Quote from: David McKeown on January 08, 2022, 06:47:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 06, 2022, 03:11:25 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 06, 2022, 01:59:50 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 06, 2022, 01:41:33 PM
Maxwell verdict could very well be thrown out

Looks like a juror may not have been honest on the questionnaire
A new jury of ordinary people would also find her guilty, surely

I wouldn't bet on that happening

Issues on double jeaporardy may also arise.
Double jeopardy issues might arise if the prosecution was acting in bad faith  which is not the case here. Considering the high profile of this case it would most probably go to a retrial  unless of course the fix was in.  You'd wonder  if Ghislaine sleeps soundly at night  in the knowldge that the  deep dark protectors of state security  are not going to end her life while the prison guards are absent under dubious circumstance.

whitey

Quote from: Main Street on January 09, 2022, 02:33:21 AM

Double jeopardy issues might arise if the prosecution was acting in bad faith  which is not the case here. Considering the high profile of this case it would most probably go to a retrial  unless of course the fix was in.  You'd wonder  if Ghislaine sleeps soundly at night  in the knowldge that the  deep dark protectors of state security  are not going to end her life while the prison guards are absent under dubious circumstance.

Now they think a third juror was a victim of child sexual abuse

This verdict is going to get tossed

seafoid

Say it's a retrial. What line can the defence take? Attacking the credibility of the witnesses crashed and burned. Maidwell can hardly justify her actions.

nrico2006

On a side note, apparently Roberts is not entertaining any kind of payment from Prince Andrew and wants it to go to trial if the judge points them in that direction, which looks likely.  In saying that, one of the witnesses from Maxwells trial, who was brought into the fold by Roberts, has revealed some interesting details on Roberts and how she may not be the victim she is trying to make herself out to be.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2022, 09:01:51 AM
Say it's a retrial. What line can the defence take? Attacking the credibility of the witnesses crashed and burned. Maidwell can hardly justify her actions.

There's no guarantee with any of these trials

Who knows, what may come out between now and the beginning of a new trial ?

As much as I hate her, she is entitled to a fair trial. 3 jurors lying on the most important question on the questionnaire (if it's proven) is shocking to say the least.

If they had all maintained their silence, that would be one thing, but for that big mouth to come public like he did is just outrageous

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on January 09, 2022, 12:14:15 PM

As much as I hate her, she is entitled to a fair trial. 3 jurors lying on the most important question on the questionnaire (if it's proven) is shocking to say the least.

If they had all maintained their silence, that would be one thing, but for that big mouth to come public like he did is just outrageous
It's a slam dunk regardless. Juries are made up or ordinary people. Child trafficking is abhorrent.

David McKeown

Quote from: Main Street on January 09, 2022, 02:33:21 AM

Yeah I was trying to type in a hurry there.  What I meant is there could be arguments over double jeopardy issues which even if likely to be unsuccessful mean that its not just as easy as saying lets have a retiral.  I would imagine the defence also arguing it is far more difficult to get a fair trial now as you need a jury unaware of the previous result.  All that said the US system is much keener on kicking cases out on double jeopardy issues than we are here so its also not a given that they wouldn't be successful.  Its been more than 15 years since I did a federal case though so my memory may be a bit hazy on that one.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2022, 01:29:00 PM

It's a slam dunk regardless. Juries are made up or ordinary people. Child trafficking is abhorrent.

Not necessarily

You only need one juror to have a doubt for the whole thing to get tossed out

The likelihood of such a juror existing just increased exponentially if this first one is a mistrial

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on January 09, 2022, 03:07:30 PM

Not necessarily

The likelihood of such a juror existing just increased exponentially if this first one is a mistrial
The likelihood of one juror being a paedophile is pretty low.
Maxwell's team cost USD7m and are desperate.

whitey

So having a doubt makes one a Paedo....interesting

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2022, 03:34:02 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 09, 2022, 03:07:30 PM

Not necessarily

The likelihood of one juror being a paedophile is pretty low.
Maxwell's team cost USD7m and are desperate.
The queen has an open chequebook on this one.  As David Mc alluded to, the defence will try every stunt so that it will end here and not go to a retrial.

yellowcard

I see Lizzie must have got the cheque book out. Its probably not a major surprise as the whole system is rotten but that is what privilege will buy you.

quit yo jibbajabba

I heard that it wasnt a huge surprise as in the US 95%of civil cases reach settlements out of court. Same time she had said she wanted her day in court and it wouldve been great to see him squirm/sweat a bit....

Capt Pat

What does this mean now for Andrews reputation and his position in the royal family. He has effectively owned up to what he did by settling out of court.