Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie

Donegal's league campaign wasn't much better than ours all be it that they were playing in a higher division. Also Murphy isn't expected to be fit for them so it might give our lads a bit more incentive and belief on the day.

Westside

I see Johnston was in the Kildare dugout today. Also, Mickey Brennan tweeted that he was informed Thursday night that his inter county career was over so there must be cuts from the panel. Sorry to see Mickey go though, a good lad.

PhilsJemmysField

Has Johnston transfer being confirmed

Think a good few of the U21 lads were called into the senior squad. All we can do is hope really

cogito

New Cavan senior boss Terry Hyland wasted no time in making changes to his senior panel, releasing six players last week and calling up six more.
Michael Brennan, Sean McCormack, Ciaran Galligan, Declan Meehan, Colm Courtney and James McDonald have all parted company with the panel as the new manager seeks to get plans in place for the Donegal clash in Kingspan Breffni Park on May 20.

And experienced defender John McCutcheon, who left the panel in early February after receiving no game time under Val Andrews, has been recalled along with five members of the successful Ulster U21-winning team, namely Jason McLoughlin, Jack Brady, Killian Clarke, Feargal Flanagan and Kevin Tierney.

Tierney scored 3-18 in four matches for the U21s while defender Clarke was Cavan's man of the match in the 2011 Ulster MFC final and this year's provincial U21 decider.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/new-boss-hyland-wields-axe-in-cavan-192508.html#ixzz1thWpHidc

Westside

Surprised to see McLoughlin and Clarke called in. McLoughlin especially is very light, the thoughts of either of them marking Murphy, McBrearty or McFadden doesn't inspire much hope. That said, the experience of being involved with the squad will do them no harm.

PhilsJemmysField

Cavan's Michael Brennan has wished the county team all the best after he was cut from the panel this week.

The Drumalee footballer, who hails from Co Meath has been part of the squad for the past six years, but this week was told by new manager Terry Hyland that he was surplus to requirements.

Brennan has no regrets from his time with Cavan and he believes that Hyland is the man to bring the Ulster side forward.

"It's going to be disappointing, they're a great bunch of lads but I an 100% behind Terry, I have the utmost respect for him," Brennan explained to the Anglo-Celt.

"I know it wasn't an easy phone call for him to make, he even said to me on the phone 'I know how much this means to you and how much you love playing for Cavan', but just the couple of injuries that I picked up, he says 'we won't have you ready for four weeks time.

"I wouldn't regret any of it, It's been the most amazing journey and the time of my life and it's been such an honour to get the a chance to wear the jersey."

Fair play if you are being cut at least go down with a bit of respect

mylestheslasher

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on May 03, 2012, 02:13:18 PM
Cavan's Michael Brennan has wished the county team all the best after he was cut from the panel this week.

The Drumalee footballer, who hails from Co Meath has been part of the squad for the past six years, but this week was told by new manager Terry Hyland that he was surplus to requirements.

Brennan has no regrets from his time with Cavan and he believes that Hyland is the man to bring the Ulster side forward.

"It's going to be disappointing, they're a great bunch of lads but I an 100% behind Terry, I have the utmost respect for him," Brennan explained to the Anglo-Celt.

"I know it wasn't an easy phone call for him to make, he even said to me on the phone 'I know how much this means to you and how much you love playing for Cavan', but just the couple of injuries that I picked up, he says 'we won't have you ready for four weeks time.

"I wouldn't regret any of it, It's been the most amazing journey and the time of my life and it's been such an honour to get the a chance to wear the jersey."

Fair play if you are being cut at least go down with a bit of respect

I've always liked Michael Brennan as a player (without ever knowing him) and he has gone up further in my estimation now. If only some others had his attitude!

Westside

Mickey Brennan leased a pub in my neck of the woods a few years back. A class act and a gent to his fingertips in any dealings I had with him. Sorry to see him go, I have no doubt he was a good influence within the panel. He probably wasn't given a fair run at things, deserved to play more than he did in the past 2 years in my opinion. Thanks for the efforts Mickey and fair play for bowing out whilst showing respect to the supporters and to Cavan.

boojangles

I obviously echo the opinions of Phil, Westside and Myles regarding Mickey. Always gave 100% for Cavan no matter where he was played and was always delighted to just be involved. He was a late developer, having not played much football when he was younger but I reckon he could have made an outstanding full-forward for Cavan had he been playing there earlier. We seen glimpes of it 2 years ago but unfortunately we never got to see his full potential IMO. Still one of the top midfielders in the county, knowing Mickey he could still be playing for Drumalee in 5 or 6 years.

CC1

Totally agree, Mickey is a gent and a great personality.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

rodney trotter

He is a sound fella and a good player. Don't know why they never gave him a run in midfield. He was always play with there with his Club. Even this year when Mckiernan got injured he was never given a run. He was good a servant for Cavan football.

Ollie

Always thought brennan was never given enough game time. Dont think full forward ever suited him. He made a big sacrafice leaving his home club and commiting to drumalee and cavan. Goes to show a change of scenery can prosper some footballers.

TheThirdManning

Would agree that I was suprised he never got  chance for Cavan in and around the middle. Especially considering after McKiernan and Givney we literally have nobody!

scoopmine

Looks like time is running out for the Seanie transfer. If it does not go through he will jet off for the summer.

Open night for the county tomorrow. Heard nothing about preperations hoping we have a gameplan and give Donegal a lash!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: scoopmine on May 10, 2012, 02:32:41 PM
Looks like time is running out for the Seanie transfer. If it does not go through he will jet off for the summer.

Open night for the county tomorrow. Heard nothing about preperations hoping we have a gameplan and give Donegal a lash!

Surely as an integral part of the Kildare panel, as evident from him parading around croke park with them after the League final, he would stay the course and train with them for the rest of the summer?

As for Donegal, we live in hope but I can't see how we can win this game. I just hope the lads do their best and as you say we play to some sort of sensible plan.