The price of drink

Started by Lecale2, February 22, 2008, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Wide and Handsome

price of drink can be ridiculous.

was away in london 2 weeks ago for work. it was a free bar as a man was putting the whole thing on his tab. i then decided just to be curtious to buy him and couple other people a drink. give the man a break. went to the bar to order a pint of some kroenberg for me (spelt wrong german shit, poor selection of beers), 2 vodka and cokes and just 2 cokes to make up a round. although this was a very swanky hotel i was thinkin 15 or 20 quid would well cover it.

the man asked me for £26 and some change. i near fainted. thought it was unreal step. but apparently someone in the group said they only serve doubles as their shots are only 25ml. well it was freakin steep any road!
"Swing er over!"

5 Sams

I was in The Temple Bar the weekend of the U2 concert. €6-60 for a pint of (poor) Guinness and roughly the same for a bottle of Heineken. Went to Meaghers in Ballybough before the concert and paid about half of that for a gorgeous pint.........robbin bastards in Temple Bar :o
The Aristocrat Years

TacadoirArdMhacha

Advocate had been closed there for a few months but had re-opened. Could be closing again soon now. Never seemed to be much a crowd about it.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Archie Mitchell

I think I seen The Advocate open earlier this week. Walked past it today and it was closed.

Mario

Going for cheap pints tonight in Diceys €3 a pint, you couldn't get moving in it. Its still cheaper at home though at £2.50

Nailed On

I have heard that Renshaws is re-opening at some point in the coming year, great news for the fans of cheap drink and mucksaviii (normally go hand in hand)

fred the red

Quote from: Nailed On on August 06, 2009, 08:15:17 PM
I have heard that Renshaws is re-opening at some point in the coming year, great news for the fans of cheap drink and mucksaviii (normally go hand in hand)

I seen a sign up on it said it was opening November It seems to be owned by the Ibis hotel chain, so im not sure if its gonna be a mucksavii pit or not.

MadMayo

€6 for a bottle of heinehen in Dakota, South William Street, Dublin
€6.70 for a pint bottle of bulmers, Oliver St. John Gogartys Temple bar
Dublin prices are a joke.....
And these guys are buying in bulk for €1 a bottle max!

dillinger

I live in Bangor, £3-00 pretty much stantard price here. Cheaper to drink at home, go to bar rarely, just too dear.

rolloutking

QuoteI have heard that Renshaws is re-opening at some point in the coming year, great news for the fans of cheap drink and mucksaviii (normally go hand in hand)

Spoke to one of the ex barman who now works in the hat. Said the owner closed it because he got too much hassle from with students making noise, wrecking about outside etc. It's opening as a proper hotel and not the student watering hole it used to be unfortunately, although I don't know if a hotel in such close proximity to the nerve centre of the holylands could attract proper staying over guests

Nailed On

Quote from: rolloutking on August 07, 2009, 10:19:53 AM
QuoteI have heard that Renshaws is re-opening at some point in the coming year, great news for the fans of cheap drink and mucksaviii (normally go hand in hand)

Spoke to one of the ex barman who now works in the hat. Said the owner closed it because he got too much hassle from with students making noise, wrecking about outside etc. It's opening as a proper hotel and not the student watering hole it used to be unfortunately, although I don't know if a hotel in such close proximity to the nerve centre of the holylands could attract proper staying over guests

The owner didn't really make much of an effort to clean the place up what with the drinks promotions etc, also it was one of the hardest places in Belfast to get chucked out of. Used to let you away with anything.

Quagmire

The owner turned his eye to other things when he got involved with the Holiday Inn down the road and bought into that franchise with Days on the Sandy Row and the Ramada out at Shaws Bridge.  He had to maintain standards in those hotels in line with what was laid down, Renshaws was his first hotel and his own, so when the others took off he didn't really focus on it so much. When Renshaws was making money, he was happy but when the profits went down with the 3 for 5er he just llet it run itself into the ground. God knows how this new place will fair but there was a surprisingly high occupany level in the hotel side of the Shaws!

Unfortunately it will never return to it's former term time 'glory'!! The mucksavii may be content with the Hat for now, unless they invade the Menagerie, I think it might be opening again, saw life round it last week! That was some spot!!

Nailed On

Quote from: Quagmire on August 07, 2009, 10:33:53 PM
The owner turned his eye to other things when he got involved with the Holiday Inn down the road and bought into that franchise with Days on the Sandy Row and the Ramada out at Shaws Bridge.  He had to maintain standards in those hotels in line with what was laid down, Renshaws was his first hotel and his own, so when the others took off he didn't really focus on it so much. When Renshaws was making money, he was happy but when the profits went down with the 3 for 5er he just llet it run itself into the ground. God knows how this new place will fair but there was a surprisingly high occupany level in the hotel side of the Shaws!

Unfortunately it will never return to it's former term time 'glory'!! The mucksavii may be content with the Hat for now, unless they invade the Menagerie, I think it might be opening again, saw life round it last week! That was some spot!!

When 3 for 5 was in full swing Shaws used to be heaving. The period in between when there were no promotions it was empty most of the time. Then at the end when they brougt 3 for 5 back it started to boom again.

They should never have got rid of Fat Jim's karaoke.

Quagmire

Big Jim threw the head up cos he was looking more money, the hoor was already getting a fortune! He also wasn't pleased when he made the schoolboy error of giving out a pile of his props for a conga line out the back door of the shaws, round half of Fitzroy and back in the front door and getting very little of them back!!  :D