Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

What happened Mooney?

As I see it you stick Damien Reilly Ctr Back. Cillian Clarke Midfield with Dec McKiernan. McDermott Ctr Forward with Martin Reilly and maybe Niall Smith beside him. Keating, Dunne and Tierney in FF line.

Awful lot of change if these stories are true.

rodney trotter

Mooney doesn't seem to have much luck with injuries

comeysfield

Not sure with Mooney but he had to have an Op so does sound good for the poor lad, so sounds like our strength in depth will be tested and balancing between Senior and U21

cavanman

Mooney had an accident while doing weights, had to have emergency surgery.

Westside

Big blow to lose so many, really unsettles the side going into a tough game and takes away a few of our tougher most experienced lads. A tough ask just became a lot tougher.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 07, 2014, 04:10:29 PM
What happened Mooney?

As I see it you stick Damien Reilly Ctr Back. Cillian Clarke Midfield with Dec McKiernan. McDermott Ctr Forward with Martin Reilly and maybe Niall Smith beside him. Keating, Dunne and Tierney in FF line.

Awful lot of change if these stories are true.

That would be a very weak midfield i'd say Argue would be ahead of McKiernan.

cavanman

Cavan team

Conor Gilsenan

Joshua Hayes Rory Dunne Killian Brady
James McEnroe Damien O Reilly Fergal Flanagan

David Givney Declan McKiernan

Niall McDermott Michael Lyng Martin Reilly
Martin Dunne Eugene Keating Kevin Tierney

Itchy

Terry normally doesn't bother with messing about naming fake teams so I imagine that one is genuine. Seems not as many injuries as was thought. Looks a decent team.

cavanforever

Givney is definitely out although named in the team

mylestheslasher

Bit of a worry today if Givney is also out. Argue will probably come in there but as good a prospect that he is he is still very inexperienced at this level. I know Damian Reilly is also a fine player but Clarke has owned the Ctr Half position and knows what is expected from him, Damian will be less familiar. Given all this I think this will be a tight one and I wouldnt be surprised if it went either way by a point or two.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 09, 2014, 10:28:25 AM
Bit of a worry today if Givney is also out. Argue will probably come in there but as good a prospect that he is he is still very inexperienced at this level. I know Damian Reilly is also a fine player but Clarke has owned the Ctr Half position and knows what is expected from him, Damian will be less familiar. Given all this I think this will be a tight one and I wouldnt be surprised if it went either way by a point or two.

I would be worried myself i have critisid Givney in the past but he has improved again this year and will be a hugh loss.  A couple of weeks on and we would have Gearoid.  If we break even at midfield today i think we will win.

Denn Forever

Good win today.  Any reports on the  game?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

I'd be delighted to give you a report Denn Forever.

Cavan lined out as follows. Gilsenan, K Clarke, R Dunne, Hayes, D Reilly, McEnroe, Flanagan, D McKiernan, Argue, Gunner, McDermott, M Reilly, Dunne, Keating, Tierney.

Cavan started really well with the breeze, put together some great moves. Tierney was in for a goal early on but his right footed shot just went over the bar. After that Dunne & Keating kicked some fine scores. Dunne in particular was in lethal form of both feet, from tight and angles and even a big one from out the field. Cavan were 7 nil up and then went to sleep. Offaly got a foothold in the middle and Niall McNamee got two quick points, within 30s of him kicking Dunne in front of the ref and linesman and not getting the red he deserved or the yellow. Incidentally the ref from Mayo was very poor I thought and he gave  Offaly some lovely handy frees to get back into contention 9-5 at half time. Second half we started well, Keating got a nice point and then when Offal came out with the ball Argue turned it over, he gave in to Dunne who drew the keeper and ofloaded to keating who kicked it into the empty net (bit like the London game last year except he scored this one!) the rest of the half was poor stuff, lots of turn over and no end product. Offaly drove loads of high balls in but Clarke and Dunne dealt easily with it.

Overall a good two points but we need to start burying teams like Offaly. They were a poor team with few ideas. Best for us was Josh Hayes I thought, put in a mighty shift. Argue did very well at Midfield and Martin Reilly worked hard. We were solid at the back in general and never really looked in danger of losing. Looking at todays results it seems Wexford can't be that good and if we get a few lads back we should give them a good run.

Interestingly I think all out scores today were from play.

rodney trotter

Wexford have have losts a few players from last year, Lee Chin concentrating on Hurling this year, he was a very good player in defence for Wexford at half back, David Murphy who was centre back for a number of years has retired and Red Barry a quality forward has also retired, so they are not as strong as other years. With the couple of weeks break there should be a few players back for Cavan, Wexford will still be a decent outfit with Ciaran Lyng, Brosnan, PJ Banville but I think we can beat them down in Wexford and be in a great chance of promotion.

mylestheslasher

What did you think of the ref yesterday Rodney. I thought he was cat. Seemed to be working off a different set of rules to everyone else. A few times a Cavan man went to ground and it was ok for an Offaly player to lie on top of him. Two ridiculous frees given against Rory Dunne. Blatant red card for Mcnammee and he didnt even get a booking, even worse he just had a wee chat with him. Niall McDermott was almost killed with a few very heavy tackles but got no frees. He was the same lad that was ref when we played Cork in the U21's and I thought he did us no favours that day either. Hopefully we won't see him again.

One bit of skill I forgot to mention above was Martin Dunnes ball to McDermott for his missed goal chance. It was an incredible pass, McDermott didnt even have to stretch for it and it was a bad bad miss that he didnt bury it. He only had to side step the keeper and roll it in.