Mayo for Sam 2019

Started by TheGreatest, April 01, 2019, 10:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on April 01, 2019, 09:58:47 PM
I'm not a big fan of Cillian, for the reasons Lar eloquently laid out, but I do respect his ability and his bottle. The equalizer he got in an All Ireland final, where he demanded the ball and knocked it over from 40 yards from play, showed leadership and balls. Yes, he misses the odd time, but not through lack of bottle. Also tucked away a penalty in an All Ireland final, making it look easy when the pressure would have been horrendous.

Giving him stick because he's not as good as Michael Murphy or McManus is harsh in the extreme!

Agree with this. He's definitely a plus to Mayo when he's fit and available. They've a couple of other options now though. It has been a good league for them even leaving aside winning it.

Angelo

Quote from: MayoBuck on April 01, 2019, 11:38:34 PM
Cillian gets plenty of scores from play. I honestly don't know how that myth is still out there.

He scored a stunning goal against Kerry in the 2011 semi final despite only being 19. Scored a hat trick against Donegal in the 2013 quarter final. When do you ever see a hat trick in Gaelic football? Excellent in both semi-finals vs Kerry in 2014. Carried the side vs Dublin in 2015. 3 points from play in the low scoring quarter final win vs Tyrone in 2016. Super equaliser vs Dublin in the drawn final. 3 points from play in the 2017 final. Many other examples too.

I can understand opposition fans don't like his off the ball stuff but you can't deny he's a prolific scorer.

He is a prolific scorer but I don't think that makes him a top level forward. The style of play and the type of running power Mayo have means that they will generate a lot of handy frees which O'Connor gets his name put towards, the way Mayo attack means that they also get plenty of men over on their attacks from their running power from deep and I think O'Connor benefits hugely from playing in that Mayo side rather than the other way around.

McAliskey finished the season as the joint 2nd top scorer in Championship and joint 2nd top scorer from play in Championship last year, he didn't even get an All Star nomination. I think O'Connor is a decent player but he's not a top level attacker, I wouldn't have him in the top 10 inside forwards in the game at any stage over his career. In the current Mayo side I would have him behind the likes of Keegan, Durcan, Boyle, O'Shea, Parsons, Barrett, Clarke, Doherty, McLoughlin, Moran and DOC in terms of his importance to Mayo from open play over the past number of years.

He is a good free taker, he puts in a shift, he will take scoring responsibility when his team needs it, he is a good finisher - they are his strong points. However, he is pretty easily marked out of a game, he doesn't have much pace, he's not the most physical for a big guy and doesn't win an awful lot in the air, he doesn't have much of a left foot, his movement is not the best, he doesn't really have that flair or craft. If you gave a man marker the strict detail to stay on O'Connor and nullify him, it's pretty easy done - however when you play Mayo it's more than likely you're going to have to leave that post when the runners like Keegan, Durcan, O'Shea, DOC come through with big danger mounting.

He's a decent player but he's not a top level attacker and there is no convincing me he is despite his scoring statistics.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

magpie seanie

Quote from: Angelo on April 02, 2019, 09:18:12 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on April 01, 2019, 11:38:34 PM
Cillian gets plenty of scores from play. I honestly don't know how that myth is still out there.

He scored a stunning goal against Kerry in the 2011 semi final despite only being 19. Scored a hat trick against Donegal in the 2013 quarter final. When do you ever see a hat trick in Gaelic football? Excellent in both semi-finals vs Kerry in 2014. Carried the side vs Dublin in 2015. 3 points from play in the low scoring quarter final win vs Tyrone in 2016. Super equaliser vs Dublin in the drawn final. 3 points from play in the 2017 final. Many other examples too.

I can understand opposition fans don't like his off the ball stuff but you can't deny he's a prolific scorer.

He is a prolific scorer but I don't think that makes him a top level forward. The style of play and the type of running power Mayo have means that they will generate a lot of handy frees which O'Connor gets his name put towards, the way Mayo attack means that they also get plenty of men over on their attacks from their running power from deep and I think O'Connor benefits hugely from playing in that Mayo side rather than the other way around.

McAliskey finished the season as the joint 2nd top scorer in Championship and joint 2nd top scorer from play in Championship last year, he didn't even get an All Star nomination. I think O'Connor is a decent player but he's not a top level attacker, I wouldn't have him in the top 10 inside forwards in the game at any stage over his career. In the current Mayo side I would have him behind the likes of Keegan, Durcan, Boyle, O'Shea, Parsons, Barrett, Clarke, Doherty, McLoughlin, Moran and DOC in terms of his importance to Mayo from open play over the past number of years.

He is a good free taker, he puts in a shift, he will take scoring responsibility when his team needs it, he is a good finisher - they are his strong points. However, he is pretty easily marked out of a game, he doesn't have much pace, he's not the most physical for a big guy and doesn't win an awful lot in the air, he doesn't have much of a left foot, his movement is not the best, he doesn't really have that flair or craft. If you gave a man marker the strict detail to stay on O'Connor and nullify him, it's pretty easy done - however when you play Mayo it's more than likely you're going to have to leave that post when the runners like Keegan, Durcan, O'Shea, DOC come through with big danger mounting.

He's a decent player but he's not a top level attacker and there is no convincing me he is despite his scoring statistics.

Thing is though he might provide something Mayo badly need (a finisher and reliable freetaker) so it doesn't really matter what level of overall player he is. If he improves the team he'll be in. I'd rate him similarly as yourself and one or two others do as an individual player but I really think he's hugely important to Mayo because he does things none of their other forwards do. With the possession they'll typically have he'll have plenty of opportunities.

magpie seanie

Aidan O'Shea is in unbelievable shape too from what I saw last Sunday.

Maroon Manc

A lot of hype surrounding Mayo since Sunday, everyone tipping them as the team to challenge the Dubs.

The league can be a difficult gauge sometimes as we don't know where teams are up to in terms of fitness, after Sunday its safe to assume Mayo are in the team in the best shape. Agree with seanie about AOS, looks like he's in the best shape of his life.

ballinaman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 04, 2019, 10:45:54 AM
A lot of hype surrounding Mayo since Sunday, everyone tipping them as the team to challenge the Dubs.

The league can be a difficult gauge sometimes as we don't know where teams are up to in terms of fitness, after Sunday its safe to assume Mayo are in the team in the best shape. Agree with seanie about AOS, looks like he's in the best shape of his life.
Speaking of that, what's Comer at these days? Must have done serious damage to miss the entire league with an ankle injury sustained at Christmas.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: ballinaman on April 04, 2019, 11:31:32 AM

Speaking of that, what's Comer at these days? Must have done serious damage to miss the entire league with an ankle injury sustained at Christmas.

Kevin Walsh has said he'll be back for late May. I'm not sure we'll see the best of Comer this summer given he'll have been out for nearly 6 months but given his physical prowess he'll still be very useful. Kyne & McDaid likely back for early next month whilst he was very vague about Conroy; This is what he said...

Paul Conroy, who sustained breaks in both legs in a collision during last year's opening 'Super 8s' game against Kerry, continues to rehabilitate but it will be well into the summer when he makes a full return. "He's not in contact yet. The next few weeks will determine how he comes forward when he goes into contact," Walsh said.

That doesn't sound very hopeful at all.

GalwayBayBoy

Still in a walking boot. Walsh said he hopes to have him back end of May. Not sure he'll have much of an impact on the Connacht championship though. Maybe the Super 8's if they get that far.

Think it's taken so long as they thought he didn't need surgery at first. Then once it wasn't healing they eventually had to have the surgery done.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 04, 2019, 02:01:04 PM

Still in a walking boot. Walsh said he hopes to have him back end of May. Not sure he'll have much of an impact on the Connacht championship though. Maybe the Super 8's if they get that far.

Think it's taken so long as they thought he didn't need surgery at first. Then once it wasn't healing they eventually had to have the surgery done.

Doesn't reflect well on the medical team, he'd be back by now if he'd had the op in the first place. Cummins is a decent enough replacement, for a small fella he gets more than his fair share of fisted goals.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2019, 09:57:57 AM
Aidan O'Shea is in unbelievable shape too from what I saw last Sunday.
Hard to keep that going until end of summer

Blowitupref

Am i right in saying that this will be Aidan O'Shea 11th senior championship year with Mayo?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 04, 2019, 05:19:21 PM
Am i right in saying that this will be Aidan O'Shea 11th senior championship year with Mayo?

Yeah he made his debut in 2009 straight out of minor. Scored a goal against Meath in the quarter final defeat.

rosnarun

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 04, 2019, 02:12:23 PM

Speaking of that, what’s Comer at these days? Must have done serious damage to miss the entire league with an ankle injury sustained at Christmas.

Doesn't reflect well on the medical team, he'd be back by now if he'd had the op in the first place. Cummins is a decent enough replacement, for a small fella he gets more than his fair share of fisted goals.
Wasn't Cummins Galways  top scorer from play in the league . Mainly due to goal .though some of the genius's here would hold that against him Following the  the analysis of Co'C.
being the best scorer ever just doesn't cut it for some folk
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Angelo

Quote from: rosnarun on April 04, 2019, 06:51:12 PM

Wasn't Cummins Galways  top scorer from play in the league . Mainly due to goal .though some of the genius's here would hold that against him Following the  the analysis of Co'C.

You're being overly sensitive again.

COC gets the most out of himself but the criticisms are valid and I wouldn't have him as a top level forward. I simply don't think he contributes enough from play. The type of players Mayo have and the type of game they play means they generate a huge amount of handy frees in every game, O'Connor is one of the best free takers in the game too - I would estimate that at least 50% of his entire scoring total comes from placed balls inside 30 metres.

He can finish, he can take on the shooting responsibility, he can put a good defensive shift in from the front and he is a very reliable free taker.

But his limitations are obvious, he doesn't have that craft or flair, the aerial ability to win ball despite being a big man, the movement to lose a marker when being tightly watched, the ability to kick scores of his weaker foot consistently, he lacks pace and having watched him live at matches I don't think he shows enough for the ball from open play.

I don't think anybody is saying he is useless or poor, people are saying that he's not a top level forward from open play which is a more than fair comment.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

JoG2

Quote from: Angelo on April 04, 2019, 07:22:16 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 04, 2019, 06:51:12 PM

You're being overly sensitive again.

COC gets the most out of himself but the criticisms are valid and I wouldn't have him as a top level forward. I simply don't think he contributes enough from play. The type of players Mayo have and the type of game they play means they generate a huge amount of handy frees in every game, O'Connor is one of the best free takers in the game too - I would estimate that at least 50% of his entire scoring total comes from placed balls inside 30 metres.

He can finish, he can take on the shooting responsibility, he can put a good defensive shift in from the front and he is a very reliable free taker.

But his limitations are obvious, he doesn't have that craft or flair, the aerial ability to win ball despite being a big man, the movement to lose a marker when being tightly watched, the ability to kick scores of his weaker foot consistently, he lacks pace and having watched him live at matches I don't think he shows enough for the ball from open play.

I don't think anybody is saying he is useless or poor, people are saying that he's not a top level forward from open play which is a more than fair comment.

Enjoying a Tyrone man continually underplaying the huge importance of a consistent free taker at the top level