China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Sligo leading the way. Don't think the 6 counties are included in this though.

Smurfy123

Had a good laugh myself Radio.
Things looking good Galway
We can do this
We all need to take the credit for this
All of us on this board should be proud of one another regardless of the arguments we have had over it
Tradesmen
Solicitors
Chefs
Babysitters
Even teachers

larryin89

New Zealand now there's the model everyone should heed .  Just announced their last active case has recovered . Amazing leadership , lockdown , shut your borders , sin e .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: larryin89 on June 08, 2020, 06:58:20 AM
New Zealand now there's the model everyone should heed .  Just announced their last active case has recovered . Amazing leadership , lockdown , shut your borders , sin e .

We cannot do it. North/South political divide. Membership of EU freedom of movement.

It's a thinker for when the dust settles, it should be as easy as you suggest - but it isn't.

Milltown Row2

Slightly off topic but when da f**k are the recycling centres going to take soil?

Say they are waiting on government guidance?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

APM

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 08, 2020, 09:38:20 AM

We cannot do it. North/South political divide. Membership of EU freedom of movement.

It's a thinker for when the dust settles, it should be as easy as you suggest - but it isn't.

It could be done with the right political will. The UK (England) had probably the worst response in Western Europe.  There were many problems with the response on the island of Ireland but the intent was a lot stronger and we benefited from less urbanisation.  I would like to see the R figure now for community transmission.  I suspect it is pretty good and sitting as we do, next door to GB, there is a very strong case for closing down flights and quarantine measures.  They won't have the balls to do it though, and even if the science says its the right thing to do, they'll find a scientist to say its the wrong thing to do!

thewobbler

Happy to be proven wrong here, but afaik NZ didn't lock down until after Australia, China, South Korea, Japan. So in terms of speed of strategy execution they didn't so much show leadership, as play the hand they were dealt.

That doesn't mean they didn't take the right measures after that. But it has to be immeasurably easier to throw a safety net around a country when all its trading partners (and the majority of its inbound leisure traffic) have all but ceased trading. Especially so when your net is going around an island in a distant outpost.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2020, 09:57:13 AM
Slightly off topic but when da f**k are the recycling centres going to take soil?

Say they are waiting on government guidance?
Never mind the soil, I went on Friday with a load of plastic and glass bottles and cardboard. Sorry only taking cardboard! If there is one thing lockdown has generated in most houses it's bottles!

Rois

No deaths for the second day in a row in the North.  Great news. 

Smurfy123

Great news Rois
3 weeks ago Ross and co had everything cancelled for the year
I actually think the north should go one step ahead of the South today and announce that any restaurants with outside facilities could open to serve food and drink up to a certain time from the 22nd of June. No reason that shops can affectively open now and restaurants etc can't. All that would obviously come down to places being able to stick to the 2 metre rule where possible
Madness that schools haven't been back from June 1st at a smaller capacity. Some uproar in England that schools were open last Monday hasn't been a word since. Good news not worth reporting

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 08, 2020, 02:30:01 PM
Great news Rois
3 weeks ago Ross and co had everything cancelled for the year
I actually think the north should go one step ahead of the South today and announce that any restaurants with outside facilities could open to serve food and drink up to a certain time from the 22nd of June. No reason that shops can affectively open now and restaurants etc can't. All that would obviously come down to places being able to stick to the 2 metre rule where possible
Madness that schools haven't been back from June 1st at a smaller capacity. Some uproar in England that schools were open last Monday hasn't been a word since. Good news not worth reporting

It's great news for the whole of Ireland - but now we also need to be aware that we are well on top, we shouldn't overreact should we get a bit of a rise in the days to come.

The Govts now need to really zero in on the counties with the biggest numbers, I'll presume they are Antrim, Dublin, Cork and Galway.

I agree it's time to press ahead though, lets continue to go slow, but lets go. The changes in this thread and life in general from the outbreak have been remarkable. I think we are all a bit more positive about the situation now and long may it continue.

Blowitupref

New Zealand are lucky on where they are located and they had only 1,504 cases in total yet it took them 4 months to bring that down to zero active cases. Which makes me wonder how long it will be for the Ireland to do likewise? ROI has  824 active cases not sure about the amount of active cases in Northern Ireland.

Irelands cause not helped with so close to England who have the opposite leadership to New Zealand. Only in the last few weeks have England increased testing and are tracing contacts something they should have done months ago.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on June 08, 2020, 02:08:16 PM
No deaths for the second day in a row in the North.  Great news.
Bill Gates must have finished chipping everyone.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Ye know all them maps going about showing the big black holes in road,rail networks and jobs in Derry, Donegal and Fermanagh?
Guess what they match exactly the same pattern for lowest numbers of COVID 19. Strange that

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on June 08, 2020, 10:20:27 AM
Happy to be proven wrong here, but afaik NZ didn't lock down until after Australia, China, South Korea, Japan. So in terms of speed of strategy execution they didn't so much show leadership, as play the hand they were dealt.

That doesn't mean they didn't take the right measures after that. But it has to be immeasurably easier to throw a safety net around a country when all its trading partners (and the majority of its inbound leisure traffic) have all but ceased trading. Especially so when your net is going around an island in a distant outpost.

Fair point.
But they acted quickly on the strong hand they were dealt. In a European context , ROI did well especially given the existing problems with their health service. Up north we clearly out scored "the rest of the UK" , though British government and media have done an excellent job keeping this quiet. There is no doubt that Boris' early complacency was disastrous. I wonder will those (including the media ) that were very critical of Michelle breaking ranks and challenging Arlene to follow ROI rather the UK, admit that the eventual unity of purpose in following ROI saved many lives. I think Even Arlene  realises that we dodged a bullet by going on our own