Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermPundit

Enniskillen v Devenish

Sound predictions, Caid, although I do fancy the Gaels to beat Devenish. I think there is at least one last kick out of this very experienced Gaels squad. The fact that Brewster, Bradley nor the two Keenans haven't been be involved in the county set up has benefited Enniskillen this year. I know their league form is so inconsistent, but on paper they have the strongest team out of the remaining eight teams. Devenish have plenty of good, young players, but I think experience will see the Gaels through to the semi finals.

Roslea v St. Pat's

Roslea are the team that have been most impressive this is year. Credit is due to Peter McGinnity for turning things around over the last couple of seasons. They have already secured the junior championship so they will be confident of doing well in the senior championship as well. However, you get the feeling that they are too over reliant on Seamus Quiqley. If St. Pat's double mark him and if Eamon Maguire plays anywhere near his potential, then Donagh have every chance of progressing. I'll go for a draw in this one.

Tempo v Derrygonnelly.

This is a very interesting tie. Tempo are probably a replica of Derrygonnelly seven or eight years ago with so many good underage players coming through. Derrygonnelly were able to make the break through at senior level but I'm not so sure Tempo can do the same. They certainly have the players, but their league form suggests they are a few years ago from seriously challenging for senior honours. That's not to say they won't beat the Harps though. If Tempo can compete at midfield and get quality ball into the Ryan and Daryl Keenan, then I fancy them to progress to the semi finals.

Newtown v Lisnaskea.

A local derby which is always hard to call. Lisnaskea look set to make a quick return to division one but they haven't been beating division two teams conviningly this season. They just about beat Brookeboro on Saturday, whilst Newtown, after an indifferent start to the league look to have a found a bit of form at the right time. There won't be much in it at the end, but I expect Newtown to get through.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Caid

No. of county panelists

Enniskillen (2) 
Devenish (1)
St. Patricks (3)
Roslea (2)
Derrygonnelly (1)
Tempo (4)
Lisnaskea (2)
Newtownbutler (2)

Source: wikipedia

This analysis says very little as Tempo have failed to deliver any consistency despite having four county men.  However, it is difficult to support Enniskillen having the strongest team on paper as many of the big names are past their best.  But there is always very little between any of the teams in Fermanagh (except towards the end of the 90's etc).  To that end, Roslea may have the motivation and ability to spring a shock in this years Championship. They just won the Junior Championship too didn't they?
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermGael

Caid Roslea have 3.
James Sherry, Peter Sherry and Seamus Quigley
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Caid

Ya I noticed that but the wiki data is as of the Cavan match so I just ran with that. Quigley came in after that I think
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

sammymaguire

Roslea look like a hungry youthful team and the experience coming from the sideline in the shape of McGinnity so it will be interesting to see if they can follow up the impressive victory over Teemore against the defending champions. The ability to keep cool heads under pressure and to see some of the other forwards or midfielders scoring will become more important as the championship progresses. Quigley is a class act, sticking over frees from outside the 50 off the ground is really what Fermanagh need. There are question marks everywhere over this game and it will surely be much tighter so if St Pats can handle Quigley and keep the game tight or be in front with 10 to go it could swing the match in their favour.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Jimmyjimson

I was at the double header in Tempo on Saturday night. St Joe's v Irvinestown game was actually close enough until the last 15 mins or so when Ederney pulled away. They always had the greater scoring threat though and Ferris was knocking over long range frees for fun. Irvinestown have a couple of very good young players, Murphy who played around midfield looks particularly handy but the problem is they've had to promote too many players this year who aren't ready for senior football.  It'll be interesting to see how many of the 'soccer' players come back. Coa could put it up to Ederney in the next round but I suppose it depends how many of their soccer players play on the day. Without McGrath in midfield Ederney are a bit light in this department but all of their forwards are quick and nippy and Peter Gormley should be back for the next game which will give them a bit more direction.

The senior game wasn't the best standard but it was virtually ruined by the referee and the linesmen. Skea only started playing in the 2nd half after they conceded what was a very soft goal. Kille scored an absolute clinker of a goal and when the chips were down he and Aidy Little provided that bit of class up front which was the difference on the night. Paddy Moane is a big loss for Brookeboro and in the 1st half in particular Skea could have been in for at least 3 goals. In the last five mins or so Brookeboro virtually owned the ball but their shot selection was poor. With the exception of Rooney none of the forwards looked confident in front of the posts. Thought McKenna had a great game at full back for the winners. As for the sendings off the Skea centre forward was put off for mouthing and the second was for the big sub (Clancy I think) for an alleged strike after a hop ball schamozle. Skea were convinced that the Brookeboro corner back had dived but I was too far away to see what really happened. You can't see Newtown haven't too many problems with Skea in the next round but it'll be a bit of a derby so you never know.

bredaghgael

Regular guest Joe Brolly will be joined this year by fellow Derry man and Antrim Football Manager Liam Bradley,
Armagh's Oisin Mc Conville and Cork's All-Ireland Hurling winning Captain in 1990,RTE Hurling analyst Tomás Mulcahy.
Other guests will be confirmed closer to the event
Throw-in @ 8.30pm and MC for the event will be Jerome Quinn.

Tickets £10 to include entry to a draw for two All-Ireland Hurling Final tickets and two All-Ireland Football Final tickets

FermGael

Results from last night

SFL 1

Enniskillen    1-10   1-9   Newtownbutler       
Tempo    1-12   1-12   St. Patricks

Teemore beat Derrygonnelly and Roslea beat Devenish. Not sure of the scorelines.
Belcoo and St Josephs play on Sunday.

Updated table after last night results.  I would say that Roslea and Teemore and probably Devenish are now safe.  After that it's anybody's guess.  Derrygonnelly look to be on the slide and an important win for the Gaels last night too.  Anybody from Newtown down can still get relegated with 4 rounds still left to play.
In Div 2 Erne Gaels are up and Lisnaskea need one more win to get up as well.

Manor House SFL 1                                                                       
Team   Played   Points
Roslea    14   19
Teemore    14   18
Devenish    14   16
Newtownbutler    14   14
Tempo    14   14
Belcoo    13   13
Enniskillen    14   13
Derrygonnelly    14   11
St. Josephs    13   10
St. Patricks    14   10

SFL 2
Brookeboro    0-11   1-12   Erne Gaels       
Lisnaskea    1-14   0-7   Derrylin       
Irvinestown    3-11   1-6   Coa

FermGael

Result from today
St. Josephs    0-3   3-14   Belcoo

Leaves the table like this

Manor House SFL 1                                                                       
Team   Played   Points
Roslea    14   19
Teemore    14   18
Devenish    14   16
Belcoo    14   15
Newtownbutler    14   14
Tempo    14   14
Enniskillen    14   13
Derrygonnelly    14   11
St. Josephs    134  10
St. Patricks    14   10

Jimmyjimson

Nearly slipped from the front page there.

Any more thoughts on the weekend Championship matches ?

Friday 21st August

In Brookeboro at 7pm
SFC Quarter Final
Roslea V St Patrick's

Saturday 22nd August

In Enniskillen at 5.30pm
IFC Semi Final
Derrylin V Kinawley
At 7pm
SFC Quarter Final
Derrygonnelly V Tempo

In Donagh at 7pm
SFC Quarter Final
Newtownbutler V Lisnaskea

Sunday 23rd August

In Kinawley at 5.30pm
IFC Semi Final
Coa V St Josephs
at 7.00pm
SFC Quarter Final
Devenish V Enniskillen

I'd go for Roslea, Tempo, Newtownbutler & Enniskillen in the Seniors and Ederny & Kinawley in the Intermediate.

118cmal

I think most people are going for a Kinawley vs St Joe's final in the intermediate. 

In the senior I think the Gaels vs Devenish will be a cracking game.  Devenish have a great mix of youth and experience and may have too much going forward for the Gaels.

Otherwise, I can see Roslea progressing handily enough, Derrygonnelly beating Tempo and Newtown beating Skea in a bad-tempered affair!

FermGael

Quote from: 118cmal on August 19, 2009, 01:27:07 PM
I think most people are going for a Kinawley vs St Joe's final in the intermediate. 

In the senior I think the Gaels vs Devenish will be a cracking game.  Devenish have a great mix of youth and experience and may have too much going forward for the Gaels.

Otherwise, I can see Roslea progressing handily enough, Derrygonnelly beating Tempo and Newtown beating Skea in a bad-tempered affair!

One thing the Gaels have is a good defence.
I think Devenish have a suspect full back line.  The Gaels still have Bradley, McCabe, M Keenan and McCarron playing in the forward line.  Strong enough i feel to give them a win but it will be close.  Maybe even a replay.

Tempo should beat Derrygonnelly who are a shambles this year by all accounts.

I think St Pat's may sneak it against Roslea.  J Sherry will have his hands full at midfield.  Young Cosgrove and McDermott could shade this sector and if St Pat's can keep a handle on Quigley, then they have every chance. If they get the ball in early to Eamonn, he could do damage.

Newtown should have to much for Lisnaskea.  And yes i agree, it will be bad tempered. 

In the Intermediate, it seems like a  Kinawley vs St Joe's final

118cmal

Speaking of bad-tempered, I'd say the Kinawley Derrylin game will have a few big hits in it as well.  was at the league game in Derrylin last yer, 5/6 red cards.  carnage.  Derrylin only scored a point that day and I can see Kinawley easily progressing to the final.

118cmal

ExiledGael

Roslea 2-2 St Pat's 0-1 after 25 minutes.
Goal each for the Quigley brothers. Both from high balls in.