China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

There will be reasons to get vaccinated. The CDC in the US have said that if you have had the two jabs, plus two weeks, then you are not required to isolate if you are a close contact, unless you show symptoms.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smurfy123

What is the point of getting the jab if you are young?
I was all for getting the jab but now won't
What we heard at the start was the jab is the way out of this
Now it seemingly is not
Celebrity McBride being one of those

Smurfy123

Melbourne go into a 5 day hard lockdown
Everything closed
Surely we need a plan b at this stage?
We could get down to single figure and then open up and it could get to 1000 within 2 weeks
Likely it wouldn't happen but is possible
Really need a plan b here to live with it
Brocade it seems vaccines now isn't the way out

Milltown Row2

What season is Melbourne in at the minute?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 12, 2021, 07:35:11 AM
Everything closed
We could get down to single figure and then open up and it could get to 1000 within 2 weeks
Melbourne are totally overreacting. Didn't they recently lockdown for a week over one person (working in a quarantine hotel ffs) catching covid? No way to live. Once the vulnerable get the jab we need to reopen.

dublin7

Quote from: BennyCake on February 11, 2021, 11:58:32 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 11, 2021, 11:32:16 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 11, 2021, 11:05:46 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 11, 2021, 10:50:51 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 11, 2021, 10:38:00 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 11, 2021, 10:18:48 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 11, 2021, 09:47:31 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 11, 2021, 06:49:13 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 11, 2021, 06:34:20 PM
A big percentage in India are refusing to get the vaccine.

The whole point of the information campaign is to encourage people to get the vaccine. You'll have a certain percentage in every country who will refuse to get the vaccine. Some for valid reasons (allergies for example) others for the most idiotic reasons

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-55179300

...and some because it won't work, the long term side affects are unknown, they don't trust pharmaceuticals/governments/media, or they aren't in the 'at risk group so why would they get it'?

Like I said, strange reasons. There are conspiracy nuts all over the world. There's no chance the take  up of any vaccine will ever be 100%  There are people who believe vaccines like MMR and the flu jab that have shown to work (please don't mention the flu a few years that was an exception) are dangerous and refuse to get them.

All you can do is try and educate the public that getting the vaccine is the right and safe thing to do

They're only strange reasons to you.

The reasons above aren't 'conspiracy theories'. We don't know the long term side effects. Nor do the pharmaceuticals, or if they do they're not telling us (and let's be honest, why would they?).

Many people have had covid and barely affected them. So they might look at that and say, well if that's the worst it does to me, why would I get the jab? That's totally understandable. Or maybe that's a 'conspiracy theory' too?
Not trusting pharmaceutical companies/governments they're all lying is not normal to me. Would someone who doesn't trust the vaccine/pharma companies take a paracetamol tablet? Where's the line?

If it was just the media you didn't trust, then fair enough.

You are right that being young and thinking you're invincible isn't a conspiracy theory, it's just life. That's why I made the point that it's important governments get the message across that getting the vaccine is important and the right thing to do

The Dalai Lama and the Pope could tell people to get the vaccine. Doesn't mean everyone will get it though. And it also doesn't mean it's the 'right thing to do'.

If I want medical advice or was asked who to approach I would say look at what the medical experts suggest. If I had a question about religion I'd look at what the Pope might have said. If you're looking to the Dalai Lama for advice on what to do for Covid good for you, but there are better and with respect more qualified people, like the medical experts dealing with Covid and advising the government

Have you seen any qualified and respected medical expert come out and and say people shouldn't get the Covid vaccine?

Well, the Dublin government/EU wheeled out Brian O'Driscoll and a host of other 'experts' for the second go at the Lisbon Treaty. And that seemed to work. So why not the Pope on the Covid jab?

And of course you're not going to see medical people speak out against the jab. Because it'll be, "see that degree on your surgery wall? We'll you won't be needing that anymore, boyo!"... Or words to that effect.

That's gas. Medical experts are now afraid to speak out. They couldn't possibly all think a vaccine for a virus (that doesn't seem to be seasonal) and has killed over a million people all over the world is a good thing. There were questions raised by the experts in relation to the Astra Zenica vaccine when they first released their vaccine trial results so clearly not everyone is afraid to speak out

I am curious though, do you think it was big pharma, world governments or both that has warned medical professionals to keep quiet?

sid waddell

And they're absolutely right to do so

It seems you think they should just let Covid spread

"The Titanic is unsinkable, she will obliterate this iceberg"

sid waddell

The Kent variant now has its own mutation which has developed the same characteristics as the South African variant

This is because of wide scale community spread due to the proven failed ideology of "living with the virus"

Anybody who discounts the serious possibility of mutants rendering all the current vaccines obsolete is not living in the real world

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/10/mutated-kent-covid-variant-must-be-taken-seriously-warns-uk-scientist

PadraicHenryPearse

Everything closed

time to start negotiating with the virus maybe. Ask it to be seasonal maybe or to stop further mutations. Wlany suggestions for plan b that lead us back to increasing numbers and hospitals getting overrun. imo if we are patient enough now and continue with vaccine rollout we will be in a much better position but i think patience is key as hard as that isbfor everyone

sid waddell

The ideology of "Living With Covid" would remind you of the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster

Who cares that the bow door is open and the ship is rapidly taking in water, sure sail away there, boss, 'tis grand

Sail away, sail away, sail away, like Enya said

Appropriately enough, this ideology is promoted by self style heralds of free enterprise

thewobbler

Yes I agree. We should all follow the new government policy of out waiting the virus, and we should keep the airports open throughout, just so as we can prolong the process. And we should acknowledge our civil duty to return to out wait mode at the government's discretion for the rest of our lives, as and when the virus is brought into the country by travellers.

—-

Covid zero is impossible without both a) isolating Ireland in the short term, and b) an identical worldwide approach in the medium term.

We are being led into fantasy delusions by extraordinary reactive and inept leadership across both islands.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: thewobbler on February 12, 2021, 09:49:34 AM
Yes I agree. We should all follow the new government policy of out waiting the virus, and we should keep the airports open throughout, just so as we can prolong the process. And we should acknowledge our civil duty to return to out wait mode at the government's discretion for the rest of our lives, as and when the virus is brought into the country by travellers.

—-

Covid zero is impossible without both a) isolating Ireland in the short term, and b) an identical worldwide approach in the medium term.

We are being led into fantasy delusions by extraordinary reactive and inept leadership across both islands.

so what is the solution... im not clear from your post.

Milltown Row2

The only way out is increased testing, track and trace (though i don't even have the app!) and roll out the vaccines..

Slowly open up, if not just to keep Angelo and Smurphy happy ;)  and try and get hospital admissions lowered.

It will be with us for years no doubt but we'll get on with our lives soon enough... if we get another big drop in cases again this week then the government should start looking at the plan or at least what milestones need to be achieved to start again
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

The proper solution is to lock down and isolate Ireland completely, and keep its borders shut until the rest of the world has stamped it out. No exceptions. Nil.

If that is not feasible, then we already have nearly done enough to open up again. Once the over 70s and high risk groups have been vaccinated, then Covid's potential to kill is minimal to none. Any measures between where we are now, and the complete isolation described above, is little more than chasing a rainbow.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: thewobbler on February 12, 2021, 10:03:03 AM
The proper solution is to lock down and isolate Ireland completely, and keep its borders shut until the rest of the world has stamped it out. No exceptions. Nil.

If that is not feasible, then we already have nearly done enough to open up again. Once the over 70s and high risk groups have been vaccinated, then Covid's potential to kill is minimal to none. Any measures between where we are now, and the complete isolation described above, is little more than chasing a rainbow.

It's not feasible. It won't happen.

New Zealand option is not an option for us. We have the UK 20 mins away on a plane with no (at the moment) quarantine.