through the number 6 and 3 positions, had a serious burst of pace out of the traps for such a hefty lad and was leaving a lot of leaner full-backs sitting. I presume that's where he'll get a run, in the 'Mad Eddie' role... ;), especially if McCabe is still being deployed about the middle. But make no mistake, a fit and functioning Tierney could transform our attack, gives us options high and low. Let's not put too many eggs in the Tierney basket yet though, eh?

Also intrigued to see Pierson return. Everything you hear suggests he's lazy and disinterested, yet he keeps coming back. It's odd. Hopefully, TC can get inside his head and coax some performances out of him to take the pressure of Johnston. (Who might be heading off again this summer, no objections from me because at least he's announcing it early and letting the team prepare in advance).

It's all starting again, just a few more weeks. These new yellow card rules will take a bit of getting used to. I just hope they stop persistent fouling like they're supposed to, and not just further erode the physicality of the game, Lord knows it's watered down enough with all the whistling as it is.

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan provisional squad 2009:

Goalkeepers: James Reilly (Drung), Eoghan Elliot (Cavan Gaels), Brian Coleman (Castlerahan)

Defenders: Michael Brides (Oliver Plunkett's), Johnny Crowe (Crosserlough), John McCutcheon (Cootehill), Keith Fannin, Michael Hannon (Drumgoon), Mark McKeever (Gowna), Padraig O'Reilly (Ballinagh), Barry Watters (Drung), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Eamonn Reilly (Cavan Gaels), Paul Brady, Dermot Sheridan (Mullahoran), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), Martin Cahill (Denn), Dane O'Dowd (Drumlane), Enda McCormack, Gary Ferncombe (Drumalee)

Midifelders: Dermot McCabe (Gowna), Ciaran Galligan (Drung), Nicholas Walsh (Cavan Gaels), Lorcan Mulvey (Butlersbridge), John Cunningham (Swanlinbar)

Forwards: Raymond Galligan (Lacken), John Tierney (Knockbride), David Givney (Mountnugent), Micheál Lyng, Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels), Gerard Pierson (Gowna), Anton O'Reilly (Ramor Utd), James Clarke (Kilinkere), Ronan O'Reilly (Kildallan), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Paddy Gumley (Redhills), Jason O'Reilly (Belturbet), Sean Brady, Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Conor Smith (Cuchullains), Eddie O'Reilly (Mullahoran), Ray Cullivan (Ballyhaise)

Podge or Rory Dunne only real options at full back,

Midfielders, 2 from Ciaran Galligan/McCabe/Walsh/ and maybe Anton Reily.

Forwards,
more height and phyisque in there than past Cavan forward lines,
David Givney,Ronan Reily , John Tierney and Anton Reily are all Big Men.

Like the look of the panel. we will be missing 14 of those lads for the McKenna Cup due to colleges.

mylestheslasher

Wheres Anthony Gaynor - did he not play in those regionals?

BallyhaiseMan

Homer

did Gaynor play much football with B'nagh this year?

do much training etc??

i was thinkining maybe  lack of match practice and general fitness might be one of the reasons Carr overlooked him? or maybe Tommy has heard the stories and has decided not to risk it.

Celt_Man

2009 ACFL fixtures confirmed
17 December 2008

The fixtures for next year's All County Football Leagues have been confirmed, throwing up some interesting first round ties.

Divisions One through Three will kick-off on the weekend of February 28-March 1, and sees 21 games in all taking place across the county.

Arguably, the pick of the games comes in Division One, where former Ulster intermediate champions Ballinagh travel to Terry Coyle Park to take on the might of Cavan Gaels. Both sides have served up some cracking league encounters in the past, and the visitors will be keen to make a good start given that they must play all their games away from home this season as a result of the suspension handed down to them this past summer by the Cavan CCC.

In Division Two, the opening day sees the four sides relegated from the top tier over the past two season's face-off against one another. Kingscourt will host Drumalee and Mickey Graham's Ballyhaise travel to O'Connell Park looking for a good start against west Cavan side Drumlane.

Killygarry's second string begin their new life in the county's third section by welcoming Laragh United, who narrowly missed out on promotion back to Division Two this year, to Crubany, while another interesting clash is set to take place the same weekend between Butlersbridge and Ballymachugh at Emmet Park.

The first two rounds of Division One, Two and Three will hoped to be complete before Divisions Four through Six commence on March 15. Incidentally, '09 will see Division Six being played as a 13-a-side competition, as was revealed earlier in the month at a county committee meeting.

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that next year's Hotel Kilmore Championships have been scheduled for a much earlier start of June 11, as opposed to this year when they threw-in on July 24. The draws for next year's three championships are expected to take place at next February's meeting of the County Board.

Round One of the ACFL Divisions One through Six are as follows:

Division One (February 28-March 1)

Cavan Gaels v Ballinagh
Cuchullains v Denn
Killygarry v Gowna
Crosserlough v Castlerahan
Mullahoran v Lavey
Redhills v Belturbet
Ramor v Lacken

Division Two (February 28-March 1)

Killeshandra v Crosserlough
Cavan Gaels v Cootehill
Kingscourt v Drumalee
Kilinkere v Drumgoon
Drumlane v Ballyhaise
Knockbride v Drung
Shercock v Kill

Division Three (February 28-March 1)

Butlersbridge v Ballymachugh
Shannon Gaels v Munterconnaught
Swanlinbar v Templeport
Kildallan v Corlough
Mountnugent v Cornafean
Killygarry v Laragh
Bailieborough v Arva

Division Four (March 15)

Drumlane v Ballinagh
Cuchullains v Denn
Maghera v Gowna
Mullahoran V Castlerahan
Kingscourt v Drumalee
Knockbride v Belturbet

Division Five (March 15)

Knockbride v Lacken
Kildallan v Templeport
Redhills v Ballyhaise
Kilinkere v Drumgoon
Lavey v Laragh
Shercock v Cootehill
Bailieborough bye

Division Six (March 15)

Butlersbridge v Ballymachugh
Shannon Gaels v Munterconnaught
Swanlinbar v Kill
Killeshandra v Drung
Mountnugent v Cornafean
Killygarry v Maghera
Kilinkere v Arva
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

Can people post what they reckon there club manger is getting paid in expenses. 

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavan4ever on December 18, 2008, 12:15:40 PM
Can people post what they reckon there club manger is getting paid in expenses.  wages