China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 09, 2020, 09:27:57 PM
At thr minute in Derry most of the traffic is coming into us not the other way around.

Look it Buckeen you earn yer money in the free state, crossing the border daily. E&I  ;)

Itchy

I've been stopped on way to work and way home from each of the last 3 days. "What is your purpose bring here today" is the question. Didnt see anyone being turned away but I know that 100s of tourists have already landed, most came in middle of the night. I'm sure we will survive.

imtommygunn

There are seven different types of corona virus. Four cause mild disease and three are much more serious (sars, Mers and sars2). That was something I hadn't read before but I saw on twitter from a doctor at queens. Interesting.

Milltown Row2

I feel you shouldn't have to drive anywhere to exercise or walk the dog, if its a 2 mile radius from your house, walk it.

The parks and beach near me have closed their car-parks and there are signs ups locally telling people to basically 'f**k off' and not to park their cars nearby.

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2020, 09:52:17 PM
There are seven different types of corona virus. Four cause mild disease and three are much more serious (sars, Mers and sars2). That was something I hadn't read before but I saw on twitter from a doctor at queens. Interesting.

On that imtommygunn, are there lesser strains of this virus?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: hardstation on April 09, 2020, 09:24:04 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on April 09, 2020, 09:10:46 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 09, 2020, 08:44:57 PM
There seems to be an issue with people driving their cars in the north. The peelers have come out today and said that it is a breach of the regulations to drive somewhere to exercise. Seems they've just made that up themselves as the regulations don't mention that at all. If you live a mile from a park where you exercise, you can cycle there, walk there or run there but you can't drive there.

I can see why they wouldn't want people driving too far or all landing at the one natural beauty spot but a 2km rule like the south would make more sense? I can't see how they could enforce their own made up rule either.

you can drive for an essential journey, that is obviously not  ???
If exercise isn't essential, why are you allowed to leave the house to do it at all?

exercising is essential, driving to do it is not   ::)

imtommygunn

No idea to be honest. Lesser strains of the three harmful types do you mean? 

The seven different types makes a lot of sense and shows why the difference in severity etc though is a bit scary too.

I run from the house now. Used to always drive to the towpath and have never done so many hills ;D Two cars at the house doing barely anything bar the odd grocery run.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Rudi on April 09, 2020, 09:42:19 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 09, 2020, 09:27:57 PM
At thr minute in Derry most of the traffic is coming into us not the other way around.

Look it Buckeen you earn yer money in the free state, crossing the border daily. E&I  ;)
Listen here sherlock 😂.
It's good dollar too, free staters hardly get out of their scratchers for it, but us Derry wans woukd shovel shite.

Seriously though the checks are sensible but there has been a wee tinge of getting boot into Derry ones recently even though other than the obvious big factory most traffic goes other way

LeoMc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 09, 2020, 09:55:23 PM
I feel you shouldn't have to drive anywhere to exercise or walk the dog, if its a 2 mile radius from your house, walk it.

The parks and beach near me have closed their car-parks and there are signs ups locally telling people to basically 'f**k off' and not to park their cars nearby.

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2020, 09:52:17 PM

On that imtommygunn, are there lesser strains of this virus?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronaviridae

229E & OC43 cause the common cold
HCoV-HKU1 common cold, sometime respiratory infection
NL63 respiratory infection
MERS-CoV
SARS-CoV
SARS-CoV-02. This is the one doing the rounds.
There are dozens of differing variations for different species.

Will it ever end

Northern Ireland added to the FT modelling this evening - compares particularly well at present with the rest of the world ...

Australia & NZ looking to have things really well under control - interestingly construction & manufacturing both still open in Oz

armaghniac

Quote from: Will it ever end on April 09, 2020, 10:19:24 PM
Northern Ireland added to the FT modelling this evening - compares particularly well at present with the rest of the world ...

A remote backwater with an excellent government has every chance.

QuoteAustralia & NZ looking to have things really well under control - interestingly construction & manufacturing both still open in Oz

NZ reckons they can rid themselves of the pox, then introduce controls at the airport.
The island of Ireland should aim to do likewise.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ambrose

Australia & NZ looking to have things really well under control - interestingly construction & manufacturing both still open in Oz

It could be a seasonal thing, Oz and NZ are both at the end of their summer/going into autumn, unfortunately we don't know enough about this virus yet.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on April 09, 2020, 10:32:57 PM

QuoteAustralia & NZ looking to have things really well under control - interestingly construction & manufacturing both still open in Oz

NZ reckons they can rid themselves of the pox, then introduce controls at the airport.

Suggestion going round NZ is that they won't open the country to inbound or outbound passenger flights for at least 12 months.

Will it ever end

Have you any source for that? Can't see it widely reported?

NZ speaking of relaxing their lockdown restrictions

Interesting they've stated two key areas they feel that got them ahead with time afforded to them by China lockdown:

1) Testing - 51,165 tests had been carried out earlier in the week comparing with Ireland's a few days back @ 42,484

2) Being an island & border restrictions enforced early - that's why the previous post on 12 month border restrictions would be interesting to see some more detail.

Solo_run

Quote from: gallsman on April 09, 2020, 11:48:25 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 09, 2020, 10:32:57 PM

Suggestion going round NZ is that they won't open the country to inbound or outbound passenger flights for at least 12 months.

I think this will be the case for a lot of countries unless strict and accurate measurements are put in place.

Never beat the deeler

Can somebody explain the difference with the number of deaths in Ireland compared to Australia?

Similar no of recorded cases, obv Ireland much higher per head. Ireland 6,574, Aus 6,104
Similar no of tests carried out per head of population, so not disproportionate there. 10,734 v 12,946
Ireland has 263 deaths so far with only 51 in Aus.

It looks like patients aren't recovering in Ireland (or not being reported) - only 25 recoveries compared to 2,987 in Australia.
Hasta la victoria siempre