Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 22, 2007, 06:25:16 PM
fully expect Ballinagh to win the Ulster Inter on Sunday,

Ballinagh are a good Senior league team and will be challenging the Gaels dominance within two years in the senior championship.

Cheers BallyhaiseMan, no pressure or anything like  :P  ;D

You're right about that hoganstand crowd though. Read some very informative posts there today so just to catch up...

- Congratulations to Paul Galligan on his 1997 Ulster medal.

- Fair play to our two county representatives this year.

- And kudos to the lads on beating Cavan Gaels last month

:D

shotstopper1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 22, 2007, 06:25:16 PM
fully expect Ballinagh to win the Ulster Inter on Sunday,

Ballinagh are a good Senior league team and will be challenging the Gaels dominance within two years in the senior championship.

like ourselves they have constantly underacheived with the talent they have at their disposal.

It seems they have now got their act together.

Been out of the clique for a while,as havent been around our club scene since the Belturbet game,

who are the new men on the county panel etc etc

I agree that Ballinagh seem to be the team to challenge the gaels in the next few years.they have a very talented bunch of players at the moment.They had a good enough squad for the last few years with Gaynor,Gumley, Durkin,McInerney etc, but now with the introduction of the youngsters, the Reillys ,McDermotts,Smiths, etc., they have a team to hold their own in future years in the senior league & championship.
BHM , Don't think ye have underachieved , just haven't had a talented forward who could score 6/7 points or the equalivent in a game ever since big Gerry retired.

Best of luck to Ballinagh on Sunday

BallyhaiseMan

CONGRATULATIONS to Ballinagh, Ulster Intermediate Club Champions 2007,
Once again i was proven right with my prediction  :P  ;D
You've done your parish and your county proud lads.

Be wary of the Galway Champions,Paul Clancy's team though,they seem to be a tasty outfit.

Im guessing the semi final will be after Christmas,One game away from Croker.

mylestheslasher

Very well done to ballinagh. Also well done to Killeshandra on beating the gaels in the division 3 league final. Great season for both clubs.

LackenLegend

Fair play to yis lads. Doing your county proud!
Timmmmy!

cavanmaniac

Enjoy the hangover Homer and well done to Ballinagh, at last a little bright spot in a dull season for Cavan football ;D

shotstopper1

Congrats to Ballinagh also.Their 6 starting forwards scored and also young Bun who came on as a sub got on the scoresheet

Report from the Indo,

Ballinagh battle to victory in cracking final
Ballinagh 2-11 Dunloy 2-3

Ballinagh won most of the battles in a real war of attrition to lift the Patrick McCully Cup after a cracking Ulster club IFC final clash with Dunloy at Omagh.

It was a day when the Cavan champions' big guns came good to blow a less than dynamic Dunloy out of the water in front of 1,226 fans in Healy Park.

Rising star Niall McDermott and former county ace Paul Galligan both chipped in with 1-2 while gamekeeper turned poacher Anthony Gaynor played the target-man role to a tee.

In contrast, Dunloy were as dismal up front as the afternoon itself.

Dunloy flattered to deceive and even the leg-up of a 2nd minute goal by Kevin McAllister failed to hoist them onto the same level as their more fluid opponents.

The lights remained stuck on green for Ballinagh as the first half progressed and a 21st minute belter by McDermott helped propel the would-be champions into a 1-5 to 1-0 lead.

Things got progressively better for the Saffrons with Paul Galligan cantering his way past a brace of powder-puff tackles before rattling the back of the Dunloy net from 12 metres.

The Glensmen from Dunloy seemed to have grabbed a lifeline in the 41st minute when Brendan McGarry goaled after great approach work by Brendan Marron, Kevin McQuillan and Jerome McAllister which cut Ballinagh's lead to a more manageable six points.

The Antrim champions desperately needed a third goal to get themselves out of jail but, instead, it was the leaders who finished with a flourish with Anthony Gaynor, Kevin Smith and Colin Gumley all pointing to seal an impressive, and ultimately comfortable, win for the Cavan men.

SCORERS -- Ballinagh: C Gumley (0-3, two frees), D Beard (0-1), D Finnegan; N McDermott (1-2), A Gaynor (0-2, one 45), P Galligan (1-2), K Smith (0-1). Dunloy: B McGarry (1-1), A McAllister (0-1), K McAllister (1-0), D McGarry (0-1).

Ballinagh-- D McCarthy; K McBride, P Carroll, A Duffy; N O'Reilly, P O'Reilly, D McInerney; A Maguire, C McDermott; C Gumley, D Beard, D Finnegan; N McDermott, A Gaynor, P Galligan. Subs: K Smith for D Finnegan; T Smith for D Beard; R Brennan for N McDermott; T Moore for P Galligan;C Brady for N McDermott.

Dunloy -- G McIlfatrick; C Brogan, C McKinley, D Webb; B Murphy, P Shivers, C Cunning; J McAleese, G McAllister; B McGarry, AMcAllister, D Birt; K McAllister, K McQuillan, Jn McFerran. Subs: C Cunning for D Birt; B Marron for P Shivers; J McAllister for B Murphy; D McGarry for J McAleese; S Boyle for C Brogan.

CavanCola

I see the "Johnny-come-lately" Lads on bebo have stolen the campagin started on gaaboard.com to reintroduce the "nectar of the gods". I'm personally not impressed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7118861.stm

Campaign to bring back Cavan Cola 

The cola's popularity soon spread throughout Ireland
Fans of an Irish soft drink have launched a campaign to get it back onto shop shelves.
Cavan Cola became a cult favourite during the 1980s and was stocked in stores across Ireland before being withdrawn.

However, the drive to resurrect it has been given impetus with a new online campaign.

Cavan Cola first hit the shelves in County Cavan in 1984 and its popularity soon spread throughout Ireland.

The dark cola had a frothy burnt brown head when poured and had a distinctive taste which apparently set it apart from similar drinks.

'Defines refreshment'

In the mid-1990s, owners Cavan Mineral Water began phasing out the drink, and by 2001 it had disappeared from most shops.

Hundreds of people have now backed the 'Bring Back Cavan Cola' campaign.

It is being spearheaded by Don Leahy on the social networking site Bebo.

T-shirts have been made backing the campaign

He said: "Cavan Cola is a forgotten symbol of what Cavan stood for - Cavan Cola defines refreshment, coolness and vintage Cavan culture.

"It has been sorely missed. No more Cavan children should have to grow up not being able to drink Cavan Cola from the brown bottle with a bag of Tayto (crisps)."

The drink is also featured on online encyclopedia Wikipedia and T-shirts have been made backing the campaign.

LackenLegend

I see the "Johnny-come-lately" Lads on bebo have stolen the campagin started on gaaboard.com to reintroduce the "nectar of the gods". I'm personally not impressed.

Firstly, id like to say im sorry your campaign was hijacked but i suppose the end justifies the means as they say.

Secondly, im amused at what i heard on the sports bulletin (can't remember who or what radio station) that its great relief that the strike was averted and the playing season can go ahead. That would assume that it wouldn't go ahead if this current crop of players refused to play. The GAA wouldn't have crumbled because of this. Ok fair enough, in marketing the game it might lose out if players like the Gooch, for example, weren't available. However, there are so many players who could be unearthed to play at this level and may be well fit to do so. I believe that in this county it might not be such a bad thing. Current players are not playing to their potential and maybe its due to resting on their laurels and getting too comfortable in their status. Constant competition for places is whats needed and it improves everybody. I like the idea of this regional competition as it gives players a chance to show themselves playing alongside good quality players and good opposition. Where a star of a 'middle of the road team' may get a call in to the county and fail, he now has a chance to see how he can compete and cooperate with good quality players. Anyone agree/disagree?

Furthermore, i was impressed to see Lacken stalwarts and young supporting Ballinagh in their Ulster final win. I, for one, didn't go to the match to support them as im not a Ballinagh supporter but im happy they won and fair play to them. Doing the county proud. It's great to see the Lacken/Ballinagh hatred is over, although a healthy rivalry is maintained and who would wan't it any other way!  
Timmmmy!

shotstopper1

QuoteCavan Cola first hit the shelves in County Cavan in 1984

Cavan Cola was around long before 1984,it's unlikely to be resurrected as its inventor has sadly passed away and (supposely) brought the recipe to his grave.

mylestheslasher

Wouldn't it be great to resurrect the fizzy black stuff. We could all have brown rings around our lips again. We could ditch Kingspan and be sponsored by Cavan Cola and we could rename Breffni to Cavan Cola Breffni Park. I bet we could get a few extra gears out of Larry if he was put on a Cavan Cola diet but we'd have to keep it away from Mad Eddie or it would drive him Bananas altogether. If that lad brought it to his grave it is time to start exhuming...

BallyhaiseMan

Mad Eddie would be climbing the stand in Breffini if he got whiff of Cavan Cola.

See a list of new or old recalled players supposedly in with the county on Hoganstand,truth or fiction lads?

Eddie

Finbar Reily

Mark Johnson(Cornafean)

Austin Fitzpatrick(Killeshandra)

Gavin Doyle(Arva)

Niall Madden(Gowna)

and Messiour Gaynor.

mylestheslasher

I can confirm that Mark Johnson and Austin Fitzpatrick are on there but I think U21 and seniors are training together and there will be a cull of the panel in a few weeks.

Homer

Only getting chance to post now after a bit of a hectic week there.

Tremendous stuff from the Ballinagh lads last week, words do not express the joy and pride felt while watching them battle their way to victory in an Ulster final. They really did play like men possessed and Dunloy just didn't have any answer for them. The scenes on the pitch and back in Ballinagh on Sunday night will stay with me forever. Well the bits I can remember anyway  :P

The Leinster IFC final; Ashbourne/Donaghmore Vs Fingal Ravens takes place next weekend, with Ballinagh meeting the champions in February.

I can also confirm that Gaynor, Eddie and Finbar have indeed been recalled. Cian McDermott was also called in but, to my great disappointment, has turned down the opportunity.

A few u21 games played over the weekend:
Cavan Gaels will meet Castlerahen in this years Division 1 final after defeating Lurgan and Cuchulainns respectively.
Lavey overcame Cootehill to reach the Division 2 final where they await the winners of Ballinagh and Baileborough who meet next weekend.

Finally belated congratulations to Killeshandra, Cavan Gaels and Killygarry on their respective titles last weekend.

Hollow Man

Ballinagh U21s in div2? what a joke

i suppose thye only have podge, niall o reilly, kevin smith, niall mcdermott, paddy carroll, tom moore ...

ridiculous