Working/Living In Australia

Started by galwayman, November 23, 2008, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: The Subbie on May 12, 2010, 12:24:34 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on May 12, 2010, 12:11:58 AM
Question for aussie contingent,

remembered this thread from a while back... just been browsing through jobs online and seen there were a few engineering jobs down under and NZ. Not mad serious on applying but just curious... they all stipulate that you already have to be eligible to live and work in australia.

Does this mean you would have to ship out over a grand or whatever to get a visa just to start applying? I know there are cheaper work and travel visas but they are limited to 6 months? work limit...

basically like to know: how much would you have to shell out before you could feel free to apply for jobs?

Going meself in 6 weeks, got a 457 visa sponsered by a large construction company working there thru a contact i had from a few years ago, worked with the guy on a few bigish jobs here, am at site manager level for heavy civils works.
I would imagine you should just fire the cv at them and see if any of them bite ,what have you got to lose? you only have to make a decision when some of them start offering you something.

The way i look at it is that it can't be worse than here at the minute and the old failsafe of england is looking dodgy @ the minute, what state will they be in in 12 months time?

Its gonna be tough to say cherrio to everyone and be skypeing back home on the championship Sunday on a monday morn but the $ are there to made  not here.

I'll be based in Sydney and a few lads i know are already working  for the same firm and they say that finding accom is the hardest bit, I'm going with herself so am looking for something decent but rent seems to high, kinda same level as Dublin 7 or 8 years ago.

Anyone got any suggestions on where to look and where to avoid in the Inner West ?

Like anywhere else it would depend on how much you want to pay - areas like Annandale, Glebe and Stanmore are nice but that bit more expensive in comparison to the likes of Ashfield and Burwood. This is down to proximity of city centre.

If you're working at a site mangers wage and you're looking for a 1 bed appartment for yourself and the missus though you should be able to afford the nicer area that are closer to the city I'd imagine.

Sending a PM now

armaghniac

I wish my boss would go to Australia, or anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere. I hope he doesn't sack me for posting this on an Internet forum.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Quagmire

I'm heading out with a friend in October, flying into Sydney and just going to see how we fare. We've got plenty of mates there already as well as in other cities like Brisbane and Melbourne so it'll be great to catch up again.  We're both out on the WHV, I just got it before I got too old!  ;D

I've 3 years experience as a social worker and would like to do something in that field or youth justice, if any posters are in Oz and know of any info that might help me out I'd be grateful! Hopefully that would be an avenue to get sponsorship through. Saying that, I'll not give a toss if I have to pick strawberries or dig holes for a while in order to keep the beer tokens coming in and get the 2nd part of the visa!!

ballinaman

Aye, rents are fairly high in sydney. I'm paying same money as Dublin, if not a bit more.

Australian visa applications are a bit of a dose, far cry from NZ anyways, where it's like "sure come on in!!". I was in NZ for 2 months at the end of feb looking for work and the situation was shite, only a wee bit better than Ireland to be honest. New Zealand is unreal, stay away from Auckland, one of the most boring places in the world i'd say.
Applied for a few jobs in Oz and phone was ringing off the hook nearly.

Ya, 1 wroking holiday year visa only allows you to work with one place for a maximum of 6 months and then you gotta get sponsored, which is the case for me.

That sponsorship can last for up to 4 years and if you loose that sponsorship ya have 28 days to find another job who will do the same or else you have to leave.

If you look for the goverment website and search what occupations fall under the skilled migrant visa it's a better bet. Costs about 3,000 dollars but you aren't tied down to one job in particluar which happens when you are sponsored. You have to have worked in your profession for 1 year in Australia i think prior to applying for the skilled migrant visa, so basically i'm gonna get sponsored for 6 months and then go for it.

Or here's another option...one that i know two lads did, hilarious. Basically one of them had a skilled migrant visa and the friend was going to have to go home because he's 2 year visa was up. So the two boys pretented to be gay partners. Basically, took photos over 1 weekend at different made up events which looked like it was over a few years timeline. Flew up to Brisbane for a night as well and took pics. Went to the goverment then and the 2nd guy got on the skilled migrant visa by defacto....legends...and no, they didn;t have to consumate the relationship... :D

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Quagmire on May 12, 2010, 12:46:38 AM
I'm heading out with a friend in October, flying into Sydney and just going to see how we fare. We've got plenty of mates there already as well as in other cities like Brisbane and Melbourne so it'll be great to catch up again.  We're both out on the WHV, I just got it before I got too old!  ;D

I've 3 years experience as a social worker and would like to do something in that field or youth justice, if any posters are in Oz and know of any info that might help me out I'd be grateful! Hopefully that would be an avenue to get sponsorship through. Saying that, I'll not give a toss if I have to pick strawberries or dig holes for a while in order to keep the beer tokens coming in and get the 2nd part of the visa!!

If youre talking about a 2nd years WHV, then you have to be 30 or less at the time of applying, so if you got the first one just before you were too old you might have to look at other options
Hasta la victoria siempre

Orior

Here's a quick game for any bored people. Find your doppleganger outside of Ireland.

Here's Point Pass, in South Australia, named by a woman who emmigrated from County Armagh in 1853.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=-34.077743,139.04936&z=13&t=h&hl=en-GB
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Aerlik

A few years ago when working in Queensland, I flew an election booth into a cattle station called Dungiven, right in the middle of nowhere.  When I told them my mam was from Dungiven in Ireland, they thought i was joking.

About twenty people voted that day.  Why they didn't use postal votes I will never know, as the mail plane used to visit weekly. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

haranguerer

Quote from: Orior on May 12, 2010, 09:36:47 AM
Here's a quick game for any bored people. Find your doppleganger outside of Ireland.

Here's Point Pass, in South Australia, named by a woman who emmigrated from County Armagh in 1853.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=-34.077743,139.04936&z=13&t=h&hl=en-GB

Jeez, thon Main Street boy is popular...

Quagmire

I had thought about that NBTD, I asked it STA travel about it when I was paying off the ticket, the girl siad she didn't know about the second part as they only dealt with getting you out there in the first place.

Looks like it's sponsorship or bust then if I fancy more than a year!

Thanks for the head's up!

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Quagmire on May 12, 2010, 03:15:11 PM
I had thought about that NBTD, I asked it STA travel about it when I was paying off the ticket, the girl siad she didn't know about the second part as they only dealt with getting you out there in the first place.

Looks like it's sponsorship or bust then if I fancy more than a year!

Thanks for the head's up!

No bother at all. Went through with a mate of mine who applied successfully for his about a week before his 31st birthday!

For the Sponsorship/Skilled Migrant the Australian dept of immigration website is pretty good and easy enough to navigate (though there is loads of reading!) www.immi.gov.au
Hasta la victoria siempre

umgolaarmagh

Just landed in Perth a week ago,

anyone know if there is much of a gaa scene in WA

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: umgolaarmagh on November 01, 2010, 12:55:38 PM

You're taking the warm weather training serious.....will we see you togged out for the dirt , Ogs again? ;)
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

umgolaarmagh

Never say Never, but unless there is a major construction boom in the next 18mths in northern ireland then the chances are very low.

Hedley Lamarr

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

The Subbie

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on November 01, 2010, 02:13:02 PM
Quote from: umgolaarmagh on November 01, 2010, 12:55:38 PM

You're taking the warm weather training serious.....will we see you togged out for the dirt , Ogs again? ;)
Best of luck umgola,am here(facking Sydney mate!) since end of June,works going well,plenty of it & it's kinda refreshing to be doing programmes for works into 2013,BIG change from home,the aul Aussies themselves aren't the worst by any means, as long as your not a whinging pom it seems Ur all right!!
Getting the visa 2 get here seems 2 be the hard part, work ESP construction/civil seems to be plentiful,wages are good and the weather is a bonus even though it's pushing down here @ d minute!!