Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

No doubt this Friends episode will be next

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Stefan Molyneux has been banned from YouTube.

That's good news.

Should have happened a long time ago, mind.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on June 29, 2020, 03:24:37 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 29, 2020, 03:22:31 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 29, 2020, 03:19:06 PM
J70, if society is always changing, can we not maybe accept that someone born and raised in Iowa in 1907, might have developed opinions and ideologies that were culturally "of that time"?

If we are going to clear skeletons out of closets, there's an awful lot of families in Ireland today have grandparents who either turned a blind eye to or helped cover up the obvious misdemeanours of the church. Personally I wouldn't demonise such people, as their actions were "of the time".

I think we can absolutely condemn their actions, even if we "understand" them.

Doesn't mean we have to continue to honour them with airport names and pride-of-place statues.

No we don't. But nor do we have to agree in any shape of form with someone's political or cultural beliefs (or misunderstandings) to appreciate the fact they've left a mark on this world. Taking a name off an airport doesn't change the fact that he's a figure of huge cultural importance to America.

We are misunderstanding the Playboy interview?

The general question is does someone's 'good' outweigh the 'bad'. I think JW shades it, but slave traders and people employed as propagandists for the Confederacy don't.

thewobbler

I think the bigger question is whether someone can be portrayed "of their time and culture" rather than as a plain old nasty piece of work.

And my underlying point being that almost every person will have ancestors who openly shared and practiced beliefs that wouldn't sit easily in the modern world.  That's who we evolved from folks. To hide it, bury it, pretend it didn't happen isn't (in my opinion) the right approach.

With regards to naming places after people, and putting up statues, ideally it would only involve people of impeccable virtues. But that requires us to hide history from the next generations, rather than evaluate it.

Those who are determined to remove statues might be better served by installing plaques beside them which explain why this person should be remembered, but not necessarily celebrated.

LeoMc

Is there a statute of limitations on this?
The Pyramids were built by slave owners.

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyCake on June 29, 2020, 06:48:28 PM
No doubt this Friends episode will be next

Should the film White Chicks be banned too?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TabClear

Milltown Row2

Quote from: TabClear on June 30, 2020, 01:43:54 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 30, 2020, 01:41:28 PM

Controversial.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jan/11/great-pyramid-tombs-slaves-egypt

Just while we are at it take down the Colosseum! Slaves fighting for their lives? Christians thrown to the lions!

But no, stop watching Carry on up The Khyber and rename that damn airport
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Controversial.....

I've no idea if slaves built the pyramids or not. But the problem I would have with that article is that the sources really, really, really, really want to believe slaves were not involved. So they're about as objective as Pat Spillane in his "areal of expertise".

LeoMc

Controversial.....

That is why I said built by slave owners, not built by slaves. I have not seen any sources saying the Pharoahs, commemorated by the pyramids, did not own slaves.

Baile Brigín 2

No they weren't

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 30, 2020, 01:53:40 PM

Controversial.....

Just while we are at it take down the Colosseum! Slaves fighting for their lives? Christians thrown to the lions!

Also, neither happened.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 30, 2020, 04:25:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 30, 2020, 01:53:40 PM

Controversial.....

Also, neither happened.

Gladiator : Most were despised as slaves, schooled under harsh conditions, socially marginalized, and segregated even in death.

Christians did die after the fire of Rome by Nero, When they were blamed for starting the fire, though they were mainly martyrs